PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear Survey

Shelbyhunter
03-25-2007, 08:13 PM
With the increase in population, I was wondering about the members here at kyhunting and if you have seen a bear.

If so,

What county
Near what town.
Road kills
Digging in your trash.

I have not seen a bear but a couple of years ago, there was one here in Oldham Co. It was actually on the local news in Louisville. They caught it and transferred it back to KC state park.

big300mag
03-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Being from Harlan Co., I have seen them there. Not to mention all the sign that I used to see growing up squirrel hunting in the mountains. My cousin, who still lives there, at one time had a sow and two cubs coming down into his back yard looking for things to eat. Many of the eastern counties have a decent population.

buckfever
03-25-2007, 10:29 PM
I saw one in Letcher County about 4 years ago. I also saw one just a few miles from the KY border due north of Gatlinburg, TN. That one was back in 1990.

GSP
03-25-2007, 10:54 PM
With the increase in population, I was wondering about the members here at kyhunting and if you have seen a bear.

If so,

What county
Near what town.
Road kills
Digging in your trash.

I have not seen a bear but a couple of years ago, there was one here in Oldham Co. It was actually on the local news in Louisville. They caught it and transferred it back to KC state park.

I saw bear prints in the snow on Black Water creek in Morgan county in 1974. I saw bear prints on Murphy Fork in Morgan county in 1989. Saw a black bear in the edge of Wolfe county in 1994. Several have had photos in the local paper. A nuisance bear was caught about 5 mile from my farm.

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
03-25-2007, 11:36 PM
I've seen two black bears. Both were in Bell County Ky.

One was right outside of the Middlesboro city limits in my friends back yard. We were eating an after school snack, we were probably 3rd graders. The next thing we know we look out the sliding glass door and a black bear is standing in the yard looking at us. His mom video taped it, and she called the police. He lived in a little subdivision called Ambelside that runs right up to the woodline. It was captured than released elsewhere. This was around 1995

I also say one while jogging on the local fitness trail in the Cumberland Gap National park (About 5 minutes outside the Middlesboro city limits) This was in 2004.

I don't hunt in Bell County that often but when I did in high school I saw bear crap in most of the area's I hunted. I think there doing pretty good in those big S.E. KY mountains.

massive horns
03-25-2007, 11:45 PM
I've seen 3 black bears. Adair County..

BunnyBuster
03-25-2007, 11:46 PM
I havent personally but 2 of my buddies have seen them and a couple that was getting in stores trash had to be caught back in the 90's. A friend of mine showed me a trail cam picture his dad got just this past fall. 2 of these were in Greenup and the others in Lewis County.

notimlmit
03-26-2007, 04:26 PM
3 years ago where I hunt in Metcalfe co. my brother-in-law and his wife saw a black bear with 2 cubs on his property but no sightings since.

JeepKid
03-26-2007, 11:21 PM
I didnt see em personally but several others did right in town last summer . I think it was a sow and cub in the middle of downtown London. Dont know if they were the same bears, but they've visited town two years in a row now!! Also made the front page of the local paper.

My dad saw one on the jobsite for the new Harlan Co. High school right off 119 last fall. And others had been seein em pretty regular in that area.

Mount-N-Man
03-26-2007, 11:24 PM
I have not seen a bear but saw bear tracks in Bracken county on a farm I leased with some friends in July 2000.

jeff-ward
03-27-2007, 06:24 AM
ive seen several tracks , and 1 bear here on my farm in carter co.(olive hill)

yeehaw21
03-27-2007, 11:06 PM
I live in Letcher County. I've seen them up close and personal (more than I wanted to) in Letcher and Harlan County. Have seen many, many tracks and have seen some raiding the dumpster up above my house. There is enough of a population to have some limited hunting in my opinion. Trouble is that it would be another draw, so I'd have to sit back and watch someone else come into my area and hunt another animal that I can't do anything with but look at. Oh well! :(