PDA

View Full Version : squirrel (worbles-Wolves)

chancey021
09-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Can you eat a squirrel if you kill it and it has these worms in it?

ScentFree
09-16-2007, 10:29 AM
I wouldn't.

CSS archer
09-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Yes, it's only in the skin, the fly larvae has no affect on the meat.

Kaibaby
09-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Just as CSSArcher said! I've never cleaned one that went into the meat.

trust me
09-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Absolutely eat the squirrel. Skin it and you'll see the larva has no effect on the meat.

KYBOY
09-16-2007, 04:57 PM
I posted the samw question a while back. I have since skinned all mine and could find no damage to the meat. Cattle and deer get the same thing. Id bet money you have already eaten squirrel,beef or deer thats had a "wool" in it at one time...

strutin fever
09-16-2007, 10:34 PM
i believe i would think twice before eating anything with worms.

ScentFree
09-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Does the worm stay in the skin forever?

trust me
09-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Does the worm stay in the skin forever?

No. The botfly lands on a critter and lays an egg. The egg burrows into the skin, but if the critter can chew or scratch it out, there is no problem. But if the larva gets under the chin or on the back of the neck, it can survive. It grows there until it matures, then it crawls out and the critter heals up, no worse for wear.

I saw a young kitten that had one on its neck. The owner said the vet split the skin and pulled it out, put a stitch or two in and no problem.

Payton
09-17-2007, 10:06 AM
This has got to be what a friend of mine found in his PUPPY! The vet said that was the first time that he'd ever seen a dog with it, but he said that it is more common in cattle.

It happened right near his eye, and there was a tiny hole. The vet "saw it move" thru the skin and pushed it out...........there was a 1/2" worm that came out and then an egg! My skin is crawling just thinking about it.

He gave the pup antibiotics, and the pup is now fine.

Mark

Payton
09-17-2007, 10:55 AM
From a google search:

Warbles are the larval stage of the botfly, which characteristically infect rodents and rabbits. They are found under the skin, usually around the legs and neck. They have also been reported from deer, cattle, cats, dogs, hogs, mules, mink, foxes and man. The adult botflies are large (20 mm or more in length) and dark blue or black with fine, dense hairs on the face, genae and thorax.

Only one genus, Cuterebra, is currently recognized from North America. Twenty-six species are known to occur in the U.S. and Canada. They are also found in Mexico and the neotropical regions. The taxonomy is poorly defined, and existing keys are for the most part inadequate for separation of the species.

In Michigan, warbles have been found in cottontail rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, house mice and white-footed mice. Undoubtedly, other mammals are infected as well. The parasites are usually not seen by the rabbit hunter since most of the warbles have dropped off before hunting season.

Kaibaby
09-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Killed a squr. this morning that had 4 in it. All around the neck and 1 front leg. Cleaned it & no meat damage! This was the first I've seen in several years.

Kaibaby
09-17-2007, 04:14 PM
I forgot to say there's was another that had obviously been on the squir's belly but he had probably scratch or chewed it out, but you could tell where it had been.

randy grider
10-09-2007, 07:52 AM
we used to pop 'em out of holstein milk cows backs for something to do while milking, i hate them things!