PDA

View Full Version : Any word on possible duck hunters missing on KY Lake?

mrdux
01-10-2009, 06:35 PM
My Mom and Dad tend to spend part of their later years listening to the local police/emergency scanner. Today there was word of some possible drownings on Ky Lake. Best they could tell was there may have been 4 involved and one had been rescued but others were missing and being searched for. Word was they were duck hunters. I haven't heard any more and my local CO called the shop for a duck hunting report just after I heard about the missing hunters. The CO had not heard of it but was checking it out as soon as we got off the phone.

Any word?

B.M. Barrelcooker
01-10-2009, 06:40 PM
http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=686183

Triton
01-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Bad deal there.... Hope everything turns out for the best.

quackrstackr
01-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Fingers crossed that they find the rest of them alive and well.

It only takes a second to get in big trouble.

12 pointer
01-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Fingers crossed that they find the rest of them alive and well.

It only takes a second to get in big trouble.

lost two church members down there a few years ago. fishing at the damn and didn't get away in time. hung anchor in that case. I pray they are ok.

schroader
01-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Over on the refugefourom.com they said they just found one more and took him to the hospital.

B.M. Barrelcooker
01-10-2009, 07:29 PM
a twelve footer doesn't belong on KY-lake after september..............if ever. poor souls. God have mercy on them thruogh the night.

quackrstackr
01-10-2009, 07:35 PM
I just got a bad phone call.

One of the boys is a friend of mine's son and they are all buddies with my nephew.

philipfleek
01-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Man, I hate to here this. keep us posted a prayer goes up for them!

quackrstackr
01-10-2009, 07:52 PM
My buddy's son is one of the two that they have found. I'm pretty sure they were all high school aged boys.

schroader
01-10-2009, 07:54 PM
I sent one up for them.

B.M. Barrelcooker
01-10-2009, 07:57 PM
same here, and their families

westkybanded
01-10-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm thankful for every time I get to put my feet back on land...

Thoughts are with the families affected.

Lost_in_the_woods
01-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Hope they all turn up ok. I agree with BM boat that size doesnt need to be out on the lake and even more so with that many in it. Prayers with them and the families.

B.M. Barrelcooker
01-10-2009, 08:10 PM
I just heard it was a twelve footer....that is not a fact. ANY boat can be bad on that lake.

Lost_in_the_woods
01-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Ah ok. Yeah thats very true, gonna hope though that it wasn't that small a boat up there. I would take one out in some of the bays but not the main part. Anymore, the way that lake is I wouldn't take less than a 16 foot out. Dad got flipped a few years back out fishing in a 14 footer we had by somebody flying by in thier bass boat. Luckily he was close in the bay and near the truck.

ducknbuckhunter
01-10-2009, 08:42 PM
i will take my 12ft in the bays and put along the banks.....but out in the main thats is definate NO!!!!;) i hope the boys are alll okay my prayers to them and families

Turkin8or
01-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Prayers sent......
Everyone knows how quick it can get bad out there...

pentail
01-10-2009, 09:30 PM
hate to hear that, prayers for the two they have found and the two they haven't.

Guys, I know its a pain in the butt, but wear your pfd when you are in a boat in the cold. I don't care how short the distance or shallow the water. Your waders get full and your clothes soaked and you just don't stand much of a chance in water that cold.

Turkin8or
01-10-2009, 10:02 PM
The report over on WPSD TV 6 says that of 7:30 PM there are still 3 missing and that the search is being called off for tonight????
http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/story/UPDATE-Water-Search-Rescue-Effort-Suspended/H7dLGIINKEmAtusny93qXA.cspx
Can anyone else confirm otherwise on finding the second hunter I hope?

quackrstackr
01-10-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm on the phone right now.

So far as his mother knows, my buddy's boy is the only one that they have recovered so far and he is in an out. :(

Turkin8or
01-10-2009, 10:58 PM
hope that report changes fo the better...:(

Turkin8or
01-10-2009, 11:29 PM
They just showed some footage of the boat on the news...it looked like a fair sized boat but it was hard to tell....

duckslayer870
01-11-2009, 12:34 AM
God help these young men. does anyone know where they 're from? I will be prayin for them.

quackrstackr
01-11-2009, 06:12 AM
They are all from Mayfield/Graves county.

bnt5
01-11-2009, 08:52 AM
what part of the lake did this happen in? I have never been on KY lake but I know the Ohio river and I would venture out during winter in anything under 16' feet and that's just a river and right next to the bank. I supppose they were trying to cross a wide open area. Keep them and their families in prayers they are definately in need.

ril7572
01-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Thought and prayers are with the family of each young man involved. This is a terrible situation:(

drakeshooter
01-11-2009, 12:19 PM
They all come into my store in Mayfield before and after hunting. I've talked to them a few times on how they are doing and what they have killed. A local CO gets his gas from us and was leaving this morning to start searching again. He looked pretty grim and didn't have much hope of turning up anymore survivors. I'm praying for a miracle right now.

12 pointer
01-11-2009, 12:38 PM
They all come into my store in Mayfield before and after hunting. I've talked to them a few times on how they are doing and what they have killed. A local CO gets his gas from us and was leaving this morning to start searching again. He looked pretty grim and didn't have much hope of turning up anymore survivors. I'm praying for a miracle right now.

God Bless them and all the families. Makes me miss my son that much more right now. I just gave away a perfect pair of size 2XX neoprene grass camo chest waders size 13. I Have no desire to drown in Ice water.

duckslayer870
01-11-2009, 03:28 PM
I just read that they are now calling it a recovery effort on WPSDTV web site. (local news station) I dont really now any words of comfort. I know it was cold last night and the odds are low for these young men. Prayers are needed for the families and friends. I pray that they made it to shore.

turk2di
01-11-2009, 03:34 PM
This is absolutely horrible. Prayers for all concerned. Hope the young man clinging to life pulls thru. I can remember as a youngster venturing out to hunt ducks.

WhitetailHunter2000
01-11-2009, 04:21 PM
We put my boat in at Ky Dam Marina and putted around the banks between there and Sledd Creek and along the rip rap that goes along Hwy 62. I pray these families get some closure real soon...

ril7572
01-11-2009, 05:25 PM
We put my boat in at Ky Dam Marina and putted around the banks between there and Sledd Creek and along the rip rap that goes along Hwy 62. I pray these families get some closure real soon...

Did this happen near Sledd creek?

12 pointer
01-11-2009, 05:31 PM

Slideshow
Members of Saturday's water search and rescue effort comb Kentucky Lake looking for three juveniles who fell into the water. (Mason Watkins , WPSD Local 6) SUNDAY, 5 P.M. REPORT BY LAUREN ADAMS

MARSHALL COUNTY, KY - Sunday afternoon, the recovery effort for three juveniles continued in Marshall County, Kentucky.

Saturday afternoon, a boat carrying four juveniles capsized while the group was duck hunting on Kentucky Lake near Little Bear Highway. Emergency crews found one survivor who is recovering at a local hospital.

Search and rescue workers suspended the search for the other three Saturday night because of cold temperatures and water conditions which could harm divers and rescuers.

"At that point we couldn't keep the water out of the boats for the rescue people," Marshall County Rescue Squad Chief Carl Curtner told Local 6.

The effort was re-launched Sunday morning as a recovery effort.

"I know they're young. And physical conditions? Miracles do happen and we hope for them at all times. Somebody found a sandal and (we) got excited. Obviously, it was dry rotted on the bank, summertime, probably fell out of somebody's pontoon boat," Curtner added.

Even so, emergency crews are working unfazed. Teams with horses and four wheelers are combing the shore lines. They did find a dog rescue crew members believe was onboard the boat when it capsized.

Finding the dog might not be a big discovery, but workers said it gave them hope.

"With the dog on the shore, there's a possibility we could encounter the individuals we're searching for also. We keep the faith and keep the hope this will turn out good," Curtner said.

Local 6 spoke with the family of the some of the young men still missing. They told us they refuse to give up. In fact, they told us despite crews calling off the search last night, family and friends continued searching through the night. Also, one family member is bringing in several horses to help in the search.

WhitetailHunter2000
01-11-2009, 05:45 PM

Yes. Sledd Creek I think is between Rocky Point and Ky Dam Marina? or maybe the bay on the other side of Sledd Creek, but near it all the same.

quackrstackr
01-11-2009, 05:49 PM

Mike, it happened just down the lake near Little Bear, as I understand it.

ril7572
01-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Yes. Sledd Creek I think is between Rocky Point and Ky Dam Marina? or maybe the bay on the other side of Sledd Creek, but near it all the same.

Thanks, I spend alot of time there during the summer.

I wish I was there to offer some help.

quackrstackr
01-11-2009, 06:05 PM
I just saw the WPSD video of the recovery effort. The boat appeared to be larger than the 12 footer that has been reported with what looked to have a 25 hp or so outboard on it. Regardless, it's easy to take a wave over the transom or shift too much weight to one side of a light boat.

I have not heard much more on the condition of my friend's boy. I heard that he was transferred but I haven't been able to confirm that yet.

Lost_in_the_woods
01-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Just checked WPSD website and they have suspended the search again tonite. Hate that this has happened. Praying for the families.

quackrstackr
01-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Any word , this long outcome can't be good. Hope some miracle will happen .

There is a lot of speculation and misinformation flying around right now. I would not believe anything that I heard until it came from some official source.

I just talked to a friend that has talked this afternoon to the father of the boy that was found yesterday. Per the boy's account, they were heading across the lake in search of a better hunting area when they started taking on quite a bit of water from waves breaking over the boat. They had no bilge pump and no way to bail water so they started trying to bail with their hands. That wasn't working so they pulled the plug and attempted to run the boat at full speed to drain the water. Just as that seemingly started to work, something happend but he wasn't sure what it was. The boat swamped immediately and overturned.

I can only speculate but I assume they must have taken another wave at speed that not only filled the boat but slowed it enough for water to start flooding through the drain as well.

A tragic, tragic accident that has apparently claimed the lives of some young men way too early in life.

UKDucks
01-11-2009, 10:32 PM
It is sicking to hear this... my prayers for the guys and their families.

JohnChops
01-11-2009, 10:44 PM
My prayers go out for the boys and families involved.

I hunt Kentucky and Barkely very regularly for divers and I am always thinking about something similar happening to me.

People think that the lakes would be easy to hunt and navigate because they only are on them in the summer when the weather is right and the waters are deeper and warm.

Most of you, like me, know that KY/Barkley are very different animals in the dead of winter. Rough, cold, shallow in most spots. Very easy to run aground, hit something, or get turned over.

Everyone please be careful out there. This can happen to any one of us at any time. Whether you have been on those lakes 60 years or 60 days.

12 pointer
01-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Year before last, my older brother and younger brother were lost in the fog in the main chalnnel for over an hour. So thick they were not sure where they were. They didn't see land for over an hour. Easily, they could have met a bad fate. When they finally found a cove, they were WAY off course. Not sure how that could happen but scared the crap out of them both.

crossfire
01-12-2009, 10:55 AM
3 are students at Mayfield High School, while 1 is Graves County. Word is, search and rescue found some PFD's thought to belong to this group, which is not a good sign for the two not yet found.

quackrstackr
01-12-2009, 11:18 AM
If they have been exposed to the elements this long and not stumbled across a road for rescue already, I'm not sure that there is any good news to be had anyway.

drakeshooter
01-12-2009, 01:36 PM
According to the news they have recovered one body and think they found the others on sonar. This is a tragic situation all around and one that especially hits close to home for those of us who duck hunt or fish in those conditions.

drakeshooter
01-12-2009, 02:00 PM
They have found one alive and one body. Other than that it is speculation.

12 pointer
01-12-2009, 03:00 PM

Awful. Just plain awful. Thought and Prayers with the families and friends.:(

artcarney_agr
01-12-2009, 03:10 PM
MONDAY, 10:30 A.M.

MARSHALL COUNTY, KY- Emergency workers tell Local 6 that one of the three missing teens was found overnight. The body of 18-year-old Trevor Williams was found Sunday night. He was a senior at Mayfield High School. The search continues for the two other boys. Tyler Heathcott was found alive Saturday afternoon. He is in stable condition at Marshall County Hospital.

Man this is a terrible deal. They left out of Rocky Point, one that I've taken off from many times. Early in the morning, you can't really see the waves from the ramp very well, since it's in a little pocket. But once you hit the main lake, you find out real quick! The worst part is that it gets really really bad out in the middle - if these boys were crossing the lake, I would speculate that's what they ran into. I've been in that situation myself, and once you're in it, it's hard to get out...turning around is not an option because taking a wave broadside would easily roll you over. I would guess that these boys have made the same trip time and time again without problems, and in doing so got false sense of security. I'm guilty of the same, and incidents such as these are a wake up call that things can go wrong and that we all should take necessary precautions, no matter what. My thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and families of these young men.

crossfire
01-12-2009, 03:55 PM

This is accurate information, as well as the information Art posted above.

kyhunter24
01-12-2009, 04:17 PM
The only thing I have heard is what has been posted on our local news channel. It is a sad story, I send my prayers to the families.

http://www.wlky.com/news/18461713/detail.html

Wildcat
01-12-2009, 06:17 PM
http://my.att.net/s/editorial.dll?pnum=1&bfromind=7406&eeid=6320329&_sitecat=1522&dcatid=0&eetype=article&render=y&ac=0&ck=&ch=ne&rg=blsadstrgt&_lid=332&_lnm=tg+ne+topnews&ck=

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - Whether it was football or duck hunting, high school classmates Trevor Williams and Tyler Heathcott did it together.

But Saturday, what started a fun day of hunting on a western Kentucky lake ended when their boat capsized, killing Williams and leaving Heathcott barely conscious when he was plucked from the cold water.

Two other young hunters aboard the boat had not been found as of Monday evening.

Williams and Heathcott, both seniors, started two seasons on the offensive line for the Mayfield High School football team, said head coach Joe Morris. Williams played center, and Heathcott was next to him at left guard. Morris said he was told one of the missing hunters also was a football players.

He called the three good friends who loved the outdoors "quality kids who had a great work ethic."

"We all knew they hunted all the time," Morris said. "That's what they enjoyed doing."

Searchers found the body of the 18-year-old Williams in Little Bear Creek on Kentucky Lake, said Marshall County Coroner Mitchell Lee.

It was Shane James who pulled Heathcott out of the choppy waters onto a pontoon boat about 300 to 400 yards from shore. James was remodeling a house near Kentucky Lake in Gilbertsville when a neighbor alerted him that someone was in the water.

When James reached him, the young duck hunter was wearing a life jacket but was so cold that he could not even wave his hands as his rescuers approached, James said.

"He was just barely conscious," James said in a phone interview Monday. "He could talk just enough to say that he couldn't move. He was just blue and freezing to the touch."

James said he and the neighbor wrapped the teen in a sweat shirt and a tarp on the pontoon. He said the teen later told him that three others had fallen in the lake near Paducah, but he didn't know where they were.

James said he returned to look for other survivors but only found hip waders, tennis shoes and some floating debris.

Williams did not have on a life jacket when his body was recovered, said Lee, who would not name the two missing hunters.

slickhead slayer
01-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Sad all the way around. There is a larger thread on this on the waterfowling forum.

RutNBuck
01-12-2009, 07:41 PM
sad story whats even worse is that most of us have been in the same scernio only we made it back safely just goes to show it only takes a minute or secs to make a good day hunting turn terribly wrong..please everyone should say a prayer for our fellow hunters and THIS should be in the back or our minds each time we do the same...

schroader
01-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Lets just keep the familys in our prays.Im sure they could use all they can get..

lab
01-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Absolutely heartbreaking news. May God lay a blanket of comfort over the affected families.:(

zfd8131
01-12-2009, 11:16 PM
just seen on the news that one of the hunters was found dead. very sad story prayers go out to the families and friends who knows these fellow hunters. hopefully the other 2 will be found alive.. keep the prayers going...

Farmer Vincent
01-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Yesterday morning I was in Snipe Creek (just No. of Blood River), and I saw something I've never seen before.
Three (3) male Bald Eagles gliding into the cove in single file! They then circled the back of the cove, and snatched some Coots on the other side.

I then heard the sad news about our young brothers, and I just got a permanent chill.

quackrstackr
01-13-2009, 04:24 PM
http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73600

JohnChops
01-13-2009, 06:38 PM
No help coming from the weather side of things. Keep posting updates. I am stuck up here in Lexington and would like to know what is going on. Still praying for a miracle, but at this point things are looking very bleak.

Tonight (http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxdetail/42003?dayNum=0)
Jan 13

http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/29.gif?12122006
Partly Cloudy

N/A
22°

10%

Wed (http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxdetail/42003?dayNum=1)
Jan 14

http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/24.gif?12122006
Partly Cloudy / Wind

43°
12°

10%

Thu (http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxdetail/42003?dayNum=2)
Jan 15

http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/32.gif?12122006
Sunny

20°
10°

0%

Fri (http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxdetail/42003?dayNum=3)
Jan 16

http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/30.gif?12122006
Partly Cloudy

28°
20°

0%

Farmer Vincent
01-14-2009, 11:58 AM
No help coming from the weather side of things
This cold snap will lead to a huge demand for energy, which means that the turbines will be running regularly at the dam. Searching near there will be difficult at best, and (I hate to say it) if somebody is in the water near there, they could easily end up in the Ohio.

quackrstackr
01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
They have been pulling the heck out of the lake for over a month now with demands for electricity and a higher flow rate in the rivers from winter precip.

ril7572
01-14-2009, 02:45 PM
They are pulling almost 200,000 CFS through Kentucky dam. That would have to make this effort much more difficult:mad:

12 pointer
01-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Not to speculate , but do you think those poor boys are hung up in brush , wadders holding them under , or the currents ? I have never been or seen this lake . Just curious , would like them to find them so the family can give them a proper burial .:(

Really hard to say. This lakes are big. lthough I do not personally know how far off shore this happened. There is alot of current due to the dam below creating energy. There are crews coming Tuesday from Illinois, Louisana, and Texas. The crew from Texas is bringing High Tech sonar imaging equipment. God Bless these boys families! Dang.:(

quackrstackr
01-14-2009, 02:55 PM
KY Lake is full of things that could be holding or camoflauging them. Also, the surface acreage needing to be covered because of wind and currents is enormous.

quackrstackr
01-14-2009, 03:31 PM
I met a search team and boat headed north while on my way to work this morning.

artcarney_agr
01-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Got an update a little while ago in an email:

[http://www.paducahsun.com/articles/stories/members_only/200901/15/0009QQpp_news.html] (http://www.paducahsun.com/articles/stories/members_only/200901/15/0009QQpp_news.html%5D)

Survivor tells uncle what happened before boat went under

By Leigh Landini Wright

GILBERTSVILLE, Ky. — The teenage boys who fell into Kentucky Lake while duck hunting on Saturday were wearing life jackets, according to a family member.
Cory Williams, uncle of Trevor Williams, whose body was pulled from the lake on Sunday, said the boys put their johnboat into the water off Rocky Point on Saturday morning. The winds were calm in the morning but picked up by afternoon.
“The boys decided to pick up and come back,” he said. “When the waves came in over the back of the boat, it was a lot of water.”
They had pulled the plug in the boat and had on their life jackets. Three of the boys had on jackets that zipped up the front. One boy had on a jacket that hugged his neck, Williams said.
“When they hit the water, they knew they had to get their chest waders off,” Williams said. “To unsnap them, they had to take off their life jackets. To unsnap them and then with the water temperature and 3-foot waves, they were not able to put the jackets back on.”
Williams said two of the jackets were recovered near the boat.
“We want the public to know that these boys were experienced boaters and very safe on the water,” Williams said. “The conditions just caught them off guard. It was an unfortunate accident. If there was a checklist on how to survive this type of boating accident, these boys did it.”
Williams said Heathcott told him that the waves were 3-4 feet with winds at 15-20 mph. “The boys did not have a chance,” he said.
Williams said all four boys (Trevor Williams, Jacob Scott, McKenzie Stanley and Heathcott) were experienced fishermen and hunters and took precautions.
Lori Scott, Jacob Scott’s mother, also said her son was a veteran hunter. The boys had hunted and fished on Kentucky Lake all their lives and also had hunted in Missouri and in Barlow, Scott said. “This wasn’t new to them,” she said.
The family also had just bought him new chest waders and a duck coat for Christmas. “All of that is with him now,” Scott said.
A search-and-rescue dog named Roscoe, a yellow Labrador retriever, assisted the search for Scott and Stanley on Wednesday.
“It brings something more to the table,” Scott said. “It’s another tool to use in locating them.”
Divers from Mermet Springs, Ill., and Tennessee helped rescue workers when sonar spotted a possibility. In an e-mail, Scott said Kentucky Lake still has debris from the 2005 tornado that affected the Moors Camp area as well as submerged stumps and trees from the formation of the lake in the 1940s. The debris makes it more difficult for sonar equipment to spot what might be a body underneath the water.
Duane Hawes, chief deputy director of Marshall County Emergency Management, identified “points of interest” as the area close to where Heathcott was rescued on Saturday. Williams’ body was found 500 yards from the shore, officials said previously.
The boys also had taken a yellow Labrador retriever named Drake on their hunting trip. The dog remains missing, Williams said.
Scott said the time she spent making phone calls and searching the Internet for information on dive teams has paid off with additional resources arriving such as divers from Illinois. Texas EquuSearch had planned to send a team Wednesday but its sonar equipment required repair, Hawes said. The group and its equipment should arrive today.
Hawes said Artic temperatures anticipated for today will slow searchers. “We’ve got our boats out, and we’re hoping for the very best,” he said.
The search was suspended late Wednesday afternoon and should resume this morning.

The families of the missing teens also want to help relieve rescue workers, many of whom have foregone paychecks this week to assist with the recovery. Donations may be sent to His House Ministries, 1250 Ky. 303, Mayfield, KY 42066.
The families express their gratitude to friends and strangers who have offered donations of food and supplies, everything from body warmers to toilet tissue to vitamins. Morrisey Contractors enclosed the pavilion where the families and volunteers have taken breaks and eaten, Scott said.
“I’ve had phone calls from people offering to personally foot the bill” for the search, Scott said.
“The community outpouring is unlike anything I’ve ever seen,” said David Scott, Jacob’s father. “I’m very pleased.”

Leigh Landini Wright can be contacted at 575-8658.

http://www.paducahsun.com

12 pointer
01-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Again, I am at a total loss for words. God bless these families.

duxdown 1
01-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks again for keeping us all updated. I have sons and they love to hunt. I can not imagine what the familys are going through. I pray that all the boys knew Christ and the familys can draw strength on that.

Signed SAD!!

B.M. Barrelcooker
01-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks again for keeping us all updated. I have sons and they love to hunt. I can not imagine what the familys are going through. I pray that all the boys knew Christ and the familys can draw strength on that.

Signed SAD!!

That is right on.

We get geeked up about this and that but the only thing that matters in this life is how much of his love we show each other. ST. Pete won't ask us how many greenheads we killed or if we ever shot an extra hen. He is only concerned with who we put our feeble and waivering faith in. I have lost one child and don't know that I could take that again but it is good to know that the Lord is there and that he cares and understands more than we are capable of forever and ever. God Have mercy on those families. Have Mercy on us all.

matewsq2
01-15-2009, 11:28 PM
10:00 o'clock news on local 6 says there is still two of the boys missing and these temps slowed recovery efferts this a.m. god bless all of them an their families an those of us that make have made it home to our families from our trips in gods great outdoors!!!!

hooknshoot
01-17-2009, 01:33 AM
God I,m sittting here with tears on my cheek,s this is awful may GOD spare these family from anymore pain my prayers are are sent to the heaven.s hopefully they find these boy,s soon

WhitetailHunter2000
01-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Nope. They're still searching for the remaining 2.

Giveem3outdoors
01-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Any word on these boy?

wademup
01-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Search continues,we have had terrible winds all this week,today it is fairly light so hopefully something good will come today.

matewsq2
01-21-2009, 10:38 PM
anyone herd any thing on the kids still missing?

ril7572
01-23-2009, 05:39 PM
http://site.kyduckhuntingsearchandrescue.com/Home_Page.php

WhitetailHunter2000
02-07-2009, 05:54 PM
What is the latest with the search?

quackrstackr
02-09-2009, 07:28 AM
It was halted due to the ice storm and the resources being needed elsewhere.

According to a report last week, it was to resume but they gave no date as of when.

Big E
02-09-2009, 08:39 PM
i can't imagine...God bless them.
Monday February 9, 2009 - Update from Lori Scott (Jacob Scott's mother)

I plead for your help today. We are being denied outside help from Marshall County DES until KY takes over which will not begin until Thursday. During this process, we have been plagued with poor weather, but our best weather opportunities came on Sunday (yesterday), and again today. But, again, Marshall County DES would not send a simple Mutual Aid Agreement Request to outside counties willing to come to our aid. They refused outside help. They would not follow up on the offered assistance of Boone County, KY on 3 occasions. We have confirmed multiple reports of refused help from these counties, because DES coordinators would not send a simple mutual aid request. We have had finger after finger pointed in another direction, stating someone else is in charge. It’s just one big finger pointing circle. No one knows who is in charge. No one wants to be in charge!

We had spoke with Boone County through the Seth Foundation and had them get their equipment and teams ready. All they needed was a simple Mutual Aid Agreement request from Marshall County DES. However, it took the DES coordinator 48 hours because of their lack of dedication and follow-through to send a simple one page FAX for that request.

I am distraught at this point. I desperately need some answers. There was absolutely no excuse that can be given to me for officials to not be on the water yesterday with the perfect weather conditions and again today with perfect weather conditions (before noon), no wind, good water surface conditions. We have not had a single official boat on the water since the day the ice hit. However, Trevor’s dad, Clay, and the other fathers, uncles, and FRIENDS have been on the water daily. The ice never stopped them. We have installed side scan sonar’s on family and friends boats to keep this recovery mission going. I am a tax paying citizen and I have been denied help.

I want you to know that not one call, not one attempt, came from Marshall County DES since 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, (the evening prior to ice storm). I know Marshall County was tied up handling the warming shelters, but again, there were outside counties and agencies willing to come in and assist but were never granted the mutual aid request. This is not a time consuming process to issue that request. I talked to the coordinator and they simply
did not do it. They were trying to pass it off to someone who didn’t havethe authority to issue the request. Marshall County DES coordinator, even tried to hand it off to Graves County, which I explained to him was not logical or legal or protocol. The home county must issue the mutual aid request, unless the state is involved. If the State is involved, then that request must come from the KY DES Coordinator. However, the ball was dropped by BOTH of these two individuals. We have dealt with so many politics, so much red tape, and so many ego trips by Marshall County that it sickens me. This is because Marshall County does not care about the return of these boys. They are just waiting for our boys to surface. Now, the soonest that the state of KY can step into assist us will be
Thursday.

I need you to be asking a lot of questions from your representatives, our Governor, our DES people. The rescue squads are not given the equipment they need, the funds they need, or the training they need to perform missions of recovery. They are not prepared, not because of the individuals but because we have POOR leadership who have not acted upon implementation of disaster preparation. It’s called being prepared. It’s called thinking ahead. It’s called using your head!! Other surrounding areas around us have experienced drownings and recovery missions and seem to know what is expected, what equipment is needed, and how to establish grids and who needs to run these incidents. But, again,
the State of Kentucky is operating in the cave man era. They are behind other states and only make excuses. We pay taxes, and they use it up. We pay taxes and they don’t use it to be prepared for what might happen! But Marshall County lacks ethic period! Of all the taxes paid into Marshall County, with a huge beautiful lake area, why not be prepared?

I am sure if this were Gov. Beshear’s son in KY Lake, we would have had 40 boats on the water looking for him, and not just from 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., but 24/7. There were some good days where no one showed up on the water until 11:30 a.m.!

We have not been afforded respect from Marshall County DES. Daily communication should have been afforded to myself and Rebecca (MacKenzie’s mother). I contacted the Seth Foundation last night. I contacted Gene Ralston last night. Sheila from the Seth Foundation is attempting to put a team together to leave today to assist us, but it whoever we can get to come, and whatever equipment is available at the time they leave. Gene Ralston
is putting together his equipment and driving from Idaho, but realistically probably cannot be here at the site until Thursday.

God bless the volunteers and the rescue workers who are all volunteers. The volunteers all hold full time jobs and they don’t have equipment to assist. Continue to pray for the cold-hearted, poor leadership of Marshall County DES and our Marshall County “leaders”. I have seen absolutely no leadership, no planning, no coordination, no respect, from them.

quackrstackr
02-09-2009, 08:53 PM
I understand Mrs. Scott's plight, I really do.

With that said, at some point, you have to wonder how much is enough and how much more manpower and money that they are going to put into body recovery. I have no idea what this is costing per day but I am sure that it is not cheap and it is not all volunteer. Also, DES has probably been run completely ragged with an ice storm that disabled everyone in the region falling on top of a recovery effort that had been running non-stop for 2 solid weeks. There are still people all over Marshall county without power that need help

She praises in one breath and blasts in the next. I am sure that she just needs to vent but I am not sure that a public internet/email campaign flaming people that can not dedicate 100% of their focus on her situation may necessarily the best venue for it.

12 pointer
02-09-2009, 09:53 PM
I understand Mrs. Scott's plight, I really do.

With that said, at some point, you have to wonder how much is enough and how much more manpower and money that they are going to put into body recovery. I have no idea what this is costing per day but I am sure that it is not cheap and it is not all volunteer. Also, DES has probably been run completely ragged with an ice storm that disabled everyone in the region falling on top of a recovery effort that had been running non-stop for 2 solid weeks. There are still people all over Marshall county without power that need help

She praises in one breath and blasts in the next. I am sure that she just needs to vent but I am not sure that a public internet/email campaign flaming people that can not dedicate 100% of their focus on her situation may necessarily the best venue for it.

I just got a bonus call from my son from Ft. Leonardwood. As most know, he is in basic training. They were rewarded today for kicking some arse as he said. I can't imagine this womans emotions of what she is going thru. I just can't imagine.

bandchaser
02-10-2009, 07:51 AM
i can't imagine...God bless them.
Monday February 9, 2009 - Update from Lori Scott (Jacob Scott's mother)

I plead for your help today. We are being denied outside help from Marshall County DES until KY takes over which will not begin until Thursday. During this process, we have been plagued with poor weather, but our best weather opportunities came on Sunday (yesterday), and again today. But, again, Marshall County DES would not send a simple Mutual Aid Agreement Request to outside counties willing to come to our aid. They refused outside help. They would not follow up on the offered assistance of Boone County, KY on 3 occasions. We have confirmed multiple reports of refused help from these counties, because DES coordinators would not send a simple mutual aid request. We have had finger after finger pointed in another direction, stating someone else is in charge. It’s just one big finger pointing circle. No one knows who is in charge. No one wants to be in charge!

We had spoke with Boone County through the Seth Foundation and had them get their equipment and teams ready. All they needed was a simple Mutual Aid Agreement request from Marshall County DES. However, it took the DES coordinator 48 hours because of their lack of dedication and follow-through to send a simple one page FAX for that request.

I am distraught at this point. I desperately need some answers. There was absolutely no excuse that can be given to me for officials to not be on the water yesterday with the perfect weather conditions and again today with perfect weather conditions (before noon), no wind, good water surface conditions. We have not had a single official boat on the water since the day the ice hit. However, Trevor’s dad, Clay, and the other fathers, uncles, and FRIENDS have been on the water daily. The ice never stopped them. We have installed side scan sonar’s on family and friends boats to keep this recovery mission going. I am a tax paying citizen and I have been denied help.

I want you to know that not one call, not one attempt, came from Marshall County DES since 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, (the evening prior to ice storm). I know Marshall County was tied up handling the warming shelters, but again, there were outside counties and agencies willing to come in and assist but were never granted the mutual aid request. This is not a time consuming process to issue that request. I talked to the coordinator and they simply
did not do it. They were trying to pass it off to someone who didn’t havethe authority to issue the request. Marshall County DES coordinator, even tried to hand it off to Graves County, which I explained to him was not logical or legal or protocol. The home county must issue the mutual aid request, unless the state is involved. If the State is involved, then that request must come from the KY DES Coordinator. However, the ball was dropped by BOTH of these two individuals. We have dealt with so many politics, so much red tape, and so many ego trips by Marshall County that it sickens me. This is because Marshall County does not care about the return of these boys. They are just waiting for our boys to surface. Now, the soonest that the state of KY can step into assist us will be
Thursday.

I need you to be asking a lot of questions from your representatives, our Governor, our DES people. The rescue squads are not given the equipment they need, the funds they need, or the training they need to perform missions of recovery. They are not prepared, not because of the individuals but because we have POOR leadership who have not acted upon implementation of disaster preparation. It’s called being prepared. It’s called thinking ahead. It’s called using your head!! Other surrounding areas around us have experienced drownings and recovery missions and seem to know what is expected, what equipment is needed, and how to establish grids and who needs to run these incidents. But, again,
the State of Kentucky is operating in the cave man era. They are behind other states and only make excuses. We pay taxes, and they use it up. We pay taxes and they don’t use it to be prepared for what might happen! But Marshall County lacks ethic period! Of all the taxes paid into Marshall County, with a huge beautiful lake area, why not be prepared?

I am sure if this were Gov. Beshear’s son in KY Lake, we would have had 40 boats on the water looking for him, and not just from 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., but 24/7. There were some good days where no one showed up on the water until 11:30 a.m.!

We have not been afforded respect from Marshall County DES. Daily communication should have been afforded to myself and Rebecca (MacKenzie’s mother). I contacted the Seth Foundation last night. I contacted Gene Ralston last night. Sheila from the Seth Foundation is attempting to put a team together to leave today to assist us, but it whoever we can get to come, and whatever equipment is available at the time they leave. Gene Ralston
is putting together his equipment and driving from Idaho, but realistically probably cannot be here at the site until Thursday.

God bless the volunteers and the rescue workers who are all volunteers. The volunteers all hold full time jobs and they don’t have equipment to assist. Continue to pray for the cold-hearted, poor leadership of Marshall County DES and our Marshall County “leaders”. I have seen absolutely no leadership, no planning, no coordination, no respect, from them.

I spent 6 full days of my time on that lake volunteering in the recovery of these two young men. One day we were dragging and running sonar in 3-4 foot rollers, and I almost went over board.

The family has been running these folks in the ground everyday on the scene and now on the internet. But, one day a "leader" gave it back to the family, and stated that he would take 4 family volunteers and put them in 4 boat in these conditions. Nobody stepped forward!!!!!!!!!!

I have had a very close cousin that drown almost 15 years ago in TN. I can not say that most understand what these parents and family members are going through, but they must understand that these departments are all volunteer. That these people have families too, and our current situations are all different. Their sons are not the only tradegy that has happened in the past month! They must understand that the weather that we have had has been a blessing to the clean up and power efforts all across our region and state.

buckfever
02-10-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm sure we'd all agree that the family deserves sympathy during this tough time and that a lot of their misplaced, angry statements should be overlooked as simply the product of their distress at losing their sons.

As QS said, however, the world doesn't stop turning when one person dies. It might not be the way the family or any of us like it, but it's a cold, hard reality of life. There are people that are alive right now that need more help than these 2 boys do. :(

quackrstackr
02-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Ky. to take over search for missing hunters

Last Update: 11:31 am
Print Story (javascript:window.print();) | Email Story (javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$ctl00$ctl00$ctl00$ ctl00$CommonPage$CommonBody$CommonContent$CommonLe ftColumn$Main$V$_$EmailStory',''))
http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/images/textsize/11N.gifhttp://www.wpsdlocal6.com/images/textsize/12S.gifhttp://www.wpsdlocal6.com/images/textsize/14N.gifhttp://www.wpsdlocal6.com/images/textsize/16N.gif

GILBERTSVILLE, Ky. (AP) - Officials in western Kentucky have asked the state to take over a search for two teen hunters so that locals can focus on cleaning up after a massive ice storm.

Marshall County Emergency Services Deputy Director Duane Hawes told The Paducah Sun that the state's Homeland Security office will coordinate search efforts.

Eighteen-year-old McKenzie Stanley and 17-year-old Jacob Scott have been missing since Jan. 10, when their small boat sank on Kentucky Lake while they were duck hunting. A companion, 18-year-old Trevor Williams, died, but a fourth hunter in the boat, Tyler Heathcott, was rescued near shore.

Hawes said Marshall County Emergency Services wants local rescue workers to continue working on damage from an ice storm that hit the state on Jan. 27 and halted search efforts.

Hawes said he expects state personnel to arrive quickly.

---

Information from: The Paducah Sun, http://www.paducahsun.com

I heard on the news just this morning that there were still 3,500 people in Marshall county alone with out power.

JohnChops
02-11-2009, 04:58 PM
I am afraid that the boys may simply never be found. That is a reality that the families may have to face as hard as it may be. :(

ril7572
02-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Truly a sad situation. I can see both sides, the families want closure. The job of finding the 2 remaining bodies is needle in a haystack. The portion of the lake where the search has been conducted is huge. I hope they will be found somehow.

bnt5
02-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Folks, they will be found come springtime and that's a fact of nature. I wouldnt want to be in the middle of this, definately a rock and a hard place.

Bill

OHRIVERHUNTER
02-12-2009, 10:55 PM
In the Fire Department we have a saying:
"Risk everything to save a life."
"Risk nothing to save nothing."
Body recovery is a risk nothing operation, if the weather doesnt cooperate, you must wait for calmer weather.

gobblegirl
02-13-2009, 01:32 AM
First of all I know as a parent there is no way closure would ever happen until I had my boys back in my arms again. I do think she is angry and every right to be. I think that some of the information is misunderstood. When Marshall County Search and Rescue had to prepare for the ice storm I think everyone knew that was the right thing to do. I think what most people don't know is the regulations you have to go through in order to get other counties to come in and help and I think that is what these famlies where asking for. They understood that our area volunteers where busy with the ice storm but why couldn't we ask for others to come in and help. At that time the only way anyone could come in from outside counties is that Marshall had to ask them to come. That is according to some crazy regulation. Marshall then would have to keep these people up from Boone County. Well I don't know why Marshall would care to invite other rescuers in.....Oh well wait I do its all about the money. These famlies and the community have raised alot of money to help out with this recovery effort..so why in the world would it matter who is out there searching the main thing is that someone is..Granted it may be the sad fact they may not be recovered but until all bases are covered do we just give up? I think that it is a shame that this tragedy is why all of the sudden we are made aware that in Western Ky we don't have proper equipment. I think that is our biggest failure is we should have been prepared . . . .We can't go back only move forward and with that ,I feel that is the lesson we must learn from Jacob, McKenzie, Trevor and Tyler.
I also have to say that being from Marshall county and having worked in a political office in the past.. Everything is about who you are and who you know...Certain jobs being created for certain people....Excess dollars spent on roads to be paved ripped up and repaved again all in the same year because it wasn't straight or wide enough(this is a fact because its my road i'm talking about) so don't be fooled Politics will get you anywhere in this county.

droopy
02-13-2009, 08:46 AM
as a former rescue squad member,diver and current volunteer fire fighter i can honestly say i understand the parents views,but let me say this.a few years ago we were trashed by a couple locals after calling off a search in the lower area of rockcastle river for a drowning victem.it was called off after a boat some members were in turned over and some almost drowned themselves,i have been in a lot of situations where i could have easily been killed myself and you are no good to anyone or anything,espcially your family if you become a statistic yourself.i do hope and pray that these boys can be found and laid to rest but i couldnt take the chance of putting more lives at stake when there is nothing that can be done for them now except for burial and some closier for the families.

gobblegirl
02-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Well Having your head halfway up your butt is good enough for me nobody expects big hot headed people to be able to stick it all the way up! But for you information.. Having people sent out for search and rescue is different from Recover!! These men were not ask to endanger their lives I think that was pretty clear. The point was to get people in here that have experience in this area and people with big ego's didn't want that. I don't think anyone wants any other tragedy to come from this but what is the problem with getting people who are better trained to come in and at least try!

ril7572
02-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Well Having your head halfway up your butt is good enough for me nobody expects big hot headed people to be able to stick it all the way up! But for you information.. Having people sent out for search and rescue is different from Recover!! These men were not ask to endanger their lives I think that was pretty clear. The point was to get people in here that have experience in this area and people with big ego's didn't want that. I don't think anyone wants any other tragedy to come from this but what is the problem with getting people who are better trained to come in and at least try!

Sorry, but if you don't think the folks involved in this effort weren't risking their lives, maybe your head is in the wrong place:rolleyes:

The search/rescue/recovery effort was conducted on Kentucky lake during high winds and freezing temps. Anyone who has spent much time on the lake knows how dangerous it can truely be.

Once again, I can't imagine how difficult this is for the families. I pray daily that these boys will be recovered. Being critical of the volunteers trying to help isn't benefiting anyone IMO

droopy
02-13-2009, 07:59 PM
i'm really not sure what your problem is,i was only stating the fact that taking chances with other lives is not worth it.it never ceases to amaze me how people are so eager to slam VOLUNTEERS until they need them.and as far as expireience i bet if you checked the first responders in your area are more than qualified.ther is a lot more to these things than sitting in a classroom and reading a book,i myself have over 20 years in the field with almost 3000 hours of training in fire/rescue with over 400 logged dives,nearly 100 in rescue/recovery operations,most in very cold zero visibilty water.if the people in charge dropped the ball dont slam the ones doing the work. and as for my sig line,,yes it is directed at people with an attitude like yours.

gobblegirl
02-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Mr. Doopy,
I don't think you get where i am coming from. You must not be from this area but our volunteer team is not as well trained as you may be that was my only point. The family was asking for more experience in this area. Not that anyone is not appreciative of volunteers help. I am a volunteer, I don't dive and would not expect to volunteer to do that myself because I wouldn't be much help. I am in the medical field also I am not just sitting reading textbooks. I appreciate your attitude but honestly our guys are not that experienced in this area....obviously we don't even have proper equipment...so wouldn't you ask for people who are better trained? Sorry if my comments are offensive to you in no way are they personal...Just hoping for the future there are some changes and lots of people everywhere have raised money for this effort to try to improve this areas situation when there is a next time.

droopy
02-16-2009, 09:40 PM
gobblegirl,i understand completly,the biggest problem with mutual aid is all the red tape the law has in place with libabilty and insurance.unless it is formally requested and there is an aid agreement between counties you have to jump through rings of fire to get help and yes it is a bunch of BS, especially in a case like this.i hope everything works out for these families.i appolagize if i offended you or anyone else in this matter.

philipfleek
02-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Mr. Doopy,
I don't think you get where i am coming from. You must not be from this area but our volunteer team is not as well trained as you may be that was my only point. The family was asking for more experience in this area. Not that anyone is not appreciative of volunteers help. I am a volunteer, I don't dive and would not expect to volunteer to do that myself because I wouldn't be much help. I am in the medical field also I am not just sitting reading textbooks. I appreciate your attitude but honestly our guys are not that experienced in this area....obviously we don't even have proper equipment...so wouldn't you ask for people who are better trained? Sorry if my comments are offensive to you in no way are they personal...Just hoping for the future there are some changes and lots of people everywhere have raised money for this effort to try to improve this areas situation when there is a next time.
Maybe this would have helped!
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk163/philipfleek/09hunterssafteyclass009.jpg

droopy
02-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Maybe this would have helped!
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk163/philipfleek/09hunterssafteyclass009.jpg
i think cutting out some of the red tape BS so agencies could get some help would be better.

bandchaser
02-17-2009, 08:13 AM
I will tell you right now, the best thing would have been the powers at be, running the resuce/recovery effort was actually being ran by some idiot from Warren County!!!!!

All he wanted to do was drag. We wanted to run sonar, he wanted to drag. Sonar got hits, and wanted divers, he wanted to drag. Now, I am sure he and some officials from Marshall County were teamed up together, but regardless of the situation, there are always things to improve on.

Also, there were boats on that water during times that did not need to be on the water! 4 and 5 foot rolling waves while you are dragging a 5ft drag bar. Or trying to hold to a $40,000 piece of sonar equipment. Oh, and try to hold on in those waves, and hook a damn commercial fisherman's net.

The families need to cool their heals about the efforts put forth. We were out there for almost 3 weeks before the storm. If the boys had been found, these guys would be the world's hero's!

The conditions of the bottom of that lake are so up and down, with a huge stump field between the primary and secondary channel. The crews broke several drag bars in that stump field. You go from 8ft to as deep as 55-65 ft deep. Also, I believe that the survivor did not really know where everything went wrong. So, some of the starting bouys are off.

I wish only the best for all families. The fathers of these boys have to be held responsible to the over powered motor on that boat.
I pray that these boys are found for the families closure. I pray that the county may move past the negative remarks of the families.

WhitetailHunter2000
02-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Possible great news for these families on the WPSD-TV channel 6 news at 6 tonight.

2 bodies were reported to be found today at 4pm in the same location where the first one was found. The news said they were found this afternoon in 50' of water. No names, of course, have been released yet.

For the sakes of these families, I pray that these rumors turn out to be true and they can begin to put closure.

ril7572
02-24-2009, 07:18 PM
From the search website:

2/24 5:45 pm

The other two boys bodies have been found. One has been recovered at this time, they are waiting on coroner Mitchell Lee to arrive. The bodies were found in 55 feet of water, approximately 30 feet apart by the Illinois State Police. Both bodies had been drug outside of the primary search grid. One has been recovered and they are in the process of recovering the other body now. Updates will be provided as they are received.

slickhead slayer
02-24-2009, 07:31 PM
I am glad they were found for the families sake. Finally some closure for them.

firefighter4900
02-26-2009, 11:48 AM
I will tell you right now, the best thing would have been the powers at be, running the resuce/recovery effort was actually being ran by some idiot from Warren County!!!!!

All he wanted to do was drag. We wanted to run sonar, he wanted to drag. Sonar got hits, and wanted divers, he wanted to drag. Now, I am sure he and some officials from Marshall County were teamed up together, but regardless of the situation, there are always things to improve on.

Also, there were boats on that water during times that did not need to be on the water! 4 and 5 foot rolling waves while you are dragging a 5ft drag bar. Or trying to hold to a $40,000 piece of sonar equipment. Oh, and try to hold on in those waves, and hook a damn commercial fisherman's net.

The families need to cool their heals about the efforts put forth. We were out there for almost 3 weeks before the storm. If the boys had been found, these guys would be the world's hero's!

The conditions of the bottom of that lake are so up and down, with a huge stump field between the primary and secondary channel. The crews broke several drag bars in that stump field. You go from 8ft to as deep as 55-65 ft deep. Also, I believe that the survivor did not really know where everything went wrong. So, some of the starting bouys are off.

I wish only the best for all families. The fathers of these boys have to be held responsible to the over powered motor on that boat.
I pray that these boys are found for the families closure. I pray that the county may move past the negative remarks of the families.

THIS whole statement is wrong!!! its people like this that has NO IDEA whats going on posting things on the internet that make things worse than they are. your not doing so good with the facts... was you part of the cammand staff??? how do you know who was in charge and when???did people come up to you and report what everyone was doing so you can report it all over the internet??? Probably not you probably showed up a couple days looked around and started posting things on the net. if you dont know that facts dont report them. all that does is get "shit" started and we truly dont need any more of that.

Dean Wegley
Paducah KY

Ky mustang
02-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Why don't you guys get with the kdfw and educate the area sportsman in high school on boating safety and the proper thing to do in a situation like this ?

That would be more positive than getting on here and arguing about who was right and so forth and might save a life.

Giveem3outdoors
02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
I Think kymustang has a great idea their i am currently a senior in highschool and their is nothing like this offerd. I go to ohio county high a class like this could really save some lives a large number of students here hunt and fish alot so with these boys as an example of what could happen i belive something like this could catch the interest of alot of guys my age a smart hunter is a safe hunter.