PDA

View Full Version : Green Beans & Deer???

mudd
03-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Don't know if this is the correct place to post this or not, but here it goes.

Do deer bother green beans?
I'm planning or would like to anyway, on planting a rather large amount
of green beans. Problem is, the place I have in mind is a pretty heavy
travel area for deer.

Will the deer nip the tops off, will they bother the actual bean?

Anyone have any expertise on this?

skin_dog1
03-05-2007, 12:31 PM
deer will wear green beans out.

kybowhunter64
03-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Well im not sure if they do but..... If they do I will go out and blast a few for you!!:D

ceg4uk
03-05-2007, 01:25 PM
To my surprise, deer will eat the heck out of okra plants (I mean who really likes okra that much anyway?). Ate mine down to the dirt. I guess deer will eat just about any plant.

Duster
03-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Deer love green beans heck about any type of bean's also carrots, turnip's, radishes, just about anything you plant in a garden. There is one way to help keep them from eating you out of house and home but it takes a bit of work. Our garden gets hit rather bad unless we mix up some deer repellant and spray the plants on a regular basis. Mix powered red pepper and powdered garlic along with a raw egg white (this keep the mixture sticking to the plant leaves) and enough water to allow it to be sprayed on with a sprayer. You will have to do this after each rain to keep it effective. This is the same mixture you can find at places such as Lowes called Deer away and a lot cheaper to mix yourself.

aceoky
03-05-2007, 01:29 PM
deer will wear green beans out.

What he said, vines, blooms, the actual beans, they LOVE them......

Valley Station
03-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Green beans & deer and mashed 'tators. Pretty good eatin'.

They'll wear a garden out,unless your in an farming area with plenty of soybeans, clover, alfalfa.

Bucknuts
03-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Do not waste your time, they will eat them down to the dirt.

Hoosier5
03-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Deer will eat almost anything in a vegatable garden, including Green Beans. But if you want to see a crop disappear, plant some sweet potatoes! They'll eat off all the leaves then leave and when the leaves grow back the Deer move-in and eat them once more. One ends up with Sweet Potatoes the size of a golf ball!

Xi Bowhunter
03-06-2007, 04:50 PM
To my surprise, deer will eat the heck out of okra plants (I mean who really likes okra that much anyway?). Ate mine down to the dirt. I guess deer will eat just about any plant.
I love okra, fried and pickled!