PDA

View Full Version : Registering MY Travel Trailer

DeerSlayer
04-04-2007, 09:58 PM
I baught an 04 Wildwood 27 ft. bunkhouse last Friday in Ohio. I have been trying to put license plates on it so I could move it to a campground near my home. Fist the affidavit on the back of the Ohio title wasn't good enough for the Clerks Office so I went back Ohio with a Kentucky Affidavit and had it signed & notorized. Went back to the clerks office and was then told that I needed a firemarshal inspection in order to get the RV registered/titled. They gave me a telephone number for the Firemarshal in Farankfort. Upon calling the Firemarshal's office I was told that I would have to bring the RV into Kentucky and then make an appointment to have it inspected. The Firemarshal informed me that I wouldn't have any problems towing the RV in Kentucky as long as I had the purchase paperwork with me. When I told him that towing it from the individuals home that I purchased it from in Ohio to the Kentucky line without a license plate may be an issue he indicated that it was my problem. You would think that they would be able to give you a temporay tag or something. I am also beginning to wonder if the Commonwealth of Kentucky cares about anything else but the fees they collect.

ptbrauch
04-05-2007, 10:40 AM
I purchased a pop up camper and had it registered in Ky with no issues. I bought it from someone in WV though. Maybe that's what made the difference. But there wasn't any inspection or anything. And the title looked like any other I've seen, though admittedly, I've not read too many closely enough to spot any differences.

RVtech24
04-05-2007, 01:56 PM
I baught an 04 Wildwood 27 ft. bunkhouse last Friday in Ohio. I have been trying to put license plates on it so I could move it to a campground near my home. Fist the affidavit on the back of the Ohio title wasn't good enough for the Clerks Office so I went back Ohio with a Kentucky Affidavit and had it signed & notorized. Went back to the clerks office and was then told that I needed a firemarshal inspection in order to get the RV registered/titled. They gave me a telephone number for the Firemarshal in Farankfort. Upon calling the Firemarshal's office I was told that I would have to bring the RV into Kentucky and then make an appointment to have it inspected. The Firemarshal informed me that I wouldn't have any problems towing the RV in Kentucky as long as I had the purchase paperwork with me. When I told him that towing it from the individuals home that I purchased it from in Ohio to the Kentucky line without a license plate may be an issue he indicated that it was my problem. You would think that they would be able to give you a temporay tag or something. I am also beginning to wonder if the Commonwealth of Kentucky cares about anything else but the fees they collect.

Just take all the paper work and the RV to the nearest RV dealer.

They can do the inspection for you.

The RV has to have a working smoke alarm and fire ext.

Then take your copy of the fire inspection form to the county clerks office.

The RV dealer will place a fire inspection seal on the RV.

Hope this helps.

DeerSlayer
04-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the information RVtech24. That will be a piece of cake to do since there is an RV dealer about 1/4 mile from where I will be camping. ptbrauch I think it has to have the inspection if it has an electric box. Thanks for all the advise guys!

JerryO
04-14-2007, 09:21 PM
I recently purchased a 24ft travel camper from a man in Indianapolis, Indiana and had him to sign the Indiana title as seller and I signed as purchasers and had the signatures witnessed. Tow the camper back to KY without a tag and if I had gotten stopped by the law I felt having the signed title and telling the law that I was taking it to Ky would not be a problem. However, I did not get stopped. Took the title to the county clerks office and transferred the camper into my name without any problems.

JerryO
04-14-2007, 09:45 PM
I have a smoke alarm and a fire extinquisher in my camper but I have not had it inspected by a firemarshall or a RV dealer. Do I have to have it inspected before using it a campgrounds.

12 pointer
04-15-2007, 10:58 AM
nope, I have owned three. never had any trpuble. they will just write down your license plate number on your vehicle and your camper. that's it.

raktrakr
04-15-2007, 11:46 AM
As long as you have your paperwork, there shouldnt be a problem. I think there's a law that protects you in this situation as long as your are going straight from point A to point B with the camper. I had a similar problem with getting a bike transferred from IN. The KY paperwork had to be signed and notorized on his end and likewise on mine and then inspected before it could be transferred into my name

DeerSlayer
04-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Gentleman they must not like me or Ohio titles. It cost me $100 to get an fire inspection at a RV dealer so I could transfer the title.

RVtech24
04-18-2007, 02:02 AM
Gentleman they must not like me or Ohio titles. It cost me $100 to get an fire inspection at a RV dealer so I could transfer the title.

Nothing to do with you or the Ohio titles.

I do 3 or 4 a week.

Every-one pays the same for the inspection.

Thats what the state of Kentucky charges for the little sticker.

Titus
09-22-2009, 07:36 PM
I got a travel trailer last year from Ohio and brought it back to KY. Fire Marshal came out and did his ispection at my house, it cost $60. Trailer was almost brand new, everything worked. I did feel a little violated with this fee, I guess it gives him something else to do and a way to pay him for it:confused:

duckslayer870
09-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Yep, but youll never have to pay it again though.

ptbrauch
10-09-2009, 11:53 AM
On my pop up, it was never a question about getting it titled and registered in Ky. But it was also 20 yrs old, so maybe it was grandfathered. But it did have electricity and a gas stove in it.

steelslinger
10-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Beware if it needs any kind of repair. Firemarshal's can be a pain in the neck. I bought a pull behind camper that had a soft spot in the floor by the door. I knew this when I bought it but had to fix it to get it approved. I was going to fix it anyway but had to have it fixed for the firemarshall to approve it so I could get a KY title and plates (other wise they can give a salvage title but you can't get plates for it with that, everything the firemarshall finds will have to be repaired with proof before you can get a regular title).

RV inspections are now $65 and manufactured homes are $100, I just paid the $100 for my late fathers doublewide that had no title or tag with a serial number. Yep, I had to jump through flaming hoops to get all that taken care of so I could sell it.