PDA

View Full Version : HELP. Dodge Durango Won't Start.

predator1
12-08-2011, 07:54 PM
My wifes 05 Dodge Durango will not start. Battery is good. But it acts like there isn't even a battery in the vehicle at all.. I'm getting current in the fuse box. No interior lights, no horn, no radio, no nothing. Only a small red light on the dash. I need some help.

Manhattan
12-08-2011, 08:10 PM
I know you might think the battery is good, but it sounds like it's down.

Manhattan
12-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Another thing that could cause it to act like is whats called a "Main Relay"

predator1
12-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Checked the fuses, all good. Battery is giving off 13.1 volts. Getting 12.9 volts at the main fuse box under the hood. No lights will work. It literally acts like it has no battery in it. The only thing that works is a little red light on the dash that stays on solid.

Cornpile
12-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Try this ,disconnect the pos battery post cable for a few mintutes ,then reconnect.If it fails to start ,do this

When the armed Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) senses that the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, it enters its power-up mode. In the power-up mode the alarm system remains armed following a battery failure or disconnect. If the VTSS was armed prior to a battery disconnect or failure, the system will have to be actively or passively disarmed after the battery is reconnected.

The alarm can be disarmed by locking the vehicle and turning the drivers door lock to the lock (arm) position. Wait a few minutes then unlock (disarm) the drivers door and the vehicle should start.

If the VTSS has been disabled in the high-line Central Timer Module (CTM), the VTSS feature must be re-enabled using the Chrysler DRB scan tool. The clicking you heard was probably from the CTM located behind the glove box.

mason0366
12-08-2011, 08:30 PM
We one.. It was a 99 it had the red light on left side of dash it stayed on. With key out. It was something with alarm. It should have a main fuse relay under hood. Thats what it sounds like. I do know if jump it off and the battery is complely dead. It will die if you take cables off. Dont know if helped or not.

12 pointer
12-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Yeah, what he said!!!!!!!!!! :)

Try this ,disconnect the pos battery post cable for a few mintutes ,then reconnect.If it fails to start ,do this

When the armed Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) senses that the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, it enters its power-up mode. In the power-up mode the alarm system remains armed following a battery failure or disconnect. If the VTSS was armed prior to a battery disconnect or failure, the system will have to be actively or passively disarmed after the battery is reconnected.

The alarm can be disarmed by locking the vehicle and turning the drivers door lock to the lock (arm) position. Wait a few minutes then unlock (disarm) the drivers door and the vehicle should start.

If the VTSS has been disabled in the high-line Central Timer Module (CTM), the VTSS feature must be re-enabled using the Chrysler DRB scan tool. The clicking you heard was probably from the CTM located behind the glove box.

philipfleek
12-08-2011, 08:56 PM
make sure the battery terminals are tight and corrosion free. and also that it is in park.

P. Beyer
12-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Similar problem once with mg dodge PU. Was the battery.

predator1
12-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Similar problem once with mg dodge PU. Was the battery.Beats me. I unhooked the battery and it didn't help. Finally just took the battery out of our Camry just to truly eliminate the battery. It fired right up!! Beats the h**l out of me. Thanks for the help and quick responses guys. Gotta love this place!!!

P. Beyer
12-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Yep. Same here.....

Also, check ALL YOUR GROUNDS. not just the battery. They can wreck havoc on a dodge. I had a bad Ground in my harness causing my trans torque converter to lock in and out. Also fried to computers.

trust me
12-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Hook a battery tester up and see what the voltage is under load. That will tell the tale.

AteUp
12-09-2011, 12:39 AM
did you try putting the battery in the camry? It may just be that a cable wasn't making good contact. Negative cables are notorious for causing problems like you posted.

Manhattan
12-09-2011, 04:45 AM
I'm not trying to be smart A here but the battery sounds like the culprit. Even though it is showing the correct voltage it may not have enough amperage,also called "Cold Cranking Amps"....Let us know what what you find...Any of us could have that kind of problem

predator1
12-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Voltage tested good on the battery. But when I put a load tester on it, it would fall flat. Battery was shot.

B.G.O. of Kentucky
12-09-2011, 05:45 PM
I was going to suggest taking the Dodge logo's off :):):) Glad you got it figured out! My truck did the exact same thing last winter, battery tested good, but when you put a load to it, it crapped out!

Iceman35
12-10-2011, 06:07 PM
How old was the battery? Recently had this happen in my Dodge PU. Would turn the key and nothin. No lights, no clik nothing. As it turns out, that battery was almost 8 years old and the negative terminal had lost enough material it wasn't always making good contact with the ring type cable terminal. It was either replace the battery or do the redneck thing and put a couple of pennys in there as shims. Figured 8 years I got my moneys worth out of that battery.