View Full Version : Perry County Elk Poachers Charged

elkguy
12-01-2006, 06:59 AM
Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources Release
Two Perry County Men Arrested and Charged
With Poaching Two Bull Elk
November 30, 2006 Contact: Mark Marraccini
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 1-800-852-0942, ext. 310
Frankfort, Ky. – Conservation officers with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources arrested two Perry County men Wednesday, Nov. 29, and charged them with poaching two bull elk near Hazard.
Alan R. Combs, 33, of Hazard, was charged with two counts of spotlighting and two counts of illegally killing and possessing elk. He remains lodged in the Kentucky River Regional Jail in Perry County in lieu of a $2,000 cash bond. The second person, Anthony Fugate, 32, of Viper, was released after posting $2,000 bond. He faces two counts of illegally killing and possessing elk, and one count of spotlighting.
Conservation officers Lt. Frank Campbell, Greg Watts and Billy Collett conducted the investigations and made the arrests after learning about the Nov. 19 evening incidents on the old Lost Mountain strip mine.
Campbell said Combs, with two young children in the vehicle with him, killed a small bull with a 20-gauge shotgun and slug sometime after dark. While trying to hide the vehicle, he became stuck and called Fugate for help. The two then removed the head of the small bull and later killed a bigger 6x6 bull and removed its head as well. They left the carcasses of the two animals in the field.
The officers recovered one of the antlers from the larger bull from Combs’ vehicle. Later, officers recovered the other three antlers from Fugate.
Combs is scheduled for arraignment in Perry District Court Monday, Dec. 4. Fugate has a trial date set for Dec. 11 in Perry District Court. Convictions could bring up to one year in jail, a $5,000 fine and $2,500 replacement cost for each poached elk. A conviction also could result in the forfeiture of any equipment used as well, including firearms and vehicles. The spotlighting charges carry $300 fines each.

michunter
12-01-2006, 07:03 AM
Well sounds like these guy are in some deep Doo doo , well serves them right really does , I hope they get a year for it, and they get the maxinum fines, they should really set a example of them, more because they had kids with them .:mad:

Mount-N-Man
12-01-2006, 07:44 AM
I hope they throw the book at both of them.

mcdenney
12-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Obviously, the charges weren't enough to deter them so evidently the fines aren't stiff enough. I hope they make an excellent example out of these boys and I hope Bubba down at the jail house has the time of his life...:rolleyes: I'm sure he has a stiff penalty for 'em.......

It would be bad enough to have them poach the animal to get the meat but to just take the head really gets my grits!!!!!:mad: Put 'em under the jail.

muzzy125acc
12-01-2006, 08:25 AM
one word STUPID.

Redlined
12-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Doesn't seem to me like the fines are nearly enough.Three years and $10,000 minimum sounds about right.I hope at the very least this is considered a felony where they cannot legally possess a firearm again.

michunter
12-01-2006, 08:48 AM
Well I guess if you look at the Troy Gentry thing there is not alot of differance , other he is a millionaire, and had the money to fight it . But hey these guys need to be mad a example of, I think they should loose there hunting privliges for life in Kentucky . The state works hard to get the hunting for elk and deer to be great and idiots like this take away from us !! Just think of how many deer these bulls could have mated with over the years . They took more than justa couple!!!:mad:

JPARKER
12-01-2006, 10:25 AM
WAy to Go KDFW. Looks like with the money these these dips are going to be out they could actually have went on a real hunt.

treedog
12-01-2006, 12:03 PM
i am glad to see them get caught but i don't think they will do very much to them,i don't know the combs guy but i do know fugate and i don't think he will get anything because his mother used to work in the court system and she might still do but i am not for sure but anyway as crooked as the court system is here in perry county i know she can pull a few strings and get fugate out of the charges.

gwhilikerz
12-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Trial, verdict, punishment. Doesn't matter if it is Gentry, Fugate, or "Joe Average". If guilty everyone should be punished the same. Consistant! LOL this is two threads I have said that on today. It must be on my mind.

lances
12-01-2006, 02:26 PM
I hope they keep up the good work.

Brewtus
12-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Obviously, the charges weren't enough to deter them so evidently the fines aren't stiff enough. I hope they make an excellent example out of these boys and I hope Bubba down at the jail house has the time of his life...:rolleyes: I'm sure he has a stiff penalty for 'em.......

It would be bad enough to have them poach the animal to get the meat but to just take the head really gets my grits!!!!!:mad: Put 'em under the jail.

Your killin me!! Are you talking about Bubba's night stick?

Strutter
12-01-2006, 04:43 PM
"Just think of how many deer these bulls could have mated with over the years . They took more than justa couple!!!"

MichHunter, I'd say not many. Haven't seen many DELKS around.

I know what you mean though.

JonDunn
12-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Would be different if they needed the meat, but sounds like they were just at it for killin and the antlers. They deserve the max.

kybowhunter64
12-01-2006, 05:22 PM
I hope they throw the book at both of them.

amen to that i hope that they do to thats bull crap that thye would do that and they teach there kids to do that:mad:

25-06
12-02-2006, 10:29 AM
I have to sadly say that I know both these Morons, Hell ,one of them even
run a sporting goods store in town. I think they should loose hunting priveledges for life and the fines are a joke,should be 25,000 dollars in fines and 5-10 years in jail.

kybowhunter64
12-02-2006, 12:40 PM
I have to sadly say that I know both these Morons, Hell ,one of them even
run a sporting goods store in town. I think they should loose hunting priveledges for life and the fines are a joke,should be 25,000 dollars in fines and 5-10 years in jail.

yea that would be perfect all the money we spent on the elk and then there poaching them:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ihuntsetters
12-04-2006, 07:09 PM
I know one of the guys involved to and I cant believe he would do that.
But I guess you dont know people as good as you think.
I think they should get the max, If ya gonna play you gotta pay.

trust me
12-04-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm sure everybody here will keep a close eye on the case, but I don't think you'll like the way it turns out in the end. I predict a meaningless fine and no jail, no loss of any privileges or property. Poaching doesn't mean much to the courts around here.

Feedman
12-04-2006, 08:16 PM
I predict a meaningless fine and no jail, no loss of any privileges or property. Poaching doesn't mean much to the courts around here.

I understand what you are saying and it is a SHAME. It should mean something.

realtree hunter
12-04-2006, 09:13 PM
crazy people in this world i guess thats what makes it go around

hollow_rat
12-06-2006, 11:29 AM
understand these guys was on a coal compnay prop. that they worked for and was fired so they lost their jobs also

25-06
12-06-2006, 07:05 PM
understand these guys was on a coal compnay prop. that they worked for and was fired so they lost their jobs also

That company had not been operational for years,and neither of them worked there ever to my knowledge.

hollow_rat
12-06-2006, 07:19 PM
got the location wrong i guess but a boss for james River said they worked there and was fired

treedog
12-17-2006, 03:44 PM
anyone have any news about what was done to the guys that was caught poaching the elk.

eky
12-17-2006, 04:56 PM
found this on the wymt tv site,,
Accused Elk Poacher Pleads Not Guilty
A man accused of poaching two elk in Perry County pleaded not guilty Monday.

A pre-trial hearing for 33-year old Alan Combs of Hazard was set for January 9th.

Combs and 32-year old Anthony Fugate of Viper are accused of killing two bull elk last month on the Old Lost Mountain Strip Mine.

Fugate is scheduled to be arraigned next week.

Rtwing
12-18-2006, 03:18 PM
The slap on the wrist these guys will eventually get will sicken us all.

The belief that the punishment must fit the crime is crap b/c too many elected officials don't see the degree of harm that we see. Nobody mistakenly shoots an elk with a 20 ga shotgun. For such intentional acts multiplied by the waste of the meat (can't even argue "I just had to feed my kids"), there should be a minimum of a year in jail and substantial fines that if not paid would lead to more jail time. Top that with some community service such as cleaning up trash along a river or lake for 6 months. Jail . . .they still eat. Fines . . . if they don't have $$, no big deal. But IF you make them work, now that's punishment.

Pathetic . . . .

stoney
12-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Unfortunatly, the Fish and Game officers gets little to no support from the local courts. At least that is the way it goes around here. Our game wardens cite many folks and arrest others and usually its a token fine and court costs.

grouseguy
12-19-2006, 10:35 AM
As hunters, we may think the court systems don't care about hunting violations, and in most cases, you'd be right. Just because we're passionate about hunting and game animals, doesn't mean that the rest of the population gives a flip about them. We may wish for stiffer penalties, but the cold hard facts are that it would be the exception rather than the rule to find an elected judge that would force the citizens of the county that elected him to bear the substantial costs of incarcerating a poacher over a misdemeanor.

Considering we already incarcerate a higher percentage of our citizens than any other developed nation, I see the trend likely changing in the future, whereby misdemeanors and non-violent offenses will be largely overlooked, or handled with fines, etc. due to the fiscal problems of housing so many prisoners.

Rtwing
12-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Grouse,

That's why I support forfeiture of their weapons, truck etc., forfeiture of hunting rights (although that probably wouldn't bother them), fines if they can pay them and community service. I also like the jail time but you make good points on that issue.

Community service may not sound like much but send em home to sleep in their own beds, eat their own food, pay their own expenses etc. but also require them to get out and work in a manner beneficial to the rest of us. Most sorry sobs that would poach an elk under the circumstances described would hate the work aspect of the punishment. Is it equivalent to jail? No, but its cheaper for us, a form of punishment for them, and stands a chance at being good for the community (focusing on the jobs no one wants to do or for which our local governments have to pay for).

I'd also like to see their pics posted somewhere so that when we see them buying shells at WalMart we can recognize and then laugh at them for being the "great white hunters" they think they are. "Man . . . that elk hunting is tough, why just loading its head in the truck hurt my back . . . ."

Feedman
12-19-2006, 10:19 PM
As hunters, we may think the court systems don't care about hunting violations, and in most cases, you'd be right. Just because we're passionate about hunting and game animals, doesn't mean that the rest of the population gives a flip about them. We may wish for stiffer penalties, but the cold hard facts are that it would be the exception rather than the rule to find an elected judge that would force the citizens of the county that elected him to bear the substantial costs of incarcerating a poacher over a misdemeanor.

Considering we already incarcerate a higher percentage of our citizens than any other developed nation, I see the trend likely changing in the future, whereby misdemeanors and non-violent offenses will be largely overlooked, or handled with fines, etc. due to the fiscal problems of housing so many prisoners.

I agree with you but when it comes time for this judge to get re-elected or someone who is running for this position ask you for your vote. Let them know that you are a hunter and want to hear their opinion on poachers, trespasses, game law breakers, etc. They will get the message that the hunters vote matter.