PDA

View Full Version : First and Second Rut

Muskie_man
10-11-2005, 01:25 PM
When does the first and second rut begin? Is there any huntin differences between the two. Thanks for the information!!!

Dev
10-11-2005, 01:28 PM
First one is usually the week before or the week gun season opens. Generally speaking. It may not pick up in intensity where you hunt at the same time where someone else hunts. The second rut is somewhere around the 2nd week of December where I hunt (Northern KY). I think the first one would be best. Deer have yet to be hunted too hard. And a lot of the big ones that might get killed during the later rut are running the first one. Although I did kill a very nice buck last year on Dec. 11th chasing a doe.

sixxfan26
10-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Actually there are three major rut phases:

(1) False or early rut: this happens around 0ct. 15, give or take a little. A few does come into estrous and you will see a flurry of rubbing, scraping, and maybe even some chasing going on.

(2) Primary rut: usually 28 days after the false rut subsides. Starts with seeking, segues into chasing, ends with breeding.

(3) Late or Secondary Rut: Usually 28 days after the primary rut is over. Much shorter in length.