PDA

View Full Version : Which gets more Pressure Public land or Private Land ?

billproxs
01-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Which gets more Pressure Public land or Private Land ?

I actually think many areas of public land get way less pressure than many private lands.

There are places in LBL that get very little hunting pressure each season, especially the big woods areas away from the crops, and hard to access places on the lakes.

Compare that with Private land here in Calloway County. Many private lands here, get hunted several days each week, and get Gun Hunted numerous times each season, plus people can ride ATV'S and pressure the land even more in some cases. IMO

IMO Most Private lands in KY and other states these days get slammed with hunters and hunting pressure every year.

billproxs
01-08-2012, 09:53 PM
So some public land hunters may actually be hunting Less Pressured Deer than some Private land Hunters.

Where I hunt in southeast Calloway County, it can sound like World War 2 on opening weekend of Gun Season. It's a wonder any Bucks can grow old at all, lol

This is the case across this state and others on private land.

Fat Tony
01-09-2012, 05:00 AM
Its a great question.

What we often see is that when parcels get broken down and sold into multiple lots, each one in turn gets hunted at a much higher frequency and rate than they did prior to gettting broken up. Bow, ML, or gun, nearly every parcel around us in Pendleton is getting worked over every weekend. Seems everybody has a limitless number of friends and relatives. Early ML weekend and opening day of gun the driveways on our road look like a used truck lot. Lots of trucks with KY plates from counties that are 2-3 hours away.

Even those 5 acre building lots have now turned into primary hunting areas that have boots in the woods every weekend. The pressure is incredible but it is what it is. the cost of hunting a county within a hour of both Louisville and Greater Cincinnati/NKY.

If anything gets us thinking about moving to a less popular county that is a longer drive away, this will be it.

We continue to have high doe numbers but in my opinion the buck age structure is probably lower now in our neck of the woods than it has been in 7-8 years.

colvin
01-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Apparantly this is pimp out Kentucky's Public Land week on the Kentucky hunting forum! If I really believed I could hunt less pressured bucks and have a better chance at killing a mature buck on public land than private land, then I would keep my mouth shut and hunt it.

ggodwin
01-09-2012, 09:26 AM
My problem with deer hunting public ground is dealing with the rabbit and bird hunters. They can wipe out a good sit just after daylight. Of course they can work to my advantage sometimes. But it is very drustrating.

Iceman35
01-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Depends on what public land we are talking about. Are there places in DBNF and some of the larger WMA's that are so inaccessable that they recieve little pressure? Sure.

The one piece of Public I hunt occasionally gets pressure from more than jsut deer hunters. Its small game hunters, which I don't mind at all, random people that let their dogs run around and have no clue its open to hunting, despite the 6'X6' sign telling them it is, mountain bikers, and the occasional idiot who walks in a ways and starts tossing rifle lead randomly into the woods. That plus the department farms it out a bit and they are doing some type of forest restoration. I have found a couple of somewhat remote spots that are harder to get to, but you get the point.

That being said, the private piece where I mostly hunt is a smaller tract, two, 40 acre parcels, that recieves mostly only my own bowhunting pressure before gun season. After gun season, the deer become mostly nocturnal, as I imagine they do in a lot of KY.

bduncan14
01-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Which gets more Pressure Public land or Private Land ?

I actually think many areas of public land get way less pressure than many private lands.

There are places in LBL that get very little hunting pressure each season, especially the big woods areas away from the crops, and hard to access places on the lakes.

Compare that with Private land here in Calloway County. Many private lands here, get hunted several days each week, and get Gun Hunted numerous times each season, plus people can ride ATV'S and pressure the land even more in some cases. IMO

IMO Most Private lands in KY and other states these days get slammed with hunters and hunting pressure every year.

I agree 100% about the pressure some places in LBL receives. However, after years of hunting LBL, my experience is that no matter what location in LBL I choose, and I seldom hunt around major agricultural areas, the deer within its boarders act as though they are hunted 365 days a year with rifles. I my opinion, these deer throw signs differently, rut on their own schedule, and do not behave anything like deer on any private land I have ever hunted. Crazy thing, you wouldn't think this would be true, especially in places that are closed for hunting until Dec. 1 and never allow gun hunting, but most of the time those deer act as if they are an entirely different species.

O'Brien
01-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Friend and I spoke to CO at Lloyds once, been a few years ago, and he said 1110 acres there andy maybe 10% is even pressured. Noone likes to walk back in and put in the work. No atv's allowed etc. Everyone assumes public land is pressured. Just like they think the first stall at the public restroom is used most of the time......when its the last one. ;)

Iceman35
01-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Friend and I spoke to CO at Lloyds once, been a few years ago, and he said 1110 acres there andy maybe 10% is even pressured. Noone likes to walk back in and put in the work. No atv's allowed etc. Everyone assumes public land is pressured. Just like they think the first stall at the public restroom is used most of the time......when its the last one. ;)

Hmmm.... well, his definition of pressured is different than mine. IMO his numbers for Lloyds is a bit off. Plenty of people walk back as I do.

Highbow
01-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Some of the public WMAs in my area have a lot less deer and a lot less pressure because of the fact you usually hunt where you can see game.

O'Brien
01-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Hmmm.... well, his definition of pressured is different than mine. IMO his numbers for Lloyds is a bit off. Plenty of people walk back as I do.
Been a few years. Maybe its changed.

B.G.O. of Kentucky
01-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I've been hunting LBL for about 25 years, and I have seen times where you had to take a # for a parking space, and other times when it was seemingly empty. I know of tons of private farms that don't get hunted, and others that have people hunt them 5 days a week. Certain areas of public land may not see a soul due to accessibility, much like anything else.

kysteve
01-10-2012, 05:52 PM
I would have to agree with fat tony and ggodwin. I hunt both private and public and have experienced both of what you all are saying. I think the reason people who have access to private land usually hunt it is because of convience, its just easier to drive within a few minutes of your stand, either in a truck or on an atv. The same reasoning if you kill, its just easier to get it out of the woods. I was hunting public ground with bow opening day of gun season, I passed a shot at a doe at about 10 yards just because I was a 30 minute walk to the truck. But I also have a divided tract of land and there were 3 brothers gun hunting on 30 acres next to my land. There are 2 people hunting small tract behind me, several on the other side. So I totally get what fat tony was saying. Rabbit hunters and bird hunters cover every inch of ground on public land and this seems to cause as much pressure on the deer as anything. BOTTOM LINE IS UNLESS you are lucky enough to own hundreds of acres you will likely be hunting very pressured deer anywhere you hunt.

WildmanWilson
01-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Well as a whole....public by far. You can pick out certain places or areas that defies the rule but if we are speaking in general then it's no contest.

billproxs
01-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Yep, I can drive on a weekday in LBL during Bow Season and only see a few people parked along the roads within a 5 mile radius of the place in LBL I hunt.

smashdn
01-11-2012, 08:08 AM
and the occasional idiot who walks in a ways and starts tossing rifle lead randomly into the woods.

That guy is everywhere. I was fishing the other day on one of the WMA's and some knuckledraggers roll into the parking lot and start sighting in there new elephant rifle. There was only one logical direction they could have been shooting due to a road and a pasture full of cows. That direction was towards me.

I agree with the premise that private land gets more pressure. There are weekends when I may hunt public land for woodcock during bow season and never see a deer hunter. Other times I'll be duck hunting and be the only person around.

Last Sunday when I was fishing, other than the target shooting I never saw sign of another person, and did see a few deer.

tyshe17
01-11-2012, 09:55 AM
My 104 acres of private land had 7 hunts on it this year about 23 hrs of pressure...

I hunted it 3 times

I hunted public land 30 plus times.

Public land can be great but it takes work and any hunt can be ruined in a heart beat by some idiot. Plus, carting a stand and gear where you need to be on public land is flat work...no two ways about it.

In 3 hunts I saw 2 3.5s and 2 2.5s on my land.

I saw 1 3.5 all year on public...

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
01-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Just curious Tyshe, what drives you to hunt public land 30 times and your own private land so little?

thunderchicken09
01-11-2012, 06:37 PM
I have really only hunted public land at two different places and the clay farm or whatever in fleming county i think is pretty good. Been there turkey hunting and saw a ton of turkeys and went there rabbit hunting twice and shot rabbits both times. The only time i saw other people hunting it was opening day of dove season and there were too many people for that small sunflower field.

tyshe17
01-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Just curious Tyshe, what drives you to hunt public land 30 times and your own private land so little?

Proximety, my land is 2 hrs away and public land is an hour (I can make it there after work in early season).

Productivity, I don't see deer on my land until the end of October then it gets really good.

Pressure, I limit it on my land expecially the best areas and only hunt with the correct wind. A south wind kills my land and most pre set stands (something I am correcting for next year), but this year it limited when I could hunt so I would go else where

Iceman35
01-12-2012, 10:19 AM
That guy is everywhere. I was fishing the other day on one of the WMA's and some knuckledraggers roll into the parking lot and start sighting in there new elephant rifle. There was only one logical direction they could have been shooting due to a road and a pasture full of cows. That direction was towards me.

I agree with the premise that private land gets more pressure. There are weekends when I may hunt public land for woodcock during bow season and never see a deer hunter. Other times I'll be duck hunting and be the only person around.

Last Sunday when I was fishing, other than the target shooting I never saw sign of another person, and did see a few deer.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Only had it happen once, but was walking up a hill from a creek bottom and heard 8 or 9 rifle shots in about 3 seconds. After number 4, I figured out the noise I was hearing above my head were the bullets zinging through the treetops. As you can imagine, I was a bit upset. I pulled my .45 and fired 3 shots into the opposite creek bank and yelled various profanities so they would know there was someone in the direction of there fire. I looped around and came back to the top of the ridge to find "squirrel hunters" in t-shirts and shorts reloading the magazine of their AR-15. Let's just say, the conversation that followed cant be repeated in church.

Iceman35
01-12-2012, 10:21 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Only had it happen once, but was walking up a hill from a creek bottom and heard 8 or 9 rifle shots in about 3 seconds. After number 4, I figured out the noise I was hearing above my head were the bullets zinging through the treetops. As you can imagine, I was a bit upset. I pulled my .45 and fired 3 shots into the opposite creek bank and yelled various profanities so they would know there was someone in the direction of there fire. I looped around and came back to the top of the ridge to find "squirrel hunters" in t-shirts and shorts reloading the magazine of their AR-15. Let's just say, the conversation that followed cant be repeated in church.