PDA

View Full Version : Raccoons are eating all of my corn!!

Kygun
09-21-2005, 09:46 AM
http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/450000946/13.jpg
Any ideas on how to get rid of all of these raccoons? Not only are they eating a good percentage of my corn, they are also ganging up and keeping the deer off of the corn. I really don't want to put live traps or leg traps around the feeder. I don't want to turn a coon hunter loose on them either. As you might expect I want to keep the disturbance to a minimum. I've considered putting a can of spiked sardines up the tree but that is probably illegal not to mention secondary and unintended species being affected, so that's out. My wife says that they are cute and just feed them too and don't worry about it.

center_mass
09-21-2005, 09:58 AM
I had the same problem a few years ago.At the time I dealt with it till the season was oveer and spent the rest of the year thinning them out,but what I have try doing since is useing a timed feeder although you may still see one or two now and then.If you set you feeder to go off right before sun up and alittle before dark the coons dont seem to come out of the wood work till way later after dark. good luck!!!

SPURX2
09-21-2005, 09:58 AM
These coons will also bust up your turkey nest if you have any. I say shoot them or poison them, that's the only way to get rid of them. Just my thoughts though, nobody get mad over killing a coon please.

WildmanWilson
09-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Coon hunting isn't very popular any more and trapping has almost died out completely. This has allowed the coon numbers to explode. I would invite a coon hunter to come in and thin them out. It will not run the deer to the next county. I read a study where they said coon hunting didn't bother the deer and that they will still use the same area after the coon hunters left. Also shoot everyone you see when they come out early enough. DO NOT poison them. If you can still find someone who traps they could come in after deer season and thin them out.

N2MyWake
09-21-2005, 11:46 AM
You should trap them or let someone hunt them. You could go along it's alot of fun to hear the dogs work. I bet those are very rough on your turkey population.

Al
09-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Put a 50 gal drum out with a bit of corn in the bottom than put a 2x6 ramp to it for the coons to climb up ,my neighbor does this in his barn. They climb in but cant get out.

Art
09-21-2005, 12:04 PM
If it were me, I'd much rather trap them and get them out of there before I'd open it up to hunters or start putting poison everywhere. I personally don't think that the coons bother deer as much as a group of hunters and loud dogs would..

It's really a losing battle IMO. You can't put out food and expect only one targeted animal to take advantage.. I'd just make some other feeding spots if the coons are ganging up. That way you spread things out a bit.

Valley Station
09-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Shewt em !!

KY_Fried
09-21-2005, 01:47 PM
Like center_mass suggested a timed feeder will really help out with the coon and other critters eating all your corn. I had the same problem with coons and squirrels and it really helped out a lot.
Judging by those pics though it really looks like you've got an overpopulation of coons there. I'd suggest thinning them out. Trapping and hunting them will no doubt spook the deer a little but they'll be back to normal in no time. If you're a turkey hunter you'll probably be kicking yourself next spring if you don't get rid of them.

6.5x55swedish
09-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Thats alot of coons... I would say put out more corn.... or try and bait the coons in to another area until deer season is over. Looking on the up side if they are scaring the deer off at night???? That means the deer have to come in during the day... they might help your hunt

Turtleky
09-21-2005, 03:18 PM
I like the 55 gal drum and 2x6 idea. And Oh yea, did you maybe hang your camera upside down? :D

Rob
09-21-2005, 04:08 PM
You need a Havahart trap. I just saw a new one for sale for $22 plus shipping. Do a Google seach & buy you one. Best money you'll ever spend.

keith meador
09-21-2005, 09:31 PM
isnt it illegal to shoot them? isnt there a season for taking coons? just a thought........

GSP
09-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Any ideas on how to get rid of all of these raccoons? Not only are they eating a good percentage of my corn, they are also ganging up and keeping the deer off of the corn. I really don't want to put live traps or leg traps around the feeder. I don't want to turn a coon hunter loose on them either. As you might expect I want to keep the disturbance to a minimum. I've considered putting a can of spiked sardines up the tree but that is probably illegal not to mention secondary and unintended species being affected, so that's out. My wife says that they are cute and just feed them too and don't worry about it.

Either change your mind or start buying more corn.
I would find me a coon hunter that would come on the property with the undestanding that the coons MUST be taken if treed. Do this in December or late November. OR I would try to find a trapper that would target them. He is not going to set up under your feeder, he doesn't need a bunch of deer to spring his traps and to wise up the coons either.
Coon hounds want run the deer off. I have coon hunted a farm one night and deer hunted it the next day.
WE (as hunters/trappers) need to use each other as part of the solution.

peckprice
09-21-2005, 09:57 PM
That is a load of coons, no question. I would ask around and see if any of your aquaitances have a "live trap", (havahart, etc.) I still trap aggressively during trapping season and occaisionally remove nusuiance coons for my neighbors with the live traps. If you are serious about gettting rid of them, contact your CO or check the KDFWR website, they list the ADC people in your county. If gas wasn't so expensive, I would love to run up there and help you out.

Kygun
09-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to try the live trap route. I did like that 55 gallon drum idea though.

Ky mustang
09-22-2005, 08:58 AM
I have heard of an old trapping method. Drill a hole in a hollow log or a wooden box you have built and drive 3 nails through it at an angle. Bait it with something and the coon will stick his foot inside the hole to get it but can not get his foot out.

Strutter
09-22-2005, 09:42 AM
One other option that hasn't been mentioned is to stop putting the corn out. After a couple weeks without the corn, the coons will go to the neighbors corn pile. Nothing like being a good neighbor ya' know.

etownhunter
09-22-2005, 07:28 PM
I would just have some field tips ready!! Wait for em one by one and pin em to the ground! If you bow hunt that is. I have shot a few tryn to eat outa my feeder!

6.5x55swedish
09-22-2005, 08:50 PM
I wonder why we as humans find the need to manage wildlife we like to hunt, but destroy everything else that gets in the way of that? The eco-system depends on a balance and as outdoorsmen I think it is our responsibility to nurture that balance. I know that, when asked, I have answered that the reason that I hunt is in an effort to manage wildlife in order to preserve it for future generations. If we are going into the woods and killing off the coyote, snakes, coons and any other animal we see as a threat to us or our sport then we are doing more harm than good. Nature will balance itself out. Many deer would starve and die off if we stopped hunting them, but in the end the herd will live on at the capacity of the land on which they live. In areas where deer are forced by deep snow to yard up for the winter when a winter is servere and food supply is short all the does abort their fawns in order to survive. Nature can take care of its self without the interference of humans. I think in order to protect our rights as hunters and outdoorsmen we need to do a better job of representing the benifits that we bring to the conservation table. We have a duty to educate ourselves in order to understand the importance of all spieces to our eco-system; not just the spieces that suit our interest.

hunter115
09-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Stick some carbon through them I say. One of the farms I hunt, the owner asked me to take as many raccoons, ground hogs etc. as I can. I always let him know that I am doing what he asks and he really appreciates it.

arshooter
09-22-2005, 10:31 PM
already said its not legal to shoot coons now so take your chances let some good dogs in the that wont effect your deer i have seen deer look at coondogs on track and never pay attention,,, that shoot em ??? hmmm maybe you better wait till its legal dont ya think ???wildlife is wildlife and poaching is poaching if i am correct..

Kygun
09-22-2005, 10:33 PM
I hear what you’re saying Swedish. I used to have a "kill 'em all let God sort 'em out" mentality. I find as I get older I have more of a "live and let live" "can't we all just get along" mentality. That having been said, that many coons has got to be devastating the turkey population! Sometimes it seems like common sense has to be used. You want more turkey/deer, get rid of the competition by whatever means necessary. You will never kill out the raccoons. They are just too prolific. If just 50% of those 8 raccoons are female and have 5 offspring each, that's a potential extra 20 coons next year, assuming they just reproduce once a year.

Kygun
09-22-2005, 10:42 PM
From the KDFW website:

EARLY RACCOON & OPOSSUM HUNTING ONLY

November 1 through noon November 14, 2005

ALL FURBEARER HUNTING & TRAPPING

Noon November 14, 2005 through noon February 28, 2006

(Includes raccoon, opossum, mink, muskrat, beaver, red fox, gray fox, weasel and striped skunk)

I wonder if this applies to live trapping and relocating, also, do you need a trapping license to livetrap and relocate??

6.5x55swedish
09-23-2005, 05:26 AM
I would say you do need a trapping liscense even with live trapping as it would be hard to prove to a warden that you were relocating them. I do see a need to control this coon population, inseason and through legal means. However; like the deer I mentioned earlier that abort their fawns when food is in short supply; the coons will populate when food is plentiful and who is making that food plentiful... we are by baiting deer that are already thick as fleas to beginwith. Don't get me wrong.... unlike some people I have nothing against feeding deer, when done right, but I do think we sometimes need to stop and consider the over all picture. What impact are we causing by our actions? I feel that some of the negitive coverage that hunters get from the public is brought on by the good intentions hunters who were not careful when making critical decisions.

MTNMAN
09-23-2005, 07:17 PM
Coon hunters with good dogs that don't chase deer will not bother the deer whatsoever. Give the coon hunters a place to hunt. Finding a place to coon hunt is almost as hard as finding a place to deer hunt.

shogan
09-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Lets see whats that word I"m thinking of

Oh Yeah

RABBIES!

Surely with that many coons you can get a nuisance permit after all you meerly have out corn to feed your livestock in normal agricultural practices.

I'm betting if you stop the corn the rabbie monsters will disappear.

GSP
09-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Relocating coons is not a good idea. Coons (like all other animals) are territorial and you are putting a stress on another group of critters in the area you dump them.

You are just moving pot holes, if you have a problem, thin some out.

gotopless
09-30-2005, 10:19 AM
live trap them, then get with center mass and get him to take them over to the farm that he was pushed out of. lol. that would fix two problems.