PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear in Centeral KY??

9-pointer
06-15-2003, 11:46 AM
I live in Russell Co. and had a couple of people tell me that their have been sighting of black bear. One person found a foot print on one of the spot that I deer hunt and called the Department of Wildlife and they took a plaster cast of the print. Has anyone form the Department of Wildlife have any information about this?

Finn209
06-15-2003, 08:23 PM
I haven't heard anything. But your wildlife biologist should know. You can reach him with the info below.

Southeast Region

Counties: Adair, Casey, Clinton, Cumberland, Green, Russell, Taylor, Wayne

Chris Mason

120 Gaines Drive

Campbellsville, KY 42718

WK: 270/465-2839

FAX: 270/465-3575

cmason@kih.net

http://prod.bsis.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/9/9518/folders/3361/15369flyfisher.gif

Strutter
06-16-2003, 03:24 PM
I know there is a black bear that lives near Berea in Madison Co. It's been there a couple years now. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if you don't have them in Russell Co. as well.

MRDUKS
06-24-2003, 03:59 AM
My hunting buddy lives about 4 miles from the Russell Co. line in
Casey, his neighbor asked him to come down and verify some tracks
in his barn, something was ripping open feed sacks and he thought
there was bear tracks there. My buddy also thought they was bear
tracks. 2 weeks later someone reported spotting one cross the road
about a mile away nothing else since then.

mossyhorns
06-24-2003, 08:59 AM
That would make a good book, Strutter: "The Bruins Of Madison County."

Rob
06-24-2003, 10:31 PM
Kenny,

You missed your calling - you should have been in comedy, or politics. Some times it's hard to tell the difference...

It's hard to dance with the devil on your back...

rlb165
06-25-2003, 08:29 PM
Good one, Mossy!![:D][:D]

MRDUKS
06-26-2003, 02:01 AM
Hey 9-pointer pick up a Casey Co news this week it has a picture of a bear photographed in Casey. Fish and Wildlife Officer Roger Weddle
was quoted as saying he has received reports of bear in southern and
eastern Casey, he has had four sightings reported this month. Weddle also said bears have been present for some time and the population is increasing.

Duster
06-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Heck I got two black bears (tho neither one is black.. one blond and one chocolate ) here in Muhlenberg county...one stands beside my fireplace the other is on the wall above my kitchen cabinets..... sorry couldn't resist LOL.... Thats great to hear, bears making a comeback. Should make some deer hunters think when walking to thier stands in the dark...LOL.

shogan
07-08-2003, 08:45 PM
HUM

Another good reason not to get in the woods while it's still dark.

Is there anyway to find out what counties are considered to have resident bears.

Lets see Casey, Russell, Madison, Probably also Cumberland Clinton Wayne Pulaski, Rockcastle,

Hunter
07-08-2003, 09:59 PM
got a friend who works for a park up in harlan co. he says that they have been trapping some bears up there, and moving them around. to other counties in the state. moved like 8 of them last year i belive and then some this year also.

Finn209
07-09-2003, 04:55 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hunter</i>
<br />got a friend who works for a park up in harlan co. he says that they have been trapping some bears up there, and moving them around. to other counties in the state. moved like 8 of them last year i belive and then some this year also.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I doubt they are moving any bears. There would be about five bus loads of mad mothers at the main office door steps on the next day..........all from the "receiving" area.

http://prod.bsis.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/9/9518/folders/3361/15369flyfisher.gif

Valley Station
07-09-2003, 07:08 AM
There was a "bear stocking" in Big South Fork a few years back.
F&W has been trapping and relocating some "nuisance" bears.

Also, all the "ol' timers" around Mammoth Cave Park will tell you that "thah guvermunt people turned honey bears lose on the park" and "there is panthers on the park that got lose from a travelin' circus".[:)]

Larry Carter
07-09-2003, 07:29 AM
I had a bear here in Lincoln county. Haven't seen him or any sign lately. Friend in Marion county would see a female with cubs frequently.Several killed by cars in Bell and Harlan county over the past few years.

RTC
07-09-2003, 10:45 AM
yep.....were jest cuntry folks down here round dat thare Park

shogan
07-09-2003, 11:40 AM
Lions, and Panthers, and Bears

Oh my

ez
07-09-2003, 07:03 PM
unicorn??

aceoky
07-16-2003, 02:47 PM
I have a cousin in Whitley County, who was "forced out" of the bee-keeping business by the bears there. BTW, it's not a "tall tale" there have been bears here for awhile; four years ago or so, when I took my kids to hunter education, we were told by the instructors they were many bears, and you'd best not shoot them either...even went so far as to say, "if you have to shoot one, you'd better have proof of your life being in immediate danger"..

Also I read somewhere recently where they are putting radio tracking devices on the bears on Pine Mountain, to better keep track of them, seems we have quite a few moving in from the Virginia area , or that's what they said in the article.

Aceoky

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Pooge
07-16-2003, 03:03 PM
You have a better chance of getting hit by a boat walking to your mailbox than getting mauled by a bear in KY.

- There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not...

Pooge
07-16-2003, 03:04 PM
Its those darn Jackalopes you have to worry about....

- There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not...

aceoky
07-16-2003, 07:59 PM
You have a better chance of getting hit by a boat walking to your mailbox than getting mauled by a bear in KY.

Heh, the way it's been raining this year, I don't doubt that!! But I still wouldn't get between a sow and cubs.....or feed them...

Aceoky

Reloaders Haul Brass!

MrBowhunter
07-17-2003, 06:23 AM
You know last summer I saw something moving across a field about 1500 yards from the house. I t sure looked like a bear but I brushed it off as most likely a big dog. That is in Mercer County near the Washinton and Anderson county lines.

Kenny

Nascar hunter
07-17-2003, 07:52 AM
At 1500 (4500 feet)yards it was likely a figment of your imagination. It could have been a cow for that matter. They sway back and forth similar to a bear if they are fat enough.

The bird that chirps the loudest will get the most worms.

Big58cal
07-17-2003, 11:19 AM
The guy I hunt on in Marion Co. said that F&W confirmed a bear down there within the past week or two. Collected hairs off a barbed wire fence it went through. This was about 1/2 mile from where I hunt. May be interesting walking in the woods this fall before daylight. Better take a lot of wet-naps and toilet paper with me. I'll probably need them if I run face to face with one.

Highbow
07-17-2003, 02:41 PM
Big, that exact thing happened to a friend of mine last fall on Dewey Lake WMA as he was going into his stand, he thought life had come to a end when he came upon the bear.

bower
07-17-2003, 08:05 PM
well if you get chased by a bear and you decide to run, they said run down hill. it will trip them up. but heres the caught.........if you go down hill you gotta go up.

&gt;--&gt; if it's brown it's down&lt;--&lt;

Larry Carter
07-18-2003, 06:06 AM
When the bear was on my place the only sign was old rotten logs ripped up. I assume eating bugs. A radio tracking study from Pa a few years back found bears denning within 100 yards of subdivisions with ZERO reports of sightings. Personnal opinion is a black is not likely to threaten a person in Ky.[:)] On the other hand blacks have killed quite a few people.[;)]

Multidigits
07-18-2003, 05:13 PM
I couple of years ago there was a bear getting into boats on Nolin Lake. Tore up a lot of stuff. Never did hear the outcome, so he must have moved on????

GSP
07-18-2003, 08:48 PM
A new twist to through into this subject. Where IS CENTRAL KY?
I now live in Lexington, many say this is central KY. I have friends in Marion county that I hunt with and they live in the geographic center of KY. You ask anyone from eastern ky where it is and they say it starts in Winchester. I hunted in Greenville and mentioned that I was in western KY and I got corrected saying that western KY was that way (pointing west). You mention Cumberland lake and you are in south central KY. You mention Louisville and you are in Indiana. So just where is central KY?[:o)][?]

"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog".

Hammer
07-18-2003, 09:14 PM
lol, gsp, I've never figured out why my hometown, Bowling Green, is home to WESTERN Kentucky University. I consider Bowling Green southcentral, so maybe Elizabethtown is central Ky???

Multidigits
07-18-2003, 09:20 PM
All i know is you can't get there from here....

GSP
07-18-2003, 09:26 PM
E'town?? Central??
Ask birdman, Grouseguy or Highbow. That's down in western KY. Ask Rob and those guys and that's way east of here. I don't think there is a central KY![:D][:D]

"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog".

Birdman
08-04-2003, 04:34 PM
On Left Hand Fork, Lexington is Central Ky., E-town is the beginning of Western Ky. Eastern Ky. starts where the Mountains begin.

npsdave
08-18-2003, 09:17 PM
I've been at Mammoth Cave for over 12 yrs and I can honestly say I've never seen a bear and know we have never released any here. Of course that is because we are too busy trading Eastern Kentucky deer for rattlesnakes [;)]!

My dad does say he saw a black bear in a river bottom in far northeastern Hart County while inspecting a farm this year. The landowner told him he has seen the animal and its tracks several times. Needless to say, dad now carries his binocs everywhere now.

Ranger Dave
npsdave@msn.com

mossyhorns
08-18-2003, 09:47 PM
1. Western KY for Frankfort Politicians is anything west of I-65. To us real westerners, it is anything west of the LBL. To Frankfort, anything west of LBL is Illinois. Everything west of the TN River (KY Lake) was purchased from the Chickasaws in 1818. Word has yet to reach Frankfort. Eastern KY to us is anything east of I-65.

2. Western KY University is in Bowling Green because we already had one in Murray -- the real western KY.

3. THe real Western KY is the southernmost part of KY. Some parts of western KY are actually west of the Mississippi River. The southwestern most part of KY actually lies between the Mississippi River and the Mississippi River.

4. Louisville is part of Indiana. So is Owensboro. Northern KY is Cincinnati -- 'nuff said.

So there you have it folks -- like a fat woman without panties -- more information than you needed.

greenskeeter
08-19-2003, 06:37 AM
Funny stuff - until the end...I'll think I go lose my breakfast now...

broadside
08-20-2003, 12:09 PM
Hey MrBowhunter, I live in your area in Mayo, Mercer County. I know some guys from Tatum springs that live out by the parkway who swear they saw a bear cross a pasture field in the afternoon about 3 years ago.

44lever
10-19-2003, 10:08 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MrBowhunter</i>
<br />You know last summer I saw something moving across a field about 1500 yards from the house. I t sure looked like a bear but I brushed it off as most likely a big dog. That is in Mercer County near the Washinton and Anderson county lines.

Kenny

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's not hard to believe at all. If any of you are familiar with the Somerset area of Lake Cumberland, right after you come across the HWY 90 bridge, (Heading toward Monticello) a black bear showed up this summer in a backyard of a subdivision that sits there.

Story even made the paper.

ksp965
10-20-2003, 06:18 AM
I live in Letcher Conty. Bear sightings are common place here. A girl brought pictures to work where she took photos of a bear on her porch. To me Western Kentucky is anything on the West side of Hazard.[:D]

Bowcrazy
10-21-2003, 03:45 PM
Yeah the Pulaski County bear was seen as far west as the Fishing Creek bridge on west 80....just a bear hop and skip over to Russell County.

Mossyhorns discussion of where Western Kentucky is according to the people in Frankfort reminds me of the story about the bid opening that supposedly happened in Frankfort a few years back.

Seems State Government wanted a fountain built, put out an rfp and received bids from three contractors, one from western kentucky, one from central kentucky and one from eastern kentucky. The committee met, started opening bids and the first bid from the contractor from western kentucky was for $3,000. The chairman of the committee called him aside and asked him to explain his bid and he responded a thousand for me, a thousand for my men and a thousand for material. The next bid was opened and was from the central kentucky contractor and was for $6,000....again the chairman called him aside and asked him to explain his bid and he said two thousand for me, two thousand for my men and two thousand for material. Finally, the last bid from the eastern kentucky contractor was opened and was for $9,000. Again the contractor was called aside by the Chairman to explain his bid and he replied three thousand for me, three thousand for you and we'll give the work to the guy from western kentucky.

GSP
10-21-2003, 04:14 PM
Good one BC, LMAO!!!