PDA

View Full Version : Fort Knox area 79

huntmadd
11-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Has anyone hunted this area and could give us some tips about area. I have hunted seveal myself maybe I could help someone as well. Thank I will scout if its open I got first weakend got to love that.

huntmadd
11-04-2004, 01:41 AM
I have some friends hunting 19 and area 8 good area or not

Valley Station
11-04-2004, 09:08 AM
Huntmadd,
I don't deer hunt area 79 much, but, have shot a few turkey there.
The key to deer gun hunting in area 79, may be "What is the allowable access to the area." Area 79 is a boundry area with blacktop road, South Boundry Road, access on the "off post" side of closed gates.
Talk to your area guide and find out if you can drive "off post" and park on South Boundry Road during gun hunt. If so hunt area close to Area 81.
I shot a fair 8-pointer in hollow that divides 79 & 81 a few years back.
If not , all hunters will be jammed up at one end of area. Also, deer have a tendency to leave area to refuge area off post around Radcliff housing.
Good luck.

Chimpy
11-04-2004, 07:05 PM
I shot my first deer at Knox in area 79 in 1994. There were four of us and we killed 4 deer, our first successful hunt at Knox. S Boundary wasn't open, so we had one hell of a time dragging. We hunted the second weekend that year and saw a bunch of deer. The mp told us they have poaching problems in 79 because it's near the boundary. Good luck!

huntmadd
11-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Thanks for your tips guys.