PDA

View Full Version : Apple tree planting info needed

Strutter
03-12-2004, 05:16 PM
I was planning on planting a few apple trees on my farm in the next week or so. In preparation of this I was checking out planting sites on the net so I would have a good chance of success with them. I was reading about cedar rust that gets on the trees and found that it is caused by cedar trees. My farm is loaded with cedar trees and according to the site, all cedars within 1/4 mile should be removed to have much success with an apple tree doing well. I have never heard of this but I don't have any apple trees growing on my farm either. Anyone know if apple trees will do well with cedars near by or is it a lost cause to plant apple trees around them. I have lots of cedars, to dang many to cut to grow an apple tree anyway.

Thanks,
Strutter

buck-n-rut
03-12-2004, 05:52 PM
I have have seen many apple trees growing within a few yards of cedar trees. When I planted mine I put them on the downhill side of cedar trees as well. But, then again I didnt know at that time they might have growing problems if put close to cedars. Incidently my trees are doing very well. shhhhhhhh .....dont tell them they are next to cedars.[;)]

Steel foxin
03-12-2004, 06:08 PM
I work at a nursery, and I have never heard of any such!! We dont sell fruit trees but I have my own orchard,and Iv never had a problem. I dont have many ceder's but a few. However, over in the carolina's and even tennessee iv seen many orchards,with ceder and evergreen thickets nearby. I do spray my orchard with a good fungaside once a year and pesticide once, that takes care of bout everything. Id plantem!!!!

GSP
03-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Strutter, we have a BIG cedar tree in the front yard back home and there are apple trees within 75' of it.
Any chance you can get ahold of some native crab apple trees? They do great and they are great cover for all critters. Deer love them and I don't think you can kill them with gasoline!

Strutter
03-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Not sure where to find the crabapple trees but I'll start looking. Anybody got any idea? If I can't find them, I'll probably go ahead with a few apple trees.
Thanks,
Strutter

GSP
03-12-2004, 07:11 PM
Strutter, I don't know where to find native crab apple seedlings. I'll be looking for some myself this fall. I'm wanting to put some out. Kinda funny that 25 years ago you could have dug up a truck load on about any farm in E.KY, now they are hard to find. Bush-hogs have done a number on them.

INKYHUNTER
03-12-2004, 10:26 PM
The NWTF puts out a brochure that has seedlings. They have Sargent Crabapple seedlings 12" to 18" 25+ $1.30 ea., 100+ $0.83 ea., 500+ $0.74 ea.

Ed
03-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Strutter, Apple-Cedar rust is a fungal disease. It requires the presence of both Eastern Redcedar and apple or crab apple trees to act as necessary, alternate hosts. On eastern redcedar, it is manifested as the roughly spherical, brownish, "cedar apples". The spores from those will infect apple and crab apple trees the next year. On those trees, the rust appears as small spots of a rusty orange color with rings of other color around them. In time, the spots will grow have brown centers caused by leaf necrosis (death). The growth, vigor, and yield of apple trees can be greatly retarded. I had an apple tree that was so weakened by the rust that it easily succumbed to another problem. The rust is considered serious enough that in the apple growing region of the Shennandoah Valley that eastern redcedars were banned by law. If you own property in those areas, you are legally required to eradicate ALL of the eastern redcedars, technically a species of juniper, that appear on their properties. When the campaign started, many decades ago, it used the motto "Cedars or Cider". The rust can be controlled by spraying the appropriate fungicides. Contact your local Ag extension agent to see what is currently in use in your area. The problem is real. Apple orchards can survive near eastern redcedar because of the fungicides. Some trees may have developed resistance, but I don't know. Since I have blathered on about this, and contradicted some folks, let me tell you that I started out in Forestry in college and changed to a more general ag major later. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, just give you the heads up. Take care, Ed

gates
03-16-2004, 06:34 AM
I would suggest putting up a page wire fence around each tree by using 4 t-posts and 4' high wire. I had the mis-fortune of planting 12 apple and pear trees on an old homeplace on my farm, and the first year a young buck destroyed every tree just about overnight, antler rubbing. I plan on replanting and a fellow sportsman told me to cage them. He also suggested placing mulch inside the cage to prevent weed competition and hold moisture.
James

Strutter
03-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the info Ed and Gates. It's much appreciated.

Strutter