PDA

View Full Version : Illegal to eat crop damaging deer

greenskeeter
03-20-2008, 01:02 PM
I'll have to say, I didn't even know it was illegal to do so...

http://www.kentucky.com/181/story/352326.html

UKturkeyhunter
03-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Same law here in missouri, farmers can shoot deer on a crop damage permit, but have to leave them lay. The idea (I think) is that the carcasses will keep other deer out of the fields. I have seen neighbors shooting crop damaging deer out of the same fields as the dead ones, so this theory probably is not right.

I absolutely understand the damage deer can do to crops, but it does seem like a waste to HAVE to leave them lay so you are not breaking the law.

Scott7m
03-20-2008, 01:43 PM
sounds like nothing but waste to me..........

MikeKy
03-20-2008, 02:08 PM
I knew a guy in Crofton a few years back that had terrible crop damage from deer every year and I mean terrible. At first he shot to kill the deer on the spot but started gut shooting them so they would leave the field before dying because the additional crop damage from coyotes and buzzards was worse than the damage from the deer. He said people were constantly asking him for venison but the rules said he had to leave the deer laying where they fell. That is a terrible waste. BTW, he let anyone and everyone deer hunt on his land.

RutNBuck
03-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Unless things have changed that info is incorrect
one farm i hunted the landowner was handed 30 doe permits
(crop damage tags) as long as they was checked in it was all legal

MikeKy
03-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Maybe there are two types of permits. The farm next to mine usually gets crop damage tags that can only be used during deer season and the deer must be checked. The guy in Crofton shot them in the summer in the mid 80's as did a former co-worker on his farm in the early 90's and they both said they weren't allowed to move the carcasses. I think they were supposed to call and report the number of deer shot to the CO.

barney
03-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Unless things have changed that info is incorrect
one farm i hunted the landowner was handed 30 doe permits
(crop damage tags) as long as they was checked in it was all legal
Its about the nuisance deer, that are shot without tags. A farmer used to have to leave them lay where they fell, or drag them out of the field, to rot.

thunderchicken09
03-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Why dont someone come pick them up and give them to poor people or somthin?

RutNBuck
03-20-2008, 05:19 PM
some years back it used to be hard to beat the buzzards to a downed deer
now the buzzards have to race to beat the mexicans to it..

Scott7m
03-20-2008, 05:44 PM

ok?????

I just think it's total non-sense to shoot an animal and not make every attempt to see that meat isn't wasted.. I know if it were in my garden and I had the proper tag it would go to feed my family, if not, that animal would die without reason and that don't sit well with me.

thunderchicken09
03-20-2008, 05:53 PM
http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif

Racist

barney
03-20-2008, 05:53 PM
ok?????

I just think it's total non-sense to shoot an animal and not make every attempt to see that meat isn't wasted.. I know if it were in my garden and I had the proper tag it would go to feed my family, if not, that animal would die without reason and that don't sit well with me.
It was the law.:rolleyes: Shoot'em, and leave'um lay, summer deer have an "off taste", anyway..............or so I've been told:D

Scott7m
03-20-2008, 05:57 PM
It was the law.:rolleyes: Shoot'em, and leave'um lay, summer deer have an "off taste", anyway..............or so I've been told:D

hmm... Yea.. i bet you wouldn't know a thing about that would you barney lol............

deer destroy our gardens every year, but i've never killed a deer out of it... last year we didn't get any tomatoes whatsoever, they eat up the beans, kicked holes in all the cantelopes, and the tomatoes, well they topped the plants and turned them into shrubs, and when a tomatoe would form they'd bite it off, chew it up, and spit it out, it looke d like someone spilt relish all over the plants lol...

we set out 140 tomatoe plants, and with God as my witness, we didn't get one tomatoe! lol

turkeytalker
03-20-2008, 06:05 PM
hmm... Yea.. i bet you wouldn't know a thing about that would you barney lol............

deer destroy our gardens every year, but i've never killed a deer out of it... last year we didn't get any tomatoes whatsoever, they eat up the beans, kicked holes in all the cantelopes, and the tomatoes, well they topped the plants and turned them into shrubs, and when a tomatoe would form they'd bite it off, chew it up, and spit it out, it looke d like someone spilt relish all over the plants lol...

we set out 140 tomatoe plants, and with God as my witness, we didn't get one tomatoe! lol

Thats just plain ignorant! lol

barney
03-20-2008, 06:05 PM

They were'nt spitin them out, they were gobblin them up so fast, the crumbs were fallin out of the corner of their mouth!
You would think again, about not shooting them, if you were paying the bills and, feeding your family, with that garden. Don't get me wrong.......I love the deer, but when they cost you thousands, what do you do?

thunderchicken09
03-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Dru dat. You should shoot at them not hit them to scare them. I dont think thats illeagle as long as you dont hit em.

turkeytalker
03-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Dru dat. You should shoot at them not hit them to scare them. I dont think thats illeagle as long as you dont hit em.

YEAH DRU DAT

chucky
03-20-2008, 06:53 PM
We hunted a farm one time last year. The farmer gave us 5 tags and told us to go gettum. They figured the deer was costing them $12,000.00- $15,000.00 a year in corn damages. We went down on a sat. morn. to bow hunt and at lunch we started reading the back of the tags. When you shoot a deer you are to leave it in the field. If you shoot a buck you had to call a CO. The tags were for recording all the deer taken. We took the tags back to him and left. We found out from his neighbor that he gets about 75 tags a year and invites anybody he can to come down to hunt but he does not tell them you can't keep what you kill.

Multidigits
03-20-2008, 07:01 PM
There are two types of tags for problem deer--destruction permits and control permits. One is used outside of seasons and one during season.

Nothing in the regs say you can't eat the deer if you want.

301 KAR 2:176. Deer control tags.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/kar/301/002/176.htm

turkeytalker
03-20-2008, 07:17 PM
There are two types of tags for problem deer--destruction permits and control permits. One is used outside of seasons and one during season.

Nice post Multi, kinda wonderin how all those Amish got fat:).

MikeKy
03-20-2008, 08:28 PM

You are 100% correct. The regs even say a deer killed on a destruction permit can be processed. I wonder if this has come about since the early 90's or if there was just a misinterpretation of the regs? Both guys I knew
that shot them in the summer were pretty upset that they were told they could not even move the carcasses much less give them away. Both guys told me exactly the same thing and both were straight as arrows.

Scott7m
03-20-2008, 09:23 PM
They were'nt spitin them out, they were gobblin them up so fast, the crumbs were fallin out of the corner of their mouth!
You would think again, about not shooting them, if you were paying the bills and, feeding your family, with that garden. Don't get me wrong.......I love the deer, but when they cost you thousands, what do you do?

I'd like to know who is paying my bills if I'm not lol... We used to have a dog we'd tie in the garden but he died.. This year the deer just took over.. I don't want to shoot does that potentially have young ones to take care of. This year however I'm going to find me a dog to tie out, and if that doesn't work, then I'll use 20ga with number 8's at about 70 yards to scare them...

cz.223
03-21-2008, 04:40 PM
so a deer destroying your garden isnt enough to make you shoot it. seems to me that is reason enough its destroying food your family gets

cz.223
03-21-2008, 04:42 PM
enought reason it is destroying food for ya family isnt it?
ok?????

Scott7m
03-21-2008, 05:02 PM
enought reason it is destroying food for ya family isnt it?

so by shooting 1 deer thats going to stop 40? yea right.. my cousins used to shoot them out of there gardens all summer, doesn't change a thing... only thing we've found that does work is a dog in the garden.

killinmammals
03-21-2008, 10:01 PM
so by shooting 1 deer thats going to stop 40? yea right.. my cousins used to shoot them out of there gardens all summer, doesn't change a thing... only thing we've found that does work is a dog in the garden.
So, you know what this tells me, in my food plot, I'm plantin tomatoes, beans and catnelopes!!!:D

Scott7m
03-21-2008, 10:11 PM
So, you know what this tells me, in my food plot, I'm plantin tomatoes, beans and catnelopes!!!:D

you'd for sure have them in there i can tell you that lol.. people were amazed at my tomatoe plants, you should have seen them, they were each probably 3 - 4 feet wide and about chest tall... Looked like a big hedge row, but it was because the deer had kept clippin the ends and they kept sprouting more and more.... big plants, no maters

killinmammals
03-21-2008, 10:15 PM
you'd for sure have them in there i can tell you that lol.. people were amazed at my tomatoe plants, you should have seen them, they were each probably 3 - 4 feet wide and about chest tall... Looked like a big hedge row, but it was because the deer had kept clippin the ends and they kept sprouting more and more.... big plants, no maters
Haha, thats crazy! I seriously might drop a matter plant of 2 in the plot after hearing this:D

cz.223
03-21-2008, 11:58 PM
one bullet all you got???