PDA

View Full Version : Hunter shoots herself with crossbow, dies

pentail
09-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Is this a first for the state of KY?

http://www.lex18.com/news/police-say-woman-dies-after-accidentally-shooting-herself-with-crossbow/

A woman in Owen County is dead after she was apparently accidentally shot with a crossbow.

The incident happened Sunday. Police say Yvetta Reffitt, 59, of Martin, KY, was hunting on a farm in Owen County when the incident occurred. Reffitt had been dropped off to hunt by herself at 6:45 a.m. When Reffitt did not return for lunch, members of her hunting group began looking for her and found her at approximately 11:30 a.m. Reffitt was deceased when she was found.

Preliminary investigation points to the crossbow shot, along with pre-existing medical conditions, as the causes of Reffitt's death.

Police continue to investigate

wademup
09-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Along with pre- existing conditions?

philipfleek
09-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Along with pre- existing conditions?

Yeah really??

quackrstackr
09-25-2012, 12:29 PM
One of those things that people on blood thinners probably don't think about.....

1wildcatfan
09-25-2012, 12:40 PM
i'd put money on it that she was climbing in or out of a stand with the crossbow loaded.

ConfederateKnowHow
09-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Depression?

scsims
09-25-2012, 12:53 PM
I feel sorry for the family... but where is it crossbow season in KY right now?

ConfederateKnowHow
09-25-2012, 12:57 PM
If you have a disability, you can hunt with a crossbow during archery season.

Duster
09-25-2012, 12:57 PM
I feel sorry for the family... but where is it crossbow season in KY right now?

With permit everyplace.

Your probably right on the blood thinners. I take Pradaxa and even a small scratch bleeds forever. I can't imagine a broadhead cut to a artery.

scsims
09-25-2012, 01:06 PM
If you have a disability, you can hunt with a crossbow during archery season.

Forgot about that.

FranciscoJ
09-25-2012, 01:14 PM
It's unfortunate, but it happens EVERY year. How many times do we hear about falling from a stand, or a loaded gun going off? I, like everyone else, give condolences to the family. But this has to serve some greater purpose. At the very least, hunter-safety should be learned. Don't load a gun or bow unless you're ready to shoot. Don't walk or climb with the dangerous end pointed at you. I can only imagine how the family feels. But I would argue, however tragic, 99.9% of all hunting related accidents are avoidable.

elkaholic
09-25-2012, 01:37 PM
That really stinks. I myself am on Plavix and aspirin and you never think about what can happen. My condolences to her family and friends.

stevemeadows
09-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Prayers go out to the family!

carnivore
09-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Shooting one's self with a crossbow seems very hard to do. I could see someone cocking it for her since she probably couldn't pull it back but why put the bolt in?

Prayers for all involved regardless.

rather-b-huntn
09-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Only Martin I know of isn't anywhere near Owen county. Is there more than one?

dxtsniper
09-25-2012, 02:56 PM
One of those things that people on blood thinners probably don't think about.....

A lot of us think about it all the time.
It also seems to depend on where I get cut. I have cut myself at work on the hand and it bled like normal. Then like a couple weeks ago I was eating a popcicle with the kiddo before bed and had a splinter on the stick make a 8th or even a 16th" cut on my lip. Woke up at 3am to a half soaked pillow that night, thought I had it stopped, but it was still going when I woke up to go hunting the next morning. Finally got it stopped but all I could think was, I don't wanna go to the er for one dang stich to get this to stop.WTH?
I do use a broadhead wrench (most of the time) now. It sucks to have to worry about stupid stuff like a tiny cut but I know for a fact it beats the alternative. S

browningshutr
09-25-2012, 03:12 PM

No Martin around Owen County, but we get a lot of people here to hunt from all over the state.
I'm surprised that I didn't hear of this happening. It's been quiet around here.
So sorry for her family!

Shaine1985
09-25-2012, 04:07 PM
So sad..prayers out to the family

NitroHunter
09-25-2012, 06:10 PM

It said on the news she was from Martin ( Floyd co. I think) and hunting in Owen County.

bnt5
09-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Thats sad. I am still trying to get my head around how someone would shoot themselves with a crossbow? The only thing I can think of is a shot to the leg, hitting a femoral artery and preexisting conditions would be deadly. Stay safe out there guys, watch where you shoot and whats beyond it.

JDMiller
09-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Thats sad. I am still trying to get my head around how someone would shoot themselves with a crossbow? The only thing I can think of is a shot to the leg, hitting a femoral artery and preexisting conditions would be deadly. Stay safe out there guys, watch where you shoot and whats beyond it.

Just speculating...but from what I've read over the years ....a lot of accidents occur when they have a slung...cocked & loaded crossbow over their shoulder. Especially climbing in & out of stands... and unfortunately strikes the neck & head area. Factor in other existing medical conditions... just really sad.

I'm guessing but with experience.... would be one of those things where maybe you sat on stand / blind for several hours and forget to remove the arrow before climbing down / leaving. Just walking around with a loaded one does'nt make a lot sense...but unfortunately it occurs. Clothing... brush..human error can cause the safety / trigger to be manipulated to fire condition. Just a factor to have all those things occur..then were reading about accidents as this.

Following safety rules with a crossbow is no different than that of a firearm..and at times even more-so..... you cant rely on a mechanical safety to prevent accidents on a cocked & loaded weapon. Simply removing the arrow / bolt while your not actually on stand /actually hunting is an important safety rule to get in the habit of.

My prayers to the family...again..just a sad accident no one wants to hear occured.

bowhunter41653
09-25-2012, 07:53 PM
It said on the news she was from Martin ( Floyd co. I think) and hunting in Owen County.

Martin is in Floyd country. It is just outside Prestonsburg and 20 minutes from Pikeville.

Cornpile
09-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Well said JDMiller.Sounds like just a tragic accident.....prayers sent for all involved.

deadaim
09-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Watching the news last night it seems she was a very avid hunter who was out with some other Lady's who were all hunting. They were very safety conscious to the point they had a designated meeting place for lunch. I would say she was well aware of safety precautions. Like I'm sure we are all guilty of especially those of us who have hunted a long time we sometimes take short cuts on safety. She could have just set her crossbow cocked and locked on her shooting rail and it fell off hit the ground and discharged. Lots of ways you can get hurt in this sport. My heart goes out to her family and prayers to get thru this tragedy. Sorry we lost a fellow hunter who must have loved the sport.

FourSeasonsBowhunter
09-26-2012, 08:33 AM
God rest her soul. Very sad.

kyarcher
09-26-2012, 01:16 PM
i'd put money on it that she was climbing in or out of a stand with the crossbow loaded.

That's my guess also. My prayers go out to her family.

racsr
09-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Sad storry! I hope that it will serve as a reminder to us all! maybe her pasing being disscussed like it is here can help others in some way. May God bless her loved ones!

wademup
09-26-2012, 03:35 PM
I'm in a sling from a fall at work, we have all been injured it just becomes a bigger story when hunting is involved and of course the unfortunate death. Life is precious and fragile, prayers to her family

browningshutr
09-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Some more info on the incident. The lady was reportedly found by her hunting party at 11:30am with a single wound to the leg that was caused by the broadhead. She had a tourniquet on her leg from where she tried to stop the bleeding. It is suspected that she may have been loading the crossbow when it accidentally fired. The arrow has not been found.

She had to have known it was serious from the instant it happened if she had tried to touniquet her leg that quickly.

Everyone please be extra careful out there this season. We take too much for granted on a daily basis, but it can be taken away so quickly.

P. Beyer
09-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Awful....
If the tourniquet account is true,... Poor lady. In any event, a loss of life is tragic. My thoughts are with them

12 pointer
09-27-2012, 12:34 AM
To know you are bleeding to death, alone in the woods, thinking of your loved ones as you realize you cannot control the bleeding has to be an empty feeling. Prayers for her family. Given a cut to the right area, It wouldnt take long for one to pass. Sad indeed.

ColbyKiller
09-27-2012, 01:37 AM
Prayers sent.

browningshutr
09-27-2012, 05:18 AM
Awful....
If the tourniquet account is true,... Poor lady. In any event, a loss of life is tragic. My thoughts are with them

That was the report given in our county newspaper yesterday.