PDA

View Full Version : Snagging Season

BunnyBuster
01-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Have any of you guys ever went snagging for rough fish? It is a barrel of fun and a good way to take the "fight" out of you so to speak. A 30# gar can do good for you in February.

I have a load of pics of them but have no way to scan them to the computer.

TedB
01-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Where do you snag at? I know alot of guys go around Kentucky dam, that's a little far for me. I'd like to do it more but don't know much about it. Every time I've actually tried it on the KY I kind of felt foolish and started trying to hook them in the mouth again. How deep do you let the rig sink before you start retrieving it? Do you pump the rod or just reel? I did snag a 20 lb paddle fish in the Ky river last spring fishing a tailspinner for white bass, you talk about a fight! Thanks, Ted

BunnyBuster
01-29-2007, 08:50 AM
I snag in a large feeder creek to the Ohio River. Go to the first deep hole up the creek or at the mouth. I fish directly on the bottom dragging it slowly like a plastic worm.

dorris
02-04-2007, 03:30 AM
yeah I have snaaged alot everytime i went fishing i snagged a stump or rock :D

BunnyBuster
02-04-2007, 02:22 PM
I used to have to get alot of fight out of my fishing now I more into angling. Snagging, fish of course, not stumps:D , was a true fire way to scratch that itch. Nothing like hooking a 20-30#gar in the tail.

TedB
02-10-2007, 06:47 PM
When do you usually start snagging? I know what you mean by the gar, we had a day last spring while white bass fishing that every other fish we caught was either a gar or buffalo, if you let your jig bounce too far down we'd snag the gar in the anus or gills and the buffalo in the stomach. The biggest buffalo was 33 lbs. Those whites fight hard but nothing like a gar snagged in the butt.

BunnyBuster
02-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Season starts Feb. 1, I think. All of the creeks here are froze up though.

Redlined
02-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Is gar all you usually snag in the feeder creeks?Also,what is average catch rate for a feeder creek on a good day?Never tried it but definately would give it a go.

HoosierHunter68
02-11-2007, 05:17 AM
I went a couple of times to Ky Dam with my uncle, never worked so hard in my life. Those lead sinkers get expensive when you don't know what the heck your doing!:o I must have went through a hundred of 'em.

HEAVYSETDOOBER
02-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Snagging season below kentucky is year around. You can snag any time Jan.1 thru May31 And then May 1 thru Dec. 31 from sunset to sunrise only. Me and my dad used to go almost every weekend during the summer months and we have have caught some really nice blues and channel cats. Dad dont care for it much now but I still go with my buddy's at least 8-10 times a year. The largest fish I ever snagged was a 44 !/2 # blue cat and let me tell ya after haulin that dude in I was ready to head to the homestead. The rough part is carrying your catch up the rocks which is a pretty good haul. Almost every time we go we bring home roughly 50# of catfish and give all the spoonbill away to the other people snagging because im not real crazy about the taste of it.

Xi Bowhunter
02-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Where are all the pics of your snagging success?! The people demand pics!

piebald buster
02-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Snagging season below kentucky is year around. You can snag any time Jan.1 thru May31 And then May 1 thru Dec. 31 from sunset to sunrise only. Me and my dad used to go almost every weekend during the summer months and we have have caught some really nice blues and channel cats. Dad dont care for it much now but I still go with my buddy's at least 8-10 times a year. The largest fish I ever snagged was a 44 !/2 # blue cat and let me tell ya after haulin that dude in I was ready to head to the homestead. The rough part is carrying your catch up the rocks which is a pretty good haul. Almost every time we go we bring home roughly 50# of catfish and give all the spoonbill away to the other people snagging because im not real crazy about the taste of it.
Man, I hope I'm there when you give away your spoonbills! :-) I use to go two or three times a year with a buddy of mine. But, it is such a long haul and don't seem to get the opportunity to go. Guess, I'm going to have to take the time to go!

golfman205
02-13-2007, 10:31 AM
How do you know that you are snagging a fish? you make it out to be really simple??? Im just confused on how it is done?

BunnyBuster
02-13-2007, 01:50 PM
If you have ever worm fished for bass or jig fished for sauger it is similar to that. You will feel a thump when you pull up against them.

BunnyBuster
02-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Is gar all you usually snag in the feeder creeks?Also,what is average catch rate for a feeder creek on a good day?Never tried it but definately would give it a go.

No we snag Buffalo, Carp, Catfish, and Gar. The bigger the creek probably the better density of fish (my guess). You'll need some fairly deep water. The mouth of creeks are good if the current is not too bad.

As for catch rates if you have a depth finder and can use it, you can catch or snag all you want and that is no joke.

You can see the gar rolling on top as you go by them. If you see that, FISH THERE. Try fireline or spiderwire. Treble hooks up front and weight at the bottom.

HEAVYSETDOOBER
02-14-2007, 04:49 AM
I'll try to expliain it to ya golfman. I use a 7 1/2 ft. calcutta pole with a big penn reel(cant remember what the size is. I'll look when i get home).I also use a #2 treble hook followed by a lead sinker varying in size from 8 to 12 oz. and 80 lb test line. First you tie the hook on and leave about a foot of line below it to tie your sinker on. now you heave this dude out in the water like its your mother-in-law. Let it go down to the bottom or you can try any depth,reel in the slack the pull back on it like youre settin the hook on 40 lb bass. now keep doing this until you about 10 yds from the rocks then reel in or else if you keep yankin that dude its going to come flying straight outta the water and peg the dude beside you square between the eyes(not that i know from experience:eek: ). Once youre in the middle of the jerk and snag a 30 lb spoonbill or catfish you'll know it, because if you dont have your drag set right it'll either pull you down the rocks about six feet or line will be screamin of your reel(BEAUTIFUL SOUND). I hope this tells ya what ya wont to know

schroader
02-14-2007, 09:02 PM
I'll try to expliain it to ya golfman. I use a 7 1/2 ft. calcutta pole

It only supose to be 7 foot from tip to tip.

As far a spoonbill taste, you can make them taste anyway you want. I wiil eat one of them before I will A CATFISH. That wright I can not stand the taste of catfish..

Schroader

HEAVYSETDOOBER
02-14-2007, 10:37 PM
I ckecked tonight and i'm legal, 6'11". I was thinkin 7 1/2 for some reason(my bad). I also ckecked to see what size reel i used and its a penn #309. My father-in-law has a man that comes to his watershed and harvest the eggs and also milks the males and he was tellin me that the only way he likes it is smoked. His watershed has some in it that would go over 50lbs. Thanks to the KDFWR. He says you wont eat another fish after you do it like this. I just havent got the stomach for it after the bad taste it left in my mouth after deep frying it like catfish. It just had a real bad fish taste about it. I will probably keep one the next time i go and put it on my new smoker i built and i'll let ya'll know how it is.

piebald buster
02-15-2007, 07:36 AM
How do you know that you are snagging a fish? you make it out to be really simple??? Im just confused on how it is done?
Going along with what HeavySet said, it's like having a pit bull on the end of a Zebco 202. Wah!

doug01
02-17-2007, 08:38 PM
I ckecked tonight and i'm legal, 6'11". I was thinkin 7 1/2 for some reason(my bad). I also ckecked to see what size reel i used and its a penn #309. My father-in-law has a man that comes to his watershed and harvest the eggs and also milks the males and he was tellin me that the only way he likes it is smoked. His watershed has some in it that would go over 50lbs. Thanks to the KDFWR. He says you wont eat another fish after you do it like this. I just havent got the stomach for it after the bad taste it left in my mouth after deep frying it like catfish. It just had a real bad fish taste about it. I will probably keep one the next time i go and put it on my new smoker i built and i'll let ya'll know how it is.

If you cut the spinal cord it makes it taste like that. The don't have a back bone so it is easy to cut. That spinal fluid makes the meat taste bad. Cut behind the head all the way around but don't cut through the spinal cord, then pull. The whole spinal cord will pull out and will make a pop when it comes out.

HEAVYSETDOOBER
02-19-2007, 02:46 AM
The way we do it ,if we keep any sponnys, is we cut the head off then cut around the tail ,being careful not to cut the the spinal cord, then pull it out that way. Without the head on it it'll be a bout 3 foot long but when you pull the spinal cord out of it it stretches out about 5-6 foot.