PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 70 Opinions

JDMiller
05-14-2011, 10:26 PM
For the last several months I've been seriously considering buying one of the new Winchester Model 70's chambered in 30-06. No real specific reason other than I've always wanted one and believe this would be one of those guns that I could pass down some day. Looking at their "sporter" model...just for the classic appeal but giving some consideration to the "featherweight".

My caliber choice is based on the fact I've never owned a 30-06...broad selection of ammo & bullet weights....and give me a little more gun on critters that my 270 would be on the minimum for.

I also know the pre-64's are the most desirable but from what I've read the new ones are being produced by FN in Columbia SC...which is now the parent company of US Repeating Arms & Browning. Accordingly their models produced are said to be as close as you can get to the pre-64 model in a new gun.

If any of ya'll happen to own one of the newer production models...or even know of the good or bad...I would'nt mind any input at all. I'm in no rush to buy & just trying to gather a little more info before I do.

Sporter
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535108

Featherweight
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535109

DRS
05-15-2011, 06:06 AM
I've owned several Winchester M-70 over the years some Pre '64 in .22 Hornet, .308, and .30-06. Bought one of the newer "Featherweights" in 7 mm Mauser back in 1996, which after some rebedding, shot great! Also had a Winchester Model 770 in .270 which was also fine as the barrel was fully floated. I never paid anywhere $900 for the newer versions always paid < $500 for them. One pre'64 M-70 (The Super Grade Hornet) cost me around $1,200 back in 1978!! The other M-70's pre '64's cost $800 +. I paid $450 for the 7 mm "Post" '64 & it included open sight as well.

Art
05-15-2011, 08:32 AM
This won't help you a bit, but I have a Model 70 30-06 (Synthetic with Stainless and the ill-faded BOSS system) that I probably bought in 97-98. It has been a great rifle and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Model 70, because chances are they have only gotten better. I personally LOVE the 30-06 caliber and I have no desire to make any changes to what is my primary deer rifle.

headoftheholler
05-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Our local shop has a new featherweight, nice rife but not $1000 nice. Winchester is charging way too much for these rifles.

surfshark46
05-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Right now Winchester is offering $50 free ammo with each new rifle purchased

JDMiller
05-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I never paid anywhere $900 for the newer versions

Our local shop has a new featherweight, nice rife but not $1000 nice. Winchester is charging way too much for these rifles.

The MSRP's listed on the links or $1000 for the featherweight is no doubt inflated....especially your local gunshop if their charging more than the MSRP's. The only considerations for the higher cost would be if its a grade 2 or 3. Your getting into more money for the better quality wood...about it.

What I would buy... would be a grade 1 in either case....and not necessarily cheap even at that.

As example...Uncle Lees has a mod 70, sporter , grade-1 in 30-06...just what I'm looking for.... price quoted is $736....and I've really not looked very hard.

I have guns now with that much or more tied up....always considered certain guns were more of an investment...especially if its something you want.

DRS
05-16-2011, 06:18 AM
If "they" are asking $1,000 for a Winchester Model 70 rifle then I'd go buy a Remington 700, Ruger Model 77, or CZ 550 instead & forget the Winchester. Sounds like Winchester is charging more, due to the name "Winchester".

DRS
05-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Here's a link for all kinds of Model 70's for sell. Prices vary: http://www.gunsinternational.com/Winchester-Model-70-Post-64-Rifles.cfm?cat_id=394

JDMiller
05-16-2011, 11:45 AM
If "they" are asking $1,000 for a Winchester Model 70 rifle then I'd go buy a Remington 700, Ruger Model 77, or CZ 550 instead & forget the Winchester. Sounds like Winchester is charging more, due to the name "Winchester".

DRS.... thanks for the link....but overall... we've got a complete communication failure here.

The MSRP's listed on Winchesters site.....are manufactures suggested retail price....much like a sticker price on a car. In reallity no one is going to pay the MSRP's for any gun. Inturn.. if any gun shop is charging $1000 for this specific gun(sporter grade-1).... who in their right mind would pay more than than the MSRP.

As example....heres the MSRP's ($843) listed on Ruger's website for a standard model 77.... which was one of the guns you suggested.

http://ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeStandard/models.html

Again.....no one would expect to pay $843 for the Ruger 77....or $899 for the specific Winchester 70 in 30-06...I'm inquiring about. I already posted that Uncle Lees has the gun and has been quoted at $736....so where in the world are you getting that myself or anyone will be paying $1000 for this gun... brand spankin new. Even at that ... I've not really inquired much on prices and may do better elsewhere or be negotiable.

Also.... I own rifles by Remington , Ruger, Savage, Stevens, Marlin, NEF, T/C and even Winchester...just not a model 70. I've invested more than this and less than this pending what firearm I wanted. Heck ...I've had bows/archery equipment with as much or more invested. Otherwords... no dis-respect intended ...but what money that comes out of my pocket for any firearm is of no concern to anyone but myself.

So... my whole intent of posting this is not about the price ...or just wanting any rifle in 30-06.

Specifically....its about the FN manufactured Winchester 70...which is supposedly produced with the pre-64 action.... but welcome any performance opinions(good or bad) on the model 70 in general.

bruce
05-16-2011, 09:50 PM
I have 2 Model 70's a pre 64 Featherweight in 30/06 that was my grandfathers and a 300 ultra mag in a pre 64 action made in 2001-02. I like both and the new FN made model 70's have a much iimproved trigger, so I think you would be happy with one. By the way the old pre 64 with the older stock design plus being a featherweight kicks harder than ANY gun i have ever shot and I have shot all the ultra mags and 416 rem.

daking
05-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Win M 70's are wonderful rifles. Like a whole bunch of other rifles. The merits and downsides of every rifle is arguable.

That being said, a K for one seems like a lot. You can buy a SAKO, a Browning (the really nice old ones), a Mannlicher-Schoenauer, a Parker-Hale, A BSA and a whole lot of other really high-quality exotics for about the same dough. I like the odd, old stuff, but a 70 is a very nice rifle. I'd suggest that you pick your caliber first and then see what's available in the used market. I'm currently looking for a 7x57 in something that no one ever sees. That's me. I'm looking for something unusual and that Jack O'Connor might have owned. If you want a 70, find the best deal and buy it. Like any other centerfire rifle, it might take a wee bit of tinkering to get it to shoot like a tack driver (or not) and you'll be happy. Price is the rationing function

325WSM
05-18-2011, 12:19 PM

Along these same lines you can also get a Browning a-bolt white gold medallion for a couple hundred dollars more, which I also believe it to be a more superior gun to the mod. 70

DRS
05-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Along these same lines you can also get a Browning a-bolt white gold medallion for a couple hundred dollars more, which I also believe it to be a more superior gun to the mod. 70

I happen to own a Browning A-Bolt in .308. GREAT RIFLE!!

325WSM
05-18-2011, 08:22 PM
I hear ya. I bought a white gold medallion a few years ago in .325 wsm and it is an amazing piece of equipment.

duckslayer870
05-21-2011, 07:38 AM
I wouldnt hesitate to own a new model 70 or an old one ( pre 90s). That being said, I do own one in 30-06 that has a boss system that shoots MOA at 100 yrds with factory ammo and will leave you deaf in the process without some sort of something stuffed in your ears. It also has a trigger that snaps like a glass rod at some where in the nieghborhood of 3.5-4 lbs with absolutely no creep. Most of the rifles pre browning buyout had some issues with creepy horrid triggers and just overall quality issues. The blueing on mine is highly suspect and the meer thought of rain seems to make it develope tiny rust flecks Most of my other blued guns arent nearly this bad.

KRB_FTW
05-21-2011, 12:43 PM
If I was serious about the 30-06 I would get the Sporter rather than the Featherweight. Unless you're going to humping mountains the 8 oz. is better off soaking up recoil. I would love to have one of those in 25-06, but they don't make them in lefty any more.

300winmag
05-21-2011, 07:07 PM
I've got a Mod. 70 Featherweight in 300 Win Mag. It is BOSS equipped and stainless with the pre 64' action. That is a great action, and is very accurate. The BOSS will deafen you and I've never been able to afford to shoot enough ammo through it to "tune" it, however it does reduce the recoil of the magnum loads. The only issue I've had with the gun, is that the stainless pitted some early on. I suspect it was more me being young and thinking stainless needed little upkeep than inferior metal? I would buy another one.

riverboss
05-22-2011, 05:31 PM
JD let us know how it shoots when you get it im sure you will have a nice gun i hope it meets all of your expectations ive heard good things about the model 70s.

mike wilson
05-22-2011, 10:41 PM
You will be happy with both 30/06 and the model 70. The new guns have the controlled round feed, which they are famous for. For a long time they were push feed like the model 700,nothing wrong with it but look what mostly goes to africa.

zone1
05-25-2011, 04:37 PM
I have a 1998 Win Model 70 in 7MM. Coupled with the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip you can really reach out and touch them. Bought new at $500.00 and have had no issues with it.

JDMiller
05-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback.

I'm in no rush to get one right away but I'm leaning towards the "Sporter" more-so than the featherweight. Some of the comments on recoil ...and the classic lines just appeal a little more to me.

With the new ones being produced with pre-64 action...controlled feed...better trigger...feel like it will be a good investment to add to what I already have.

Again...many thanks for the comments.