PDA

View Full Version : No gobbling?

bcdh1
04-12-2006, 02:54 PM
I went out his morning and did not hear but one gobble. Does anbody have any idea why? I went to two spots where they have been gobbling all day. There were turkeys all around, but i don't know what has happened to them. I don't know if it may have something to do with them henned up or the weather, or if they just up and left.

Multidigits
04-12-2006, 03:05 PM
IMO, a lot of the time, people screw their selves by getting out messing with turkeys too much before it's time. If you know they are there, leave them alone until maybe late Fri. afternoon. Then again, maybe they just didn't want to gobble today.

Big R
04-12-2006, 04:56 PM
I dont know were you are located but we had a small front come thru here this morning and the birds didnt gobble very good.It never rained but couded up and got really windy.
Never heard them hammer when the barometer is droppin!

bcdh1
04-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Thats how it was here. It spit some rain and was really windy. I was not close at all to where they roost. One place I stop off the side of a road and glass the field, but usually can hear them from the woods. That is good to know that that may be why they were not gobblin much or at all today.

INKYHUNTER
04-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Some days they don't gobble much. I agree with Multi you can screw yourself up by scouting to much. Where I hunt they are usually in the same locations each year with little variation.

nontypical2002
04-12-2006, 07:06 PM
I agree with BIG R..the fronts have alot to do with gobbling. But, we had mornings last year when the sun came up just as pretty as could be and you'd swear that every turkey in the county would be gobbling their fool head off and we heard nothing!!! Not one single gobble...we knew there were turkeys there but we heard nothing. A good indicator to me that I've found for gobbling is if the birds are singing in the morning and the squirrels are barking the turkeys are gonna be a gobbling..you can almost bet on it...(most of the time)

kevhunter
04-12-2006, 10:26 PM
IMO, a lot of the time, people screw their selves by getting out messing with turkeys too much before it's time. If you know they are there, leave them alone until maybe late Fri. afternoon. Then again, maybe they just didn't want to gobble today.
I agree with Multi, leave em alone until its time to hunt. I hunt the same farm year after year so there is really no reason to be out there messing around until season. If they are there I'll find em, or at least I have always found them in the past.

wkyduckslayer
04-12-2006, 10:34 PM
ive found it true that the birds dont holler much during a front, but also they dont always roost in the some spot, i have a group that has about 3 different roost spots on one farm and it's always a gamble which one they will fly up to. I glass a field fomr about 500 yds and can hear them gobble most morning. tuesday morn they didnt make a sound until 6:30 and thats when the geese started honkin.

turk2di
04-13-2006, 06:04 AM
I agree with Multi, leave em alone until its time to hunt. I hunt the same farm year after year so there is really no reason to be out there messing around until season. If they are there I'll find em, or at least I have always found them in the past.
I rarely scout anymore( age, gas prices, sperience,lazy). If i do it's with ears, binos. may hunt a spot in Webster Co i have NEVER seen! Love those kinda hunts! Nothin tests you as a turkey hunter like being pitched out in the dark, with dirctions scratched out with a stick in the dirt using the headlights;)

skin_dog1
04-13-2006, 06:36 AM
Only reason I scout is to look at and listen to birds. I love to hear them gobbles. Today I had 2 toms strutting near my house most of the day and they'd gobble at anything. No one is allowed to hunt this place so I just watch from the road and enjoy!!!!

wademup
04-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Monday the birds were fighting over who could gobble the most, wednesday they were silent. The man who figures that out will sell a lot of books!!!

Wademup

bcdh1
04-13-2006, 10:05 AM
I love to hear them too. I guess my biggest obstacle when it comes to hunting is confidence. All the times I have been out to this farm recently i have heard gobbles. When I go out there a couple days before season and hear nothing makes me lose confidence. I guess I will just have to be patient and wait them out.

HappyHunter
04-13-2006, 10:36 AM
They were gobbling this morning in Jefferson county. I heard 3 different birds 2 of which continued to gobble after fly down. One flew down in a field that had a single hen in it. The birds did not pay any attention to one another. He didn't even strut when he passed by her. He did strut when he reached the center of the field. He seemed a little nervous...I think he is probably a 2 year old that has been whooped. There was another bird roosted near him that only gobbled a few times.

I agree with the idea that you can screw yourself by scouting to much. I like to keep my distance and listen and watch the two days before season to try and pattern a bird.

Why does a turkey gobble? Because he can. When will he gobble? When he feels like it. ;)

WoodsWhisperer
04-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Have'nt went out for almost 2 weeks, hope to hear atleast a little gobbling on sat.

kevhunter
04-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Well, I found them again. I killed one Tuesday and one Sat. morning. The one Sat. took about an hour and forty five minutes to come in. Patience paid off again, and The LIL Deuce. Called in seven turkeys in two years with this call and about 12 or so all together. I wont use anything else one great little slate. Good luck too the rest of you.