PDA

View Full Version : Removing cockleburs

rons
11-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Took my Brittany and Setter hunting today. Had a great day of hunting. My Brittany came home today looking like a chocolate chip cookie. He's covered from front to rear in cockleburs and I've been removing them for the past 3 hours. Is there a easy solution of removing them? My hunting partner said he heard to spray the hair with PAM and comb them out. Any suggestions?

Spurgeon
11-27-2005, 08:11 AM
When my setters get into them I use a metal comb and a pair of sissors. Slide the comb under the burr and snip off with the sissors laying against the comb. This will prevent cutting the skin.

I remove the ones under the legs and the ears. Check the pads to be sure there are none between the toes, and let the dog work on the ones he can get to. I then check him the next day and usually they have gotten the most of them out.

trader rob
11-27-2005, 09:34 AM
take a pair of pliers and crush the burr and spray wd 40 on and comb out. works good on horse manes also.

rons
11-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the help. on using PAM cooking spray, I read that you spray the dogs fur with it before you go to the field. The burs won't cling to them.

RDL270
11-28-2005, 07:49 AM
I put a neoprene vest on my golden. that seems to help some. Of course in warm weather, I'd be leery. Looking at getting something else for warm weather. I tried the pam and wd-40 route, seemed more of a pain then anything. I'm with P, remove them where the dog cant' get to them or where it causes irritation and they will remove the rest themselves. Took a whole football game one afternoon to remove them........had sore fingers for the rest of the week. I hate those darn thing.s

rick243
12-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Don't know if this will help, but I know a fellow who after hunting will lay down in his yard and let his flock of chickens pick all the beggar lice off! After they get him done on one side he'll roll over and let them clean the other. In a few minutes he is clean as a whistle. If chickens like cockleburrs you may need to get in the chicken business, if your dog would hold still for it.:D

Deertracker1
12-08-2005, 03:43 PM
take a pair of pliers and crush the burr and spray wd 40 on and comb out. works good on horse manes also.

This works for Me also...

trust me
12-08-2005, 04:09 PM
My setter would keep burrs behind her ears if i didn't keep that area trimmed short. I use the scissors on my Leatherman and occasionally trim her up while we're in the yard or resting while hunting. She doesn't mind. As for the rest, i may have to trim a few out of her butt feathers and tail, but she keeps her legs burr-free herself.

I don't like the feathers on a dog that are so long they drag that ground. My dog has a naturally thin coat thank goodness, or I'd sure keep her trimmed up with an electric clipper.

uplandchessies
12-08-2005, 04:14 PM
I use a comb for the few burrs my dogs get. Sounds like you need a retriever. Ha! :p

trust me
12-08-2005, 07:11 PM
I use a comb for the few burrs my dogs get. Sounds like you need a retriever. Ha! :p

I'd get a retriever, if burr-resistance were my goal. But I like to shoot grouse, so I have a bird dog instead.:p

Lil Gsp
12-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Get a shorthair:D :p ;)

uplandchessies
12-08-2005, 10:13 PM
I'd get a retriever, if burr-resistance were my goal. But I like to shoot grouse, so I have a bird dog instead.:p

A bird dog is good. That's what I refer to my dogs as, although freezer-stockers would be a more appropriate term. :eek:

handgunner
12-08-2005, 11:38 PM
I agree with Li'l GSP.
Burr Free!

Bee
12-09-2005, 09:08 AM
There is a combing tool sold by LL BEan that is an incredible help in cleaning up burred setters...in fact our group refers to it asthe "setter tool"...LL BEan calls it the Mat Breaker ....it is a comb that has about ten sharp blade cutters in it, but hte blades are set in it so that the dog cannot get cut...this thing absolutely gets the burrs out painlessly for the dog and the owner...it is about 20$ but well worth it and I do not travel on a bird hunting trip without it...it is item TA27755 on LLBean.com