PDA

View Full Version : Double D Game Ranch??

westkybanded
09-27-2007, 11:13 AM
These folks seem to have leased up most of the ground surrounding my farm in Hopkins Co. Wondering if they are a legit operation? I'm seeing from their website that they are offering "free range" elk and bison hunts along with deer and turkey.

Louhunter
09-27-2007, 01:59 PM
The Elk hunts would be interesting, especially after they just busted the guy earlier this week with the trailer full of Elk and other animals. I may be wrong, but I did not think "Game Farms" were legal in Kentucky. I remember many years ago, that somone wanted to start a Hunting Lodge such as they have in Tennessee with Hogs, Goats, and the like and it was turned down by KDFW. But what do I know!!!!

KYDUX
09-27-2007, 04:18 PM
game farm legal with right permits

game farm with captive or domestic cervids not legal

IN KY

westkybanded
09-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Well, due to some theft on our farm of hunting equipment recently, I'm wondering about their scruples more than their permits. I sure wouldn't care if an elk or bison got loose and happened onto greener pastures...

trust me
09-27-2007, 06:31 PM
The term "free range" would seem to imply no fences. You may have more elks and buffs than you can count.

Split_Ear
09-28-2007, 11:00 AM
I assume this is the same place? It states High Fence.

Double D Ranch would like to welcome you to a premier hunting paradise located in Western Kentucky. Chad Faulkner, avid hunter and guide, and David Donaldson Rancher and Farmer will be teaming up together to bring you some of the best hunting Kentucky has to offer. Farming, being the primary business in this area, provides plenty of groceries for the abundant game located in this area.

We take pride in our herd, and continue to feed once the crops are harvested. With over 6000 acres of crop and woodlands, Double D is primarily a bow hunting operation. We believe in only harvesting mature animals.

We also offer a guaranteed hunt for trophy whitetail, Buffalo, and Bull Elk. These hunts are 1on1 guided, high fence, in a sanctuary area. Rifle, bow, and muzzleloader are permitted on these hunts.

For all you die-hard turkey hunters, we are loaded with eastern. Limited availability.

Multidigits
09-28-2007, 12:27 PM
I doubt that they have 6,000 acres under HIGH fence, so the buffs would be the same as cows. Pick, pay and shoot. I wouldn't exactly call it hunting?

aceoky
09-28-2007, 02:08 PM
I doubt that they have 6,000 acres under HIGH fence, so the buffs would be the same as cows. Pick, pay and shoot. I wouldn't exactly call it hunting?

I agree!

I wonder about this though.....

game farm legal with right permits

game farm with captive or domestic cervids not legal

IN KY

We also offer a guaranteed hunt for trophy whitetail, Buffalo, and Bull Elk.

Also HOW can they sell "Elk hunts" when they're in Western Ky and the Elk zones are clearly defined in Eastern Ky ONLY???

I wonder just "how legal" this all is?

westkybanded
09-28-2007, 06:22 PM

I know they don't have the border between us "high" fenced or otherwise.

I just hope I don't find out that they had anything to do with my little cousin's stand being stolen.....

daking
09-28-2007, 08:33 PM
http://www.mclainoutdooradventures.com/Directory/XcDirSearch.asp?cmd=NEWEST

I put their phone number in google and got to this website. Looks like Georgia coming to Kentucky.

nwest
10-01-2007, 05:25 AM

From the pics on thier website the elk look the same way. Nice photography too in the deer section, tounges hangin out, hanging out of the back of trucks. Very profesional lookin :rolleyes:

jpd2atl
10-02-2007, 04:50 AM
Where in Hopkins are you located?:confused::confused::confused:

westkybanded
10-02-2007, 07:42 AM
Where in Hopkins are you located?:confused::confused::confused:

Our farm is near the Webster/Hopkins line on Hwy 814 in Providence.

ptbrauch
10-02-2007, 11:56 AM
So if one of the elk got out and you knew it came from there, would you still need the out of zone permit to shoot it?

What's the regs say about a wild bison?

Multidigits
10-02-2007, 12:59 PM
So if one of the elk got out and you knew it came from there, would you still need the out of zone permit to shoot it?

Shoot them....ask questions later. The bison would be legal, the elk might need an out of zone permit?????

westkybanded
10-02-2007, 12:59 PM

Don't know about the out of zone elk since it's probably classified as livestock.

As far as the bison, I don't think anyone is assuming that they have wild bison.

jpd2atl
10-02-2007, 01:28 PM
It's my understanding that with the Elk, all you would need is your Elk Lottery ticket. And to throw a curve ball in this whole thing, what if you shot it on the land you live on? :rolleyes:

westkybanded
10-02-2007, 03:05 PM
It's my understanding that with the Elk, all you would need is your Elk Lottery ticket. And to throw a curve ball in this whole thing, what if you shot it on the land you live on? :rolleyes:

I see you're from Manitou... Those guys have a place in Nebo as well.

jpd2atl
10-03-2007, 04:28 AM
I'm actually closer to Hanson. Corner of Buntin Schoolhouse & Antioch Church Road. :D

KyHorse
10-03-2007, 01:54 PM
I believe I read somewhere only a small portion of their land is high fence, making it more of a canned hunt. I do not believe they have 6,000 continuous acres either. If anything most of it is agriculture acreage that can add up.

westkybanded
10-03-2007, 03:41 PM
One of the places they have leased adjoining me is several thousand continuous acres by itself and none of it agricultural.