PDA

View Full Version : Grayson County

talltines1781
01-13-2008, 05:21 PM
I have the opportunity to hunt on a nice Grayson County farm with little hunting pressure. Can anyone tell the number of and quality of deer to expect. I will probably go two seperate one week trips. Thanks in advance.

Multidigits
01-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Hard to say without a general location. Grayson has some deer according to some and doesn't have any according to some. Depends who you talk to and where you hunt.

Docknboatlift
01-13-2008, 05:42 PM
My opinion is Grayson has a lot of fine deer. But that's where I hunt.

JDMiller
01-13-2008, 05:59 PM
According to Telecheck harvest as of today.... in the Green River Region they were ranked #7 out of 25 counties on deer harvested. They were listed #26 on deer harvested in the whole state... 120 counties.

They have harvested more deer in Grayson this season then some known deer producers like Muhlinberg..Logan.. Butler & Todd. Apparently someone found a few deer in Grayson.

bugle freak
01-13-2008, 06:24 PM
By the looks of the harvest results over the years, Grayson is deer plentiful!

talltines1781
01-13-2008, 06:45 PM
thanks guys, i read reports and looks good. Just hoping to find some locals that hunt or have hunted the area to give me some idea when the rut peaks and the most productive time to hunt. Being out of state makes it hard.

Multidigits
01-13-2008, 06:54 PM
thanks guys, i read reports and looks good. Just hoping to find some locals that hunt or have hunted the area to give me some idea when the rut peaks and the most productive time to hunt. Being out of state makes it hard.

Closest towm to your farm???

talltines1781
01-13-2008, 09:09 PM
multidigits, the farm is close to the ohio county line. I hope that helps.

Multidigits
01-14-2008, 05:39 AM
That's pretty vague? Seems to be a few less deer in north west Grayson Co. than in other parts and that could be where your talking about. I'm down near the Grayson, Butler/ Ohio Co. line and there's decent numbers there.

peepsight
01-14-2008, 09:34 AM
i harvested a nice 140+ from grayson co. on a lease i had in 2002 near caneyville.

CentralKyHunter
01-14-2008, 08:12 PM
there are good deer in that part of the county

I live in Grayson! Pretty decent hunting

predator
01-15-2008, 09:41 AM
I live in Grayson. If you are in the Short Creek area you should have some pretty good numbers, although EHD hit some farms pretty hard. PM me if you want to get more specific, but I'd give it a shot. Opening day of gun season is generally the best with rifle, 1st week in Nov. with bow if you are wanting to rut hunt.

predator
01-15-2008, 01:38 PM
I've got some more numbers for you. 2006, the harvest was 3.4 deer per sq. mi., 43rd in state. Looks like it's going to drop to around 2.7 deer per sq. mi. in 2007.

Docknboatlift
01-16-2008, 01:53 PM
I had no real problem getting my 2.7 deer.

ken w
01-16-2008, 06:24 PM
ehd did hit some areas hard , but still seeing plenty of deer on our property. we found 14 dead total and 12 of those in grayson co , getting lots of pics now seems the mature does hit the hardest had 7 bucks on 1 camera last 2 days 1 good one and 3 that will be good next year hunted 2 days last week killed a doe and missed 1, saw 11 does 1 afternoon mostly yearlings and fawns

leg shot
01-16-2008, 08:27 PM
I have hunted grayson co. all my life hunted alot of diff. places killed a 156 class with bow seen alot bigger ones. sounds like your in a good spot.

huntindawoods
01-16-2008, 08:42 PM
My sister-in-law is fixing to marry a guy from grayson co. there is a lot of big deer up there he and his step dad has harvested a lot of big bucks up there. I know a few other people in that county also that hunt they usally walk away every year with a good buck also GOOD LUCK to ya in the next coming year.

Multidigits
01-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Dang....hope they don't make Grayson a Zone 1 after reading these posts??? :confused:

F250Stroke
01-17-2008, 06:49 PM
I saw fewer deer this past season than I have in a long time and I have lived and hunted in Grayson co. since I started,however I saw more in one day this past season than I saw in three or four seasons when I first started deer hunting so its still better than it used to be;)

islandspeck
01-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Dang....hope they don't make Grayson a Zone 1 after reading these posts??? :confused:

A zone 3 would be a better fit then a 1

wkyduckslayer
01-18-2008, 10:56 AM
There was a 170 class killed in grayson county last year by a local bowshop owner. Edmonson grayson line!

Multidigits
01-18-2008, 10:58 AM
A zone 3 would be a better fit then a 1

Zone 3 would be a growth zone, looks like pretty steady numbers there over the last 4 years or so. No rezone in order based on the numbers.

predator
01-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Zone 3 would be a growth zone, looks like pretty steady numbers there over the last 4 years or so. No rezone in order based on the numbers.

Hummm. 1738 killed in 2006, 1346 killed in 2007, 20%+ drop, same amount of hunter days. Looks like it's heading south to me.:eek: Little bigger drop than I tried to bet you on unless we have a record kill this weekend.:rolleyes:

Hey Multi, why don't you cut and paste the article in NAW about Ky falling 4 spots in the B & C listings?:D Something else heading south.

Multidigits
01-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Hummm. 1738 killed in 2006, 1346 killed in 2007, 20%+ drop, same amount of hunter days. Looks like it's heading south to me.:eek: Little bigger drop than I tried to bet you on unless we have a record kill this weekend.:rolleyes:

Hey Multi, why don't you cut and paste the article in NAW about Ky falling 4 spots in the B & C listings?:D Something else heading south.

Check 2007 against an average or against 2005 and see what you get. No way ever year will be a record breaker, and the management plan is designed to prevent that.

As for Grayson, looks to be on track, contrary to what you've led us to believe......Looks like maybe one of your allies has dropped out?

" .........but still seeing plenty of deer on our property. we found 14 dead total and 12 of those in grayson co , getting lots of pics now seems the mature does hit the hardest had 7 bucks on 1 camera last 2 days 1 good one and 3 that will be good next year hunted 2 days last week killed a doe and missed 1, saw 11 does 1 afternoon mostly yearlings and fawns"

predator
01-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Check 2007 against an average or against 2005 and see what you get. No way ever year will be a record breaker, and the management plan is designed to prevent that.

As for Grayson, looks to be on track, contrary to what you've led us to believe......Looks like maybe one of your allies has dropped out?

" .........but still seeing plenty of deer on our property. we found 14 dead total and 12 of those in grayson co , getting lots of pics now seems the mature does hit the hardest had 7 bucks on 1 camera last 2 days 1 good one and 3 that will be good next year hunted 2 days last week killed a doe and missed 1, saw 11 does 1 afternoon mostly yearlings and fawns"

2005-Grayson was zone 3, less hunter days. Not apples to apples. :p Don't know about Ken W., I'll ask Non-Typ, but I'm pretty sure he'd still like us to be Zone 3 again. Maybe he'll reply.

How bout that article? Dropped 4 spots.:eek:

Multidigits
01-18-2008, 05:00 PM
2005-Grayson was zone 3, less hunter days. Not apples to apples. :p Don't know about Ken W., I'll ask Non-Typ, but I'm pretty sure he'd still like us to be Zone 3 again. Maybe he'll reply.

Any motive for a archery only outfitter to want less gun days??? Looks like he's seeing as many deer as ever, lease so the last time he weigh in on your side.

Haven't seen any article, go ahead post it up. Last I saw they were #2 in huntable acerage, so if it dropped 4 spots, that makes it at worst 6 out of 48.....not to shabby.

Al
01-18-2008, 06:53 PM

Dropped 4 spots? Yesterday I got my Feb issue of NAW its got KY ranked #2 in the nation for B & C bucks per square mile in. We have less total entries because we are a smaller state.
I dont read anything about us droping in anything.
Out of a scale from 1-10 they ended their peice on KY with " Kentucky gets a very deserved "9. "
"What can be said of the Bluegrass State other than "Bravo!" Kentucky went from B&Cs No 6 overall for recognized whitetails to No. 2 on the five-year chart."
It looks like we moved up 4 rankings not down.

F250Stroke
01-18-2008, 07:23 PM
There was a 170 class killed in grayson county last year by a local bowshop owner. Edmonson grayson line!
Actually it was killed by a bowshop owner from Edmonson co. but was killed just outside of Leitchfield.

F250Stroke
01-18-2008, 07:28 PM
F250stroke...WE HAVE TOLD YOU..them deer aint goin run through your bedroom....even though you put corn and apples in front of your bed.... I could have filled all my tags and you know it.Heck I could have filled them from my treestand that you hunted out of. I like quality,not quanity:D I dont have to put out corn or apples to kill a deer either,you keep hunting with me and you might learn a thing or two:p You getting that buck mounted that you killed this year?:eek:

NonTyp
01-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Grayson Co. has some good hunting. Some areas are much more productive than others. West, as a rule of thumb, is usually better. I would make a trip up if I were you and make my own decision but don't come up here expecting to see the woods scraped to death and every other tree in the woods rubbed. There are some big deer in this county, just not behind every tree.

NonTyp
01-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Last time I talked to Karen A. the target population was 25 deer per square mile and at that time Grayson Co. was estimated to have 18 per square mile. If zone 3 means growth, we need to be zone 3.

Multidigits
01-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Dropped 4 spots? Yesterday I got my Feb issue of NAW its got KY ranked #2 in the nation for B & C bucks per square mile in. We have less total entries because we are a smaller state.
Out of a scale from 1-10 they ended their peice on KY with " Kentucky gets a very deserved "9. "
"What can be said of the Bluegrass State other than "Bravo!" Kentucky went from B&Cs No 6 overall for recognized whitetails to No. 2 on the five-year chart."

Thanks Al....looks as if Ky. is holding same as in the last 5 years or so. Can't believe everything you see on the Internet.

Multidigits
01-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Last time I talked to Karen A. the target population was 25 deer per square mile and at that time Grayson Co. was estimated to have 18 per square mile. If zone 3 means growth, we need to be zone 3.

18 is a solid Zone 2.....over 25 gets it a Zone 1(among a few other things). Zone 3 is off a ways in the future. No way Grayson will go down producing the steady numbers thar it has.

predator
01-18-2008, 09:19 PM

I stand corrected.:o

NonTyp
01-18-2008, 10:08 PM
[quote=Multidigits;533462]
Looks like maybe one of your allies has dropped out? [quote]

Those boys should be seeing lots of deer. 3000 contiguous acres bow hunting only should make a deer heard grow! It's been that way for several years too! Should be deer everywhere!

I have talked to guys in this county and other counties that are not happy with the amount of deer they are seeing but no longer try to improve their hunting because there case falls on deaf ears. I too am getting tired of this long hard road but will continue to try to improve the hunting in this county.

ken w
01-19-2008, 11:30 AM
i still think we should be a 3, and my hardin co property ain"t no 1 more deer in w grayson then w hardin ,and everybody dont have 3000 acres to hunt and control hunting pressure, some spots in the county are down my neighbors on this end killed at least 14 all legal, mostly bb and fawns (we lost a lot of mature does to ehd) got no problem with killing the limit,they said they killed every deer they saw all they do is gun hunt a shorter season would help the east end and also i would lose some revenue
because i do take rifle hunters on some of my property, with the ehd outbreak it would not hurt for grayson co to be a 3 for a few years

talltines1781
01-19-2008, 07:41 PM
I really appreciate all the replies guys. Didn't expect so many responses, but learned a lot and you were all very helpful.