PDA

View Full Version : Hand foot and mouth disease

carnivore
11-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Any of y'alls kids ever get this virus?
My 3.5 yr old daughter is covered in a rash with blisters to boot.
It looks like she wiped her mouth, joints, nose, buttcrack, hands, and feet down with a fist full of poison ivy. Hers is way worse than pics I'm seeing online. She's miserable. Theres no cure or treatment. Doc says blisters should go away in a week or two and there is nothing to do but let it run its coarse. I hate seeing her so bad off.
If your kids have had it do you got any ideas on what to put on her skin to soothe it? I'm rolling with a full body coat of desatin for now but its a mess and don't seem to be doing much good.

KY River Rat
11-26-2011, 10:17 PM
My 29 year old cousin had it a month or so ago. She said it was the most miserable she has ever been. Doctor told her the same thing, just let it run it's course.
He told her it was going around in the schools and that mostly younger kids are getting it.
It's got to be tough with a 3.5 year old.

AteUp
11-26-2011, 10:22 PM
OMG I can't even imagine what it would be like if my 3.5 yr old son had it.

00noturkey
11-27-2011, 12:22 AM
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1132264-overview

we put witch-hazel on poison ivy before. it has some alcohol in it though. you might see how it works, before trying it. web md, or one of those other sites might help. i think its an astringent. i found this at link at emedicine, there ain't much out there on the web. they do say you can get creams and ointments form the doctor for the skin, and mouthwash and such. //Ed

scsims
11-27-2011, 07:28 AM
My wife is a Nurse Practitioner and says the same that it is viral. Not a lot you can do for viral infections. However, if she is having a hard time with swallowing due to the sores in her throat there is a prescription that the doctor can prescribe called "magic mouthwash". It consists of a variety of ingredients that helps to numb the throat providing some relief. Otherwise just know that in time it will improve. Hope this helps.....

Xcal1ber
11-27-2011, 07:32 AM
I hate to hear that man. I pray for a quick recovery.

Art
11-27-2011, 07:39 AM
We thought our son may have been starting to get it last week. He developed a rash around his ankle, but so far it hasn't spread or got any worst. I don't really know anything about it, but it sounds awful.

buckfever
11-27-2011, 12:40 PM
I caught Fifth's Disease in 2002 from my cousin's son, and boy, do I ever have story to go with it. It involves potential castration, and another woman groping me while I was almost completely naked, while my wife (who knew what was happening) waited in the adjoining room. . . .but you guys don't wanna hear that story, so I'll just keep my mouth shut. :)

pentail
11-27-2011, 12:54 PM
I caught Fifth's Disease in 2002 from my cousin's son, and boy, do I ever have story to go with it. It involves potential castration, and another woman groping me while I was almost completely naked, while my wife (who knew what was happening) waited in the adjoining room. . . .but you guys don't wanna hear that story, so I'll just keep my mouth shut. :)

You are correct sir. I do not want to hear of anything that might end in castration, regardless of how many women are involved

Art
11-27-2011, 01:08 PM

You just thought that was a woman.

dxtsniper
11-27-2011, 04:19 PM
My 13yr old daughter had it when she was 2.5. She got it along with every other cold, flu, and bug known to man at daycare. I don't remember what we did for her but it does go away rather quickly. Prayers sent for your little one.

CSS archer
11-27-2011, 05:50 PM
My daughter had it at a year old, I caught it and it was the most excruciating pain I've ever endured. My hands and feet felt like I was being burnt with a match. all the skin on my hands and feet eventually came off where the blisters were, and my big toenails are still coming off..

It was not nearly as painful for her, just itchy, as I supposed because her skin was more flexible....

Spring Tom
11-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Just caught this from my kids. First two days I thought I had the flu- body aches, fever.

Next came the spots on the hands, feet and around my mouth. THEN came the flames!!!!!!!!

My mouth, tongue, throat hurt so bad I could barely eat ice cream. Beer went down okay so what the heck. I had to use a bottle opener (almost got my man card revoked for doing that), but I was useless.

One day I needed to go to the store for groceries (read beer here) and I couldn't use my key to lock the house my hands hurt so bad.

The blisters on my feet prevented me from going for a walk. My hands were useless as it was just like having a severe burn all over my hands.

My throat got better so that I could eat ice cream and milk shakes.

All in all I gained 10 pounds right before the holidays began.