PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Kentucky Public Land

Buckeye151
04-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Has anyone here spent much time in the Paintsville WMA? I usually hunt around Cave Run Lake but I want to expand a little this year. I was reading the Kentucky division of wildlife site and it didnt look like to far of a drive. Also, does anyone know any other good public land in the north eastern part of the state?

RLWEBB
04-03-2008, 12:35 PM
I've hunted Paintsville often. There's lots of birds there and if you've got a boat you can get to some unpressured birds pretty easy. Dewey Lakw WMA is about 10 miles up the road from Paintsville and it has a lot of birds as well. Dewey has less access from the road than Paintsville but again, if you've got a boat your in business. Yatesville Lake WMA is about 25 miles north of Paintsville and it too has many birds. Again, if you've got a boat you're better off. If I can help in any other way, just let me know. I live in Paintsville.

Buckeye151
04-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the post. What is the hunting pressure like in the mentioned areas? Cave run Lake area seems to be getting crowded.

Highbow
04-03-2008, 07:30 PM
I live about 1/2 mile from Paintsville WMA. Many areas won't have any pressure and some of the others will see daily hunting. It should be alright early and tends to be about a week before they get real wise.

mounting man
04-03-2008, 07:33 PM
I too live in the paintsville area and will suggest a boat to be your best bet as most areas that are easily accessible are hunted pretty hard. There are lots of birds here and according to a buddy just in my shop, they were really active yesterday morning as he claimed to have heard at least a dozen. Yatesville is also a great place especially with a boat, drop in at rich creek and you won't need to go far. If you don't have a boat there is still some good hunting around the Irish creek area. Hope this helps and if you need info feel free to contact.