PDA

View Full Version : how far from a road do you have to be

shogan
12-14-2007, 10:19 PM
It seems to me that a couple years back I read you had to be 300 yards from a house or public road to hunt? But I cant find the regulation now. Can anyone point me to the current law/restriction on how this matter.

Thanks

slickhead slayer
12-15-2007, 12:08 PM
I believe in Ky there is no yardage restriction.You just can't shoot across or from a roadway I believe.

KYhunter79
12-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Slickhead is right.

KYDEERCHASR
12-15-2007, 12:50 PM
im pretty sure their right also.
if not some people are in trouble. i can take you and show you at least 7 stands that are no more than 30 yards off state roads.

bigpuddin43
12-15-2007, 12:52 PM
at least 8 ft from the edge of the road because i believe the state has that much of a right away

12 pointer
12-15-2007, 01:20 PM
500 feet I am pretty positive. I have read it somewhere. I will look to confirm.

RutNBuck
12-15-2007, 01:25 PM
i have never seen any distance limits in ky laws even thou i am sure there has to be something..

i know in Indiana you can be sitting on the road edge and shooting away from the road and be fine "YOU just cant shoot OVER a roadway" ex- (dove hunting would be an example this was info i got from a indiana co) on another forum they have a "Ask a Conservation Officer" forum

KYhunter79
12-15-2007, 01:29 PM
My stand is within 150-200 yards from a state road.

str8 shot
12-15-2007, 01:29 PM
there are no restrictions im really really sure of it because loads of people includin myself hunt near roads on central ky wma

canemaker
12-15-2007, 01:34 PM
There are no limits on distance. You just can not shoot across the roadway. That is in the KRS.. Try google and look up chapter 150. It is in there. However the right of way varries with what type of roadway it is and I would be careful about shooting from the state right of way.

canemaker

12 pointer
12-15-2007, 01:34 PM
there are no restrictions im really really sure of it because loads of people includin myself hunt near roads on central ky wma

that dosn't mean there is not a restriction. Not saying there is, still investigating.

12 pointer
12-15-2007, 01:44 PM
must not be. I always thought there was. Wonder if there ever was????????????

retiredbowhunter
12-15-2007, 01:54 PM
I believe on some QUOTA hunts there are restrictions as it pertains to some STATE locations: so far from golf courses, established camp grounds, so far from lodge areas/buildings, etc....but that reg or rule would be in that individual quota hunt guide

michunter
12-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Hmmmm I always thought there was . In Michigan you have too be 450 feet from a dwelling or road . Granted I see that law broke all the time when I hunt up there !!! But down here have not seen any laws pertaining to it . :rolleyes:

shogan
12-15-2007, 09:30 PM
I know there is or was.

1. I remember someone on here telling me about how the dept knew a guy was hunting to close to the insterstate and went out and measured his stand location to the road and gave him a citation.

2. I know i read it in the book a few years back. And was amazed at how far away you had to be maybe it was 500 feet I was thinking 300 yards but that's a long way. Now I don't know if they removed that law or if I just haven't looked in the right place.

AteUp
12-15-2007, 10:14 PM
I believe it used to say 100 yards from a dwelling, don't remember a distance on roadways.

CUZZIN
12-16-2007, 01:00 AM
Step in the ditch and snap a cap:rolleyes:

Cornpile
12-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Heres what I read

No person shall discharge any firearm, bow and arrow, crossbow or other similar device, upon, over or across any public roadway. Hunting is prohibited in highway or interstate medians and rights of way.

tenntucky
12-16-2007, 08:42 AM
If you ain't handycapped and can still see your truck ....ya ain't hunting your shootin...IMO

ocbowhunter
12-16-2007, 08:55 AM
"No person shall discharge any firearm, bow and arrow, crossbow or other similar device, upon, over or across any public roadway. Hunting is prohibited in highway or interstate medians and rights of way. "

I believe this is interpreted as ON the road and within the state easements of the road.

I don't see how it could possibly be legal to drive down a road, see a deer, stop the truck and get out, and walk 10 steps off the road and shoot it. It would be interesting to actually ask a CO how this plays out.

GSP
12-16-2007, 08:59 AM
"No person shall discharge any firearm, bow and arrow, crossbow or other similar device, upon, over or across any public roadway. Hunting is prohibited in highway or interstate medians and rights of way. "

I believe this is interpreted as ON the road and within the state easements of the road.

I don't see how it could possibly be legal to drive down a road, see a deer, stop the truck and get out, and walk 10 steps off the road and shoot it. It would be interesting to actually ask a CO how this plays out.

This is correct. If they step off Right of way onto land they have permission to hunt, they are legal. Saw it once with a Robo Deer that was set up.

KYhunter79
12-16-2007, 10:18 AM

As long as they have permission to hunt that property, why would it be illegal?

Joey Cheek
12-16-2007, 03:31 PM
You only have to be off of the right of way.I know if the road has a center line it is 40ft from the center line

ocbowhunter
12-16-2007, 03:31 PM
What would this not be hunting from a vehicle? I'm not talking about driving down your own private road or driveway, but a public road/street.

Use this example. What would happen if you were driving do the public road in front of your property, saw a deer, pulled over, took out your rifle and took a few steps off the road and fired? How would the CO react if he was following you?

I think he would interpret this as hunting from a vehicle.

Multidigits
12-16-2007, 03:47 PM
What would this not be hunting from a vehicle? I'm not talking about driving down your own private road or driveway, but a public road/street.

Use this example. What would happen if you were driving do the public road in front of your property, saw a deer, pulled over, took out your rifle and took a few steps off the road and fired? How would the CO react if he was following you?

I think he would interpret this as hunting from a vehicle.

You could be cited for using the vehicle to get in position (gain an unfair advantage)to shoot the deer.

I know it's a common event during snow goose conservation season somethimes to roll in on some birds and get out and shoot. Most CO's will allow it as long as everyone is out of the vehicle. Same thing happens on the water, the boat has to be motionless before you shoot.

Bucknuts
12-17-2007, 01:34 PM
If you have permission or own the land you can simply step off the roadway and there is no set distance from dwelling as long as you are not trespassing. However counties or towns may have a set distance. Where does it say you cannot use a vehicle to gain adavantage? If that is true then one could say using a any type of transportation to get to your hunting spot is an unfair advantage.

redneck1377
12-30-2007, 06:21 PM
most of the highways that I drive on is fence off on the side/ the fence is not alway set -back from the pavement the same distance from one end of the fence to the other end

I_HUNT_ALL
12-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Qoute i know in Indiana you can be sitting on the road edge and shooting away from the road and be fine "YOU just cant shoot OVER a roadway" ex- (dove hunting would be an example this was info i got from a indiana co) on another forum they have a "Ask a Conservation Officer" forum

Every road in The state of Indiana has a "lean-way" of distance. Almost all Country roads differ on "lean-ways" they range from a few feet, to a few or many yards..... Altohugh these laws may not be enforced they are the law.

I beleive that The state of Kentucky is the same.(but im not positive)