PDA

View Full Version : Should It Be Legal To Sale Raccoon Meat??

Valley Station
01-15-2009, 08:51 AM
On another thread under General Hunting, there is reference to it being legal for Missouri trappers to sale the meat of raccoons that they trap.
Here in Kentucky it is Illegal to sale the meat. Why illegal for animals like raccoon and opposoms, where there is NO harvest limits, anyway??
In Kentucky, with NO wanton waste laws, most trappers skin the animal , then throw the carcass in a "sink hole". What would be wrong with selling the carcasses of coons and possoms?? Would be a big local market for many urban trappers.
Instead of a grinner bingin' 50 cents, trapper could get $3 or $4.
It's a shame to waste the meat, many would love to have it.
What do the trappers think??

CVN71 Ordnance
01-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Sounds good to me :D

K9trapper
01-15-2009, 05:42 PM
They do it a lot down south, I'm not sure the reason it's illegal here.

Snareman2
01-16-2009, 09:58 PM
They do it a lot down south, I'm not sure the reason it's illegal here.

Yeah, Big market down south. Instead of smoked chicken, they throw a coon on the grill.:D

KYhunter79
01-17-2009, 02:51 AM
I don't think it should be legal. There is a reason that meat for wholesale has to be inspected. You never know how the hunter/trapper handled the meat. It may have layed dead in a trap for 2 or 3 days. Or a hunter may have shot it with a shotgun and someone may get sick from the exposure to the lead. Way too many risks.

K9trapper
01-17-2009, 07:56 AM
I don't think it should be legal. There is a reason that meat for wholesale has to be inspected. You never know how the hunter/trapper handled the meat. It may have layed dead in a trap for 2 or 3 days. Or a hunter may have shot it with a shotgun and someone may get sick from the exposure to the lead. Way too many risks.

If it layed in a trap for a couple days? We have a 24 hour check law.

I don't think raccoon would be on the menu in every household. Or at the local farmers' market. But if I caught some raccoons and had a friend that wanted to buy them from me, wouldn't be alright to sell them? As the law/reg. is now, I cannot take any money for them. So the raccoon market is whatever the pelt will sell for at auction. If raccoons were worth more, then people would catch more.

KYhunter79
01-17-2009, 04:14 PM
If it layed in a trap for a couple days? We have a 24 hour check law.

Yeah, I know. But, doubt that everyone follows that law. Just like not everyone is going to follow any law especially game laws.