PDA

View Full Version : Harlan County (alleged) mtn. lion on trail cam

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
09-22-2011, 08:07 AM
There is a guy posting trail cam pics of a mountain lion on facebook from Harlan County.

I am at school right now and will be for the rest of the day, the buddy who called is at work til 4ish. I have no way of getting the pics yet, but I'm working on it.

This could be nothing more then a well circulated internet pic, but the reason for starting the thread was to get the pictures up in the meantime so we could decide. Ky is a small state, anyone on here friends with a hunter from Harlan Co, initialed J.P. He's the one posting the trial cam pics. I've added him so hopefully I will get the shots pretty soon. If nothing else, when my buddy gets off work at 4, I will have him email them to me so I can get them up. If there weren't actual pics to come, I would have never started this thread.

In the meantime, round 257 of the mountain lion debate!

Brit's and Birds
09-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Bill responds in 3...2...1

Grant
09-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Oddly enough there is one posted I just saw that claims to be from Caldwell County area...my guess its the same pic...

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
09-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Oddly enough there is one posted I just saw that claims to be from Caldwell County area...my guess its the same pic...

The friend that called said the mountain lion is walking down an old road bed in the pic, sound familiar?

Grant
09-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Here ya go

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
09-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Doesn't sound like the same pic Grant. Via text, buddy said there is no salt block in the pic. Just a cat walking down a four-wheeler path. We'll see.

buzzbaiter83
09-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Here ya go

Not the pic I'm seeing here in Harlan on Facebook. It's a night time pic.

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
09-22-2011, 09:46 AM
post them up. If they were put out on facebook no problem bringing them here.

slickhead slayer
09-22-2011, 12:02 PM
We had one posted here last year that was from EKY. Everybody oohed and awwed over it, until Buckfever found the pic on the internet, and it was from Colorado. The guy posting it here, swore his buddy got it behind his house in Letcher Co.

SEK-Hunter
09-22-2011, 12:14 PM
....Can't wait to see pics??????

jamesw
09-22-2011, 12:27 PM
I have a buddy who lives 10 mins from harlan that swears he saw not just one, but two. I pick on him about it sometimes and he gets mad as chit. Lets see the pics

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
09-22-2011, 12:49 PM
The picture buzz is referring to is at night. The trail cam pic my buddy saw was a cat on a four wheeler trail during the day. I've added both parties who have posted it on Facebook. Just waiting, hopefully we can discount it.

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
09-22-2011, 04:59 PM

Anybody seen this before?

Regulator623
09-22-2011, 06:50 PM
That a good picture..no denying that one. And the terrain matches the location...We'll just have to wait and see.

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
09-22-2011, 07:04 PM
That a good picture..no denying that one. And the terrain matches the location...We'll just have to wait and see.

Yea, location looks good, the facebook caption said on the cumberland river side of pine mountain (not black mountain as I mentioned earlier.) I don't know if this is in Harlan or Bell to be exact but somewhere along pine mountain.

CHL
09-22-2011, 07:05 PM

Well absolutely...that has to be Harlan County! I mean, your buddy "said" that's where it came from, so it just has to be true. Right???

I can't believe Bill hasn't chimed in yet.

Sialia67
09-22-2011, 07:46 PM
The next step is for your buddy to invite the private lands biologist out to verify the location. He would probably look for tracks too. J.J. Baker is the biologist and his number is 606-435-6229.

_Hawk_Eye_
09-22-2011, 07:49 PM
why is there so much confusion over this?

philipfleek
09-22-2011, 07:51 PM
why is there so much confusion over this?

Please explain?

philipfleek
09-22-2011, 07:53 PM

Anybody seen this before?

can you get us the date and time the pic was taken?

_Hawk_Eye_
09-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Have people faked pictures of these in the past? It seems only a matter of time until Mt. Lion is re established in Ky.

philipfleek
09-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Have people faked pictures of these in the past? It seems only a matter of time until Mt. Lion is re established in Ky.

they all come from out west

quackrstackr
09-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Have people faked pictures of these in the past?

Are you new to internet forums? These things make the rounds more often than Philip eats bacon. That photo is liable to be "verified" in all 50 states and Puerto Rico by the weekend.

WhiteRubi
09-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Well absolutely...that has to be Harlan County! I mean, your buddy "said" that's where it came from, so it just has to be true. Right???

I can't believe Bill hasn't chimed in yet.

Our "little Buddy" has said his girlfriend said it was on her property. My wife had the picture from a facebook friend earlier this week...claiming Harlan County. I'll believe it when I see somebody I know standing in the same road bed. Otherwise my BS flag is flying and I'm waving the HELL out of it.

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
09-22-2011, 08:27 PM
can you get us the date and time the pic was taken?

Hey phil, I'm trying to do the back tracking now. I do not personally know the person who posted the pic (just his name). My friend called me to say that someone from Harlan who he is facebook friends with was posting trail cam pics of a mountain lion he got pictures of on pine mountain. My friend saved the pic and emailed it to me. I have however, sent the person posting the pictures a message asking for some back ground info. I realize these things are a wash 99% of the time, Im just trying to get to the bottom of it soon. Thought getting the pic posted would be a good first step in trying to disclaim. If I get a response to my message I will post and if anything sounds reliable -----> Step 2.

trust me
09-22-2011, 08:31 PM
At least we're looking at mtn lions now, instead of Morris the Cat.

As above, when I see another picture from the same trail cam in the same location of some guy with a KentuckyHunting.net shirt on, I'll be unconvinced. Those photos could have been ripped off an Oregon website for all we know.

KYDEERCHASR
09-22-2011, 08:40 PM
I do believe they are here. I know 4 people that say they have seen them. I know that three of these people are not liars.

I know there is a lot of trail cams out, but i have to believe these guys. I have talked to them numerous times about this and believe their stories. Actually was talking to one tonight after reading this post earlier. He told me the same story he told me 10 years ago and he was very serious about it.

I know people see bobcats all the time. And also have them on camera, but i have been hunting for 40 years and just saw my first one in person last week. Just saying i think ther are a few here.

Just my opinion

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
09-22-2011, 08:44 PM
At least we're looking at mtn lions now, instead of Morris the Cat.

As above, when I see another picture from the same trail cam in the same location of some guy with a KentuckyHunting.net shirt on, I'll be unconvinced. Those photos could have been ripped off an Oregon website for all we know.

Totally agree.

The person who posted the picture gave me the name/and location of the trail cam owner who got the picture. The trail cam owner is from Harlan and now resides near Williamsburg KY. For the gentlemans sake I will not post his name on here but you can bet your a$$ I won't stop until I get the story from him myself. (which will include, time, date, location, and any way he can verify the trail cams location by showing another picture.)

WhiteRubi
09-22-2011, 08:47 PM
I do believe they are here. I know 4 people that say they have seen them. I know that three of these people are not liars.

Hell, I know a BUNCH of people that "have seen them". Unfortunately none of them have pics of them or any real evidence.

Again, I just ain't buying it. Are there mountain lions in KY? Probably somewhere between 1-5 if I had to guess and ALL of those are released pets. As such, they probably won't last longer than a few months...tops. Will wild mountain lions be in KY in my lifetime? Probably, but it will be very few.

KYDEERCHASR
09-22-2011, 09:00 PM
You are right. None of the ones i know have pics or anything other than their stories. Its just that knowing these people i, in my opiion dont think they would lie or are lying to me.

CRFmxracer
09-22-2011, 09:00 PM
personally the backround in that picture looks like someplace out west with all those pines....

CHL
09-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Our "little Buddy" has said his girlfriend said it was on her property. My wife had the picture from a facebook friend earlier this week...claiming Harlan County. I'll believe it when I see somebody I know standing in the same road bed. Otherwise my BS flag is flying and I'm waving the HELL out of it.

That's classic man!!! Gonna make Bill mad though. :D

CRFmxracer
09-22-2011, 09:12 PM
You are right. None of the ones i know have pics or anything other than their stories. Its just that knowing these people i, in my opiion dont think they would lie or are lying to me.
these people you're talking about didnt see em in marion county did they?

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
09-22-2011, 09:13 PM
personally the backround in that picture looks like someplace out west with all those pines....

While you could very well be right, many from eky can attest, that pic doesn't rule out this area either. It's called pine mountain for a reason, and many areas look just like the pic. What I am interested in is the symbol/stamp up in the left hand corner of the picture. Looks odd to me and I can't tell what it is. (maybe a snake?)

buckfever
09-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Hey phil, I'm trying to do the back tracking now. I do not personally know the person who posted the pic (just his name). My friend called me to say that someone from Harlan who he is facebook friends with was posting trail cam pics of a mountain lion he got pictures of on pine mountain. My friend saved the pic and emailed it to me. I have however, sent the person posting the pictures a message asking for some back ground info. I realize these things are a wash 99% of the time, Im just trying to get to the bottom of it soon. Thought getting the pic posted would be a good first step in trying to disclaim. If I get a response to my message I will post and if anything sounds reliable -----> Step 2.

You'll never be able to locate him now. Billprox already got to him and his him sequestered under armed guard down at some motel outside of Dollywood, USA.

predator1
09-22-2011, 10:00 PM
While you could very well be right, many from eky can attest, that pic doesn't rule out this area either. It's called pine mountain for a reason, and many areas look just like the pic. What I am interested in is the symbol/stamp up in the left hand corner of the picture. Looks odd to me and I can't tell what it is. (maybe a snake?)It says "Buckeye Cam" Those are high dollar trailcams!!

KYDEERCHASR
09-22-2011, 10:03 PM
No.... They were all in nelson county.

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
09-22-2011, 10:52 PM
You'll never be able to locate him now. Billprox already got to him and his him sequestered under armed guard down at some motel outside of Dollywood, USA.

Lmao, Nahhh Bill is probably too busy holed up somewhere dealing with a mountain lion boner after seeing that trailcam pic.

Glad you've joined the fray BF, if anyone is going to conclude this thread with a matching 'new Mexico cougar trail came pic' I suspect it will be you. I've done a little Google image discovery but haven't found anything yet.

slickhead slayer
09-22-2011, 11:16 PM
No.... They were all in nelson county.

Let me guess, down around Raywick.

slickhead slayer
09-22-2011, 11:26 PM
While you could very well be right, many from eky can attest, that pic doesn't rule out this area either. It's called pine mountain for a reason, and many areas look just like the pic. What I am interested in is the symbol/stamp up in the left hand corner of the picture. Looks odd to me and I can't tell what it is. (maybe a snake?)

Buckeye cams are completely wireless. They send the picture to your computer at home. Pretty expensive I understand. I would find out if this guy has a buckeye cam first. Pretty rare. Ask him to send you more pics from it.

new guy
09-22-2011, 11:32 PM
thats the biggest mountain lion i have ever seen. the only thing that doesnt add up to me is someone from harlan county owning a 500 dollar camera

slickhead slayer
09-22-2011, 11:42 PM
On line they looked like they were going from $650-$2,000. The US Border Patrol uses them

new guy
09-22-2011, 11:48 PM
On line they looked like they were going from $650-$2,000. The US Border Patrol uses them

that makes it more unbelievable. never know though. all i do know is that is a big cat

thunderchicken09
09-23-2011, 12:48 AM
I was in pigeon forge for the rod run last weekend and stayed with my friend and his parents in one of those cabin rentals. They swear up and down a "panther" lol came up to the deck of a cabin they rented last year. I didn't want to call them out on it, but i have no idea what to think. It was my friends mom telling me this she says it came within 30yds of where they were. I honestly dont believe it, but i dont know why she would be lying about it either.

KYDEERCHASR
09-23-2011, 04:54 AM
Not raywick either.
One was around the new hope area. One was around glennings. {not real sure. This could be larue co.}
the other 2 were in nelson county off 245 close to the bullitt county line. These 2 were saw in the same place by people that dont even know each other.

Like i said earlier. One of the bullitt county line sightings was by a guy that im not sure of. Just think is sounds funny they were seen in the same place by people that dont even know each other. The other 3 are people that i just dont think would lie about anything. I know when they tell the story they are serious.

CSS archer
09-23-2011, 05:11 AM
That pic is indeed a cougar, however the trees look like spruce not the pines of eastern KY. I'll believe it when someone verifies the site and muddy cougar prints in the road...

westkybanded
09-23-2011, 06:44 AM
Anybody hit those pics with tineye? I would, but I'm on the Droid.

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
09-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Well, at one point this looked like a pretty juicy mountain lion report. Unfortunately this story has run it's course. I gave it hell and this is what turned up.

http://www.condonwildlifecams.com/portal/image_viewer.php?id=4&dt=20100622104806

Good observation Joe.

buckfever
09-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Well, at one point this looked like a pretty juicy mountain lion report. Unfortunately this story has run it's course. I gave it hell and this is what turned up.

http://www.condonwildlifecams.com/portal/image_viewer.php?id=4&dt=20100622104806

Good observation Joe.

Regardless of where the picture was taken, THAT is one beautiful animal.

trust me
09-23-2011, 09:27 AM
And another perfectly good "cougar in Kentucky" thread goes down in flames. Too bad. Bill never showed up or this one could have gone on for weeks.

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
09-23-2011, 10:43 AM
And another perfectly good "cougar in Kentucky" thread goes down in flames. Too bad. Bill never showed up or this one could have gone on for weeks.

"Mountain Lions live in the forest (www.cougarfund.org) --> there are over 398,000 acres of forest habitat in E.KY (www.kygeo.net) -- Therefore, mountain lions must be living in the forested habitat of EKY."

-- Dr. William F. Prox's infallible logic.

ptbrauch
09-23-2011, 11:46 AM
And don't forget, they're in Montana, which is in the same country AND touches other states that touch other states that touch Kentucky. So they must be here.

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
09-23-2011, 02:43 PM
What really pisses me off. After seeing the pic on the website I linked (a western us group), I finally got in touch with the guy posting the picture. I asked him some questions about where he got the trial cam pic etc, and he gives me the name of some Holler in Harlan County. What a pitiful sack of deceptive, self-fabricating dung.

Regulator623
09-23-2011, 04:59 PM
We were needing some excitement anyways...we'll just have to wait until the next sighting...

slickhead slayer
09-23-2011, 05:21 PM
What really pisses me off. After seeing the pic on the website I linked (a western us group), I finally got in touch with the guy posting the picture. I asked him some questions about where he got the trial cam pic etc, and he gives me the name of some Holler in Harlan County. What a pitiful sack of deceptive, self-fabricating dung.

I hope you called him out on facebook, for all his friends to see.

slickhead slayer
09-23-2011, 05:26 PM
I haven't posted on cougar topics in awhile, because I think it's so ridiculous. But over the years here on Ky hunting, there have been literally thousands of people who say they saw them, or know people that saw them.

In Flor, they have rougly 100 cougars left. Yet every single year they lose dozens of cougars to collisions with cars. 15 one year, 17 the next. Every single year they lose more than a dozen cougars. Yet they only have 100 or so cougars left.

Yet you talk about how many people in Ky have seen them. Hell one guy on this thread knows 4 different people, just himself. The fact is, it's just impossible. We know that when cougars exist, even very, very, very small numbers of cougars, we have car collisions, trail cam pics, video, harvested animals, etc, etc. And LOTS and LOTS of them. Hell, there were 3 different cougars in Flor hit by cars in 3 consecutive days. Yet here in Ky, we don't have ONE SINGLE instance of ANY of these. Not a one. No car collisions, no harvested animals, no trail cam pics, no videos. Not sure how anyone can think they are here when we can't get a single piece of evidence.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010...-year-cars.php (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/01/17-percent-florida-panthers-killed-last-year-cars.php)

EKY.MTN.HUNTER
09-23-2011, 06:03 PM
You know I agree with you Slick, we were singing the exact same tune on Catspause keeping people at bay. I wish folks would truly read and understand your post. Moreover, I wish people would understand the difference between having a few scraggler/escapee's as compared to having a natural, self reproducing population. It takes a threshold population to successfully self sustain and along with that comes the obvious indicators (road kills, carcass kills, tracks, scat, photos and hunter kills, etc).

I got excited about this picture because I truly do believe we have a handful of non-native (i.e, south american dna) cats running around in this state and anytime I hear of any potential 'hard' evidence I just always assume that's the culprit. We know one was killed on the road in Floyd county and I'm sure there are a few others floating around. I believe Ole' western Kentucky will be the landing pad for the first western US migrator and he won't make it long without being seen/reported/shot, etc.

slickhead slayer
09-23-2011, 07:48 PM
I agree. Eventually there will be a male cougar roam in to WKy. He will be well photographed, documented and eventually killed.

Tim T
09-23-2011, 08:42 PM
"Mountain Lions live in the forest (www.cougarfund.org) --> there are over 398,000 acres of forest habitat in E.KY (www.kygeo.net) -- Therefore, mountain lions must be living in the forested habitat of EKY."

-- Dr. William F. Prox's infallible logic.

LMAO that was classic, well played!

CSS archer
09-23-2011, 09:12 PM
What has always intrigued me about KY cougars is that they maintained their supposed existance in areas of KY that did not have deer. I know escaped pets have been doumented in KY, we very possibly will have wandering males as well, but we're almost a thousand miles from the nearest viable population where females could expand their range from. Female cougars do not make long journeys to establish territories, much like female bears don't.

A cougar will kill and eat a deer a week, KY is 95% privately owned, if we had them, we'd for sure have evidence.

buckfever
09-24-2011, 11:39 AM
A cougar will kill and eat a deer a week, KY is 95% privately owned, if we had them, we'd for sure have evidence.

Hmmm. . . that's about 52 deer per year.

CSS, you've got some pull as KDFWR, think you can swing having the black helicopter drop one off on our farm?

JLD3173
09-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Saw this today.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1586153

slickhead slayer
09-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Saw this today.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1586153

What a pansy that guy is. For those that can't see it now, since it's been yanked. A regular poster over there posted up the same picture. Said he was certain it was real, said he walks down that trail every time he hunts, blah,blah. Then somebody from here tells him its from out west, and he starts backtracking.
Then once he is shown the picture, he says that he still knows they are out there, because his brother got attacked by a black panther while turkey hunting. He is then informed that black cats only come in leopords and jaguars. He also stated that EKy has cougars because KYDFW is releasing them to control the elk herd.
Boom, the thread is gone. Instead of manning up and taking his medicine, he cries to the mods apparently and gets it pulled. I hate websites that pull threads.

KYT
09-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Saw something on the news a few days ago that a cougar was confirmed killed in Connecticut, of all places. They say it travelled 1600 miles to get there from out west then around the Great Lakes.
Dang, Ky. has better eats for those cats than Connecticut. But it was probably just one of those fluke animals that takes off on a long roaming spree like that moose about 15 yrs ago that came down from up north and wound up in Missouri or Kansas.

Strutter
09-25-2011, 05:00 PM
"A cougar will kill and eat a deer a week, KY is 95% privately owned, if we had them, we'd for sure have evidence."

They must live on my farm, or did anyway. They've moved on by now since they ate all the deer.

CSS archer
09-25-2011, 06:05 PM
"A cougar will kill and eat a deer a week, KY is 95% privately owned, if we had them, we'd for sure have evidence."

They must live on my farm, or did anyway. They've moved on by now since they ate all the deer.

now ya know..... the rest of the story....
Seriously a deer a week, cached, covered in leaves until eaten, and no one finds them and places trailcams on them.... ?

HUNTINGMAN
09-25-2011, 07:03 PM
I for one can say that I have seen cougars here in mercer county. I know that no one will beleive me but i had multiple sightings just today alone. Some were wearing flip flops and shorts and others were wearing tight jeans,the warm weather evidently brought them out of there seclusion today.

fat daddy
09-26-2011, 07:15 PM
I know it makes everyone laugh, and I can't explain, but I know there are some big cats here in EKY. I knew a few days ago that this picture was a hoax. The lion was very large, which only would come from a place with alot to eat, and thats not harlan county. I have lived here all my life, and I believe alot of stories I hear because I have seen for my self. The thing that throws me for the biggest loop is how someone expects me to believe you can leave a trail cam that close to a road in harlan county, some check drawer would come by on their government issued fourwheeler and get that baby in a hurry. Seriously, I ain't claiming to be covered up in mt. lions, but I have seen them and ofcourse I have no proof.

CHL
09-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I know it makes everyone laugh, and I can't explain, but I know there are some big cats here in EKY. I knew a few days ago that this picture was a hoax. The lion was very large, which only would come from a place with alot to eat, and thats not harlan county. I have lived here all my life, and I believe alot of stories I hear because I have seen for my self. The thing that throws me for the biggest loop is how someone expects me to believe you can leave a trail cam that close to a road in harlan county, some check drawer would come by on their government issued fourwheeler and get that baby in a hurry. Seriously, I ain't claiming to be covered up in mt. lions, but I have seen them and ofcourse I have no proof.

In the famous words of the the Sunday NFL Countdown guys..."C'mon man!"

SEK-Hunter
09-28-2011, 12:19 PM

Agree with you on the camera's being stolen by the gov't issued atv. You said that you have seen 'them'. You sayin' you've seen more than one Mt. Lion here in EKY?

1wildcatfan
09-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Agree with you on the camera's being stolen by the gov't issued atv. You said that you have seen 'them'. You sayin' you've seen more than one Mt. Lion here in EKY?

i think the difference in a single and multiple is depending on how much shine has been consumed.

skin_dog1
09-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Yet you talk about how many people in Ky have seen them. Hell one guy on this thread knows 4 different people, just himself.
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010...-year-cars.php (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/01/17-percent-florida-panthers-killed-last-year-cars.php)

Heck, I don't think I know a farmer anywhere that has NOT seen one! That holds true pretty mcuh everywhere I've ever been. People want them to exist even when they don't! I was eating lunch one day in a local cafe when out of no where this old man starts telling us about all the sheep that had been killed and only half eaten by a local cougar. He didn't want anyone to come kill it so he was not gonna report it...

predator1
09-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Heck, I don't think I know a farmer anywhere that has NOT seen one! That holds true pretty mcuh everywhere I've ever been. People want them to exist even when they don't! I was eating lunch one day in a local cafe when out of no where this old man starts telling us about all the sheep that had been killed and only half eaten by a local cougar. He didn't want anyone to come kill it so he was not gonna report it...You should've asked for a swig from his bottle. Then maybe he would've taken you to see all the carnage!! LOL

Waterturkey
09-30-2011, 01:02 PM
OK, so here’s a long winded story that causes me not to immediately discount cougar sighting in KY….My home sits in a triangle with two other homes with a 1-acre pond in the middle. The dam backs up to a grown-up area leading down to a larger creek system. A few years back one of my neighbors heard a god-awful, repeating “scream” late one night coming from what sounded like the wooded area behind the dam. He called my neighbor (I was out of town of course) and both heard it. They both concluded it had to be some sort of animal. One of my neighbors went straight back inside and locked the door! The other grabbed a pistol and flashlight, but chickened out half way there. He said it stopped not long afterward. The next day, the neighbor that locked his door was driving down the road and swears had a cougar leap across the road right in front of his car and into another grown-up mess disappearing….that would be about 200yds as the crow flies from our dam. He shortly told a couple of close friends b/c he knew no one else would believe him. Those guys told him if he was sure, then to call someone from “the State”. He said it took a day or two before he called, b/c he didn’t want to come off as a lunatic. He finally called up someone….he said he was surprised that they took him seriously; they wanted him to get the address of the property where he saw “the cat”. So he went back to where he had the sighting and looked for a house number of a property very nearby. I’m not sure if he got out of his car or what, but somehow the owner of the property saw him there and started asking questions. He said “Well, you’re not going to believe me, but….” and told him why he was there. The property owner told him to hold on a minute, and went into his house with the door left open. My neighbor said that in a few seconds he heard this guy’s wife screaming …”I told you I saw it! You wouldn’t believe me, but you believe some guy you’ve never met in our yard?!?”….or something to that affect. So apparently she saw it too. While I probably wouldn’t believe it if one of you guys told this story, I have no reason to not believe it didn’t happen exactly as being told by both my neighbors. For all I know it was a giant house cat, the same cat killed in Connecticut, or a Sasquatch/Yeti hybrid, but I’m sure I wasn’t told a lie.

sjj1856
10-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Eastern KY Wampus Cat!! Pretty common in Harlan and surrounding counties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wampus_cat

ptbrauch
10-02-2011, 10:13 AM
I wonder with just a fleeting glance of one running off into the woods, how many people could tell the difference between a cougar, a bobcat, and a coyote.

I'd be willing to guess it'd be like the blind men and the elephant--it all depends on which part was seen.

archeratarch
10-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Maybe you would be right IF it was a glance or just a part of the animal.

But if it was in full view, there's no way to confuse a bobcat with a cougar(or any other of the large cats).

Coyotes aren't even relevant in shape or color to be in the mix.

Mepperson
10-02-2011, 11:44 AM
I just had a friend send me this from her phone......don't know the story except she said someone had taken the pic from a treestand and supposedly around the Princeton area. I think she said he had also posted it on his Facebook page. I told her I was skeptical and she said that others including her neighbor had claimed to see it/one. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with big cats in KY, just passing along info for those that are keeping records.....

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u247/mike_epperson/a5f10024.jpg

KY_Fried
10-04-2011, 12:24 PM
I 100% believe that there are mountain lions roaming around KY. Maybe just a handful, and maybe they're escaped pets or something along those lines, and maybe not. I still believe they're out there. That said, I think it's funny how every single pic of a lion that's supposed to be taken in KY is eventually proven to be from another state sooner or later. Word of advice, if you can't 100% prove that your pic is from KY, don't waste our time posting it on here. I don't care what your brothers friend's uncle's girlfriend's neighbor's friend says, if you can't prove it, don't be surprised if you get ripped to pieces for posting BS.

120+
10-04-2011, 03:04 PM
I for one can say that I have seen cougars here in mercer county. I know that no one will beleive me but i had multiple sightings just today alone. Some were wearing flip flops and shorts and others were wearing tight jeans,the warm weather evidently brought them out of there seclusion today.

You say that in jest but those beautiful creatures are very dangerous. We've got a small vicious pride of them preying around our neighborhood. They act like they just want to hitch a harmless ride in exchange for sex yet you'll notice they always travel in pairs. Both will want to crowd into the front seat even if the back is completely empty. Next thing you know you've dropped them off and your wallet is gone.
It's really getting bad. I've lost 4 wallets just this week!

jamesw
10-05-2011, 12:16 PM
LOL, I have had three different people from where I work say that they know the person that got this pic. The first one said it was in Knott co right beside his house. The second one said it was his kin folk that got that pic in flat gap. and the third one said his kin folk took the pic beside his house. lol thats alot of people taking the same pic.

reivertom
10-05-2011, 01:02 PM

I know there is a lot of trail cams out, but i have to believe these guys. I have talked to them numerous times about this and believe their stories. Actually was talking to one tonight after reading this post earlier. He told me the same story he told me 10 years ago and he was very serious about it.

I know people see bobcats all the time. And also have them on camera, but i have been hunting for 40 years and just saw my first one in person last week. Just saying i think ther are a few here.

Just my opinion

Give it up.......to some on here ALL your friends and the COs you know are drunk, drugged or liars if they say they saw one.

wilkersonhunter
10-11-2011, 08:55 AM
about 2 or 3 years ago there was a picture in the greensburg local newspaper where someone cought one on their trail camera in green co.

KY Colonel
10-12-2011, 11:23 AM
this also went around letcher co, buddy found the same pic on the net for a trail cam pic. So it is fake.