PDA

View Full Version : morels/dry land fish

carpkabob
02-03-2011, 12:28 PM
anyone hunt for these?? i do every year and come up empty handed, except for one year they seemed to be every where.

bowcrazy3
02-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Lot's of us dry land fishermen on here. Always a few threads and pictures that run long. Just a little early.

kdfwr918`
02-03-2011, 05:51 PM
about the only thing I hunt for anymore.....love them

Cornmonkey
02-03-2011, 06:34 PM
I,am waiting for the bounty and can taste them thang,s now, lots of drool.

sheperd
02-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Saw a group of 30+ birds struttin' near Franklin this morning and got to thinking about fresh turkey and fried dry land fish. Mouth is still watering

carpkabob
02-05-2011, 01:07 AM
i know it is a little early but when do you usually find them time frame wise

redjackson
02-05-2011, 08:06 PM
I have found them a couples weeks before turkey season usually first of April. I usually find them near cedars and populars where there isnt alot of leaves on the ground. Anyone got any other good areas to find them?

Iceman35
02-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Wish I knew. I don't know if its the soil or what, but in NKY I've only ever found a few at a time and small at that. Not like the fields of them that were 6-8 inches tall that we used to find in Mich as a kid.

Cornmonkey
02-06-2011, 08:55 AM
On river banks some find them early around here because it's the first to green up and warm up. Give it a try around 1st April.

EAST KY ENCORE
02-13-2011, 07:54 PM
What do they look like ?? :)

Ginsenghunter
02-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Nice one East.

KYBH4Life
02-17-2011, 02:31 PM
I've given up on finding them. I've spent probably 4-5 days a year covering a 600 acre farm and never find more than 8-10. I found around 50-60 in one spot 12 yrs or so ago so I got hooked. But I've never found them like that again. The thicket where the gold mine was got blown/broke down in the ice storm many years ago and I've never found them there again. Now I'm lucky to find 3-4 in one spot.

gobbler roost
02-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Some years are much better than others , I usually find them turkey scouting and then during the season while hunting. 2009 was a very good year , we eat so many got tired of them . Its good to carry your morels in a mesh sack ,instead of plastic , this helps spread the spores . At least thats what I have been told

Triton
02-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Some years are much better than others , I usually find them turkey scouting and then during the season while hunting. 2009 was a very good year , we eat so many got tired of them . Its good to carry your morels in a mesh sack ,instead of plastic , this helps spread the spores . At least thats what I have been told

And plant the roots of the ones you pick as well. Again just always what i've heard. We've had several slow years over the past few. 7 or so years ago we found a couple thousand. Been lucky to find 300 a season over the past few.

jeff
02-25-2011, 02:14 PM
And plant the roots of the ones you pick as well. Again just always what i've heard. We've had several slow years over the past few. 7 or so years ago we found a couple thousand. Been lucky to find 300 a season over the past few.

How To Pick a Morel

Try to never"pull" a morel from the ground! You'll stand a chance of destroying the mycelium that way and you'll only get about 1/4 inch more of the stem anyway. Always "CUT" it off with a small knife (or pinch)! Pinching works well with black morels. (Pinch, cock the plant a bit, then pinch again. Works like a charm with black morels.)

Pinching DOES NOT work very well with white / yellow morels though. They are meatier and stronger. Best to cut these. If you pull a morel out with the roots you stand a chance of it never re-growing, as you have just disturbed the mycelium. Anyway, that is the part of the plant system under the ground that produces the actual morel and is very delicate and easy to kill. So please . . . . "CUT"--- NOT PULL!

http://www.michiganmorels.com/morels1.shtml

Triton
02-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Yea that's what I really ment I just chose the wrong words.

barney
02-25-2011, 07:20 PM
How To Pick a Morel

Try to never"pull" a morel from the ground! You'll stand a chance of destroying the mycelium that way and you'll only get about 1/4 inch more of the stem anyway. Always "CUT" it off with a small knife (or pinch)! Pinching works well with black morels. (Pinch, cock the plant a bit, then pinch again. Works like a charm with black morels.)

Pinching DOES NOT work very well with white / yellow morels though. They are meatier and stronger. Best to cut these. If you pull a morel out with the roots you stand a chance of it never re-growing, as you have just disturbed the mycelium. Anyway, that is the part of the plant system under the ground that produces the actual morel and is very delicate and easy to kill. So please . . . . "CUT"--- NOT PULL!

http://www.michiganmorels.com/morels1.shtml

I really find all that hard to believe. The edible mushroom is merely a fruiting body..picking one is no different than "deadheading" a flower..

KYBH4Life
02-25-2011, 10:27 PM
I really find all that hard to believe. The edible mushroom is merely a fruiting body..picking one is no different than "deadheading" a flower..

no...there is a difference. The mycelium is very delicate and it doesn't take much to harm the "system". When you find a bunch in one spot, it's mostly from 1 single mycelium system so if you hurt it one little spot, it could damage the whole area.

KyBoyInAk
02-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Here in Alaska people hit them hard in burn areas. The season is a little later in the year also as I'm sure you can imagine. I've found one up here while bear hunting. Puffballs do great however and are not hard to find at all. We picked a batch every day while camping last year off the Denali Highway. Ate them with fresh caught (the only way to eat them) Greyling cooked in foil over camp fire. Dang. Buttery.

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy271/yogiedlin/P7200080.jpg

Ginsenghunter
02-28-2011, 01:24 PM
If you don't like morels, go back North.

Xi Bowhunter
02-28-2011, 03:40 PM
I want to find some for my friend who has never tried them this year. This will only be my 2nd year really looking for them, but I have kept my eye out for them for years, finding a few here and there.

Last year I looked for them VERY hard several times, and walked a lot of miles, only to come up empty handed. I never found the first hickory-chicken last year.

BeThebush
03-04-2011, 06:38 PM
I know this guy who has never tried them either and would like to try them also lol

Xi Bowhunter
03-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Has anybody found any yet? I was thinking about taking a walk around the woods in Ohio County this Thursday to try and find some.

BetheBush, I think you might know the guy I am talking about.

Xi Bowhunter
03-14-2011, 07:19 AM
too early still. your not going to find any while its till snowing or frosting

A guy in Whitesburg KY posted on a morel forum that I visit the he found a few blacks on March 5th. I know it is early, but it never hurts to start looking. The weather where I live is suppossed to be 71* Thursday, (my day off this week) so I figured I would go out looking for morels, sheds, and snakes.

KyBoyInAk
03-16-2011, 06:48 AM
If you don't like morels, go back North.

What it my post made you think that I don't like morels? I love them. They're just hard to find up here. I brought up the puffballs because they are an often overlooked delicacy that is also available in Kentucky.

Thanks anyway for your input, it added tremendously to the thread. You should be a moderator. Keep up that kind of quality posting and I'm sure it will be in your future.

BigPete
03-19-2011, 09:41 PM
They are up!!! Found 40+ today, not really looking for them, just stumbled on them.

Killroy
03-20-2011, 06:49 AM
They are up!!! Found 40+ today, not really looking for them, just stumbled on them.

Well, that is enough for me. I have about 2 hours before church. I'm going to the woods!

deerhunter2
03-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Found about 30 yesterday most of them way too small to eat so i just left them. Another week of this weather and it should be perfect. This seems to be the earliest i've ever found them.

Cornmonkey
03-20-2011, 05:28 PM
I,am sitting here bleeding and tore all to crap, lol. I looked and looked and found zip, nada but my friend found 15 little dark ones under his pear tree but they come up every year there. I hunted hard today and the shroom's won, this round. Two leaf is up good but not bloomed yet it is much sweeter after the flower's come on and did get three of those shopping bag's full of cress green's. Found a bounty of them this year.

deerhunter2
03-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Went again today and found around 15 more.

KYBH4Life
03-21-2011, 06:24 AM
I gotta stop reading this thread. I keep telling myself I'm done with it, absolutely not going anymore. Then I couldn't stand it with the nice weather and all yesterday and went out for about an hour checking 2 spots....nothing. And then I have to get the look from the wife..."thought you said you weren't going anymore". I'm done...promise......maybe......

Cornmonkey
03-21-2011, 07:45 AM
It's been done to me so here it go's. Pic's or it did not happen LOL! Show those mighty fungi.

philipfleek
03-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Yum,,I love me some Polk. and yes, pics please!

Cornmonkey
03-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Polk is just nubbing outa the ground, i checked several stand's of it on the south hill sides where it always comes up first. I do know folk's are finding shrooms here now, i,am just not lucky early yet. They are finding the little dark ones now.

jblack1
03-23-2011, 03:18 PM
I went Monday evening, NADA, ZILCH, NOTHING,
they're not up in Pulaski, or atleast where I hunt em.

mudhole crossing
03-23-2011, 07:03 PM
hey, i found a grand total of one! man it was good 2! lol

Cornmonkey
03-23-2011, 08:26 PM
What! no sharing, ya know we would have made a drive for one bite. ;) I would be very happy to find one now.

mudhole crossing
03-27-2011, 03:03 PM
found 4 2day, but didnt pick em.

raktrakr
03-28-2011, 02:58 PM
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae331/Mikclo/IMG_0078.jpg

racsr
03-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Man I'm jealous! I look and look. I have only found a few in 4 years of searching. and they were only about 1 1/2" tall.

racsr
03-28-2011, 06:26 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Cornmonkey
03-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Dang my jaw is drooling, homer time that look's good.

grouser68
03-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Got out for the first time today, short trip just to see if there was anything up. Found 4 small blacks. Going tomorrow to a place I hope to pick up 40 or so......fingers crossed.

jblack1
04-03-2011, 06:46 PM
THEY'RE UP, I found 65-70 on Saturday.

westkybanded
04-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Found two yesterday. Et em out of spite.

grouser68
04-03-2011, 08:19 PM
29 yesterday, 15 the day before.That sun and heat from today should help.

Xi Bowhunter
04-04-2011, 08:46 AM
I've been out looking 3 times in the past two weeks and haven't found one yet. I might try to look on my lunch break this week if I am out in the county, and I will be looking on Thursday for sure. I am going to the only spot I know of that I know has morels around. Hopefully my luck will change.

carpkabob
04-04-2011, 07:24 PM
looked for a couple of hours and still nothing in breathitt co.

grouser68
04-05-2011, 06:39 PM
17 more today, 3-4 of those were a bit larger.

Cornmonkey
04-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Scored today at last only 22 about 2" high, just had my first bite this year, MAN those were good! Kept 6 of the larger ones and gave the rest to a friend who is very sick with a good mess of two leaf, he was tickled with it. The poke is coming up now very small the whole right side of the hollow was purple and green carpet of two leaf. Very purdy it was only had cell camera and ain't worth a crap.

carpkabob
04-06-2011, 08:53 PM
where did you find the morels at, woods, near a river or creek?

grouser68
04-06-2011, 09:35 PM
49 today, a little better every day.

grouser68
04-06-2011, 09:36 PM
where did you find the morels at, woods, near a river or creek?
All of the above! Right now finding them high under cliffs, a little later low next to creeks/rivers.

philipfleek
04-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Dale, how are you storing them? I have never ate or found any.

grouser68
04-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Dale, how are you storing them? I have never ate or found any.Storing these by eating them Phil! Later on when the big whites come on I will dehydrate and put in mason jars in the freezer.

grouser68
04-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Found 109 pretty nice blacks today.Last day for me for a couple weeks.

philipfleek
04-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Storing these by eating them Phil! Later on when the big whites come on I will dehydrate and put in mason jars in the freezer.

Was just wondering...i know some freeze them. point me in that direction and i'll hunt them for ya the next couple weeks while your out.:D

grouser68
04-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Was just wondering...i know some freeze them. point me in that direction and i'll hunt them for ya the next couple weeks while your out.:DI would have given them all to ya Phil.Still have some on saltwater in the fridge, and some cooked in there.I gave half to one uncle with cancer not doing too well and half to an aunt.It was a great day to be out there hunting them, thats where I had my fun. Been seeing more and more false morels this year for some reason. Tell ya what I get back here the 20th, I will get some of the nice big meaty white n yellow ones for ya. Going to head to Lake Erie a few days after I get home, will drop some off to ya.Or, after the 20th if you want to head down this way and hunt some with me your more than welcome.

I tried freezing them, they turned out kinda tough and rubbery, tasted like styrofoam. I dehydrate and put in mason jars and put in the freezer with no water.

philipfleek
04-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Sounds good to me man-just let me know.

spoonie08
04-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Went out and stumbled around today while I had some free time. Didnt find jack, besides some false morels. Hopefully it will get better to come with some predicted rain and warm temperatures. Im itchin to get that first batch

Cornmonkey
04-07-2011, 09:11 PM
I have a friend who had been hunting them for 30 years and did not know there was a look a like bad one. His saving grace is that they always slice them down the center before fixing and when he found a false one it looked so weird they threw them out thought they had went bad. Talk about blind luck.

Killroy
04-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Found 112 today!! I found 50% blacks, 25% whites, and 25% half-caps. The half caps were bigguns. The blacks were small to 2 inches. And most of the whites were 1 1/2 to 3 inches

fullstrut1
04-08-2011, 06:22 AM
We went yesterday afternoon, three of us, and found 133 blacks. All we found look like they had been up about a day.

Xi Bowhunter
04-08-2011, 07:28 AM
I looked for 3 hours yesterday, in the only place I have ever found them before, and again came up empty handed. I did see 4 deer, one big tom, and found an old striker someone left behind at the edge of a field. Although I didn't find any morels, it was one fine day to be outdoors. I'll be looking again this weekend.

Cornmonkey
04-08-2011, 08:10 AM
If not pouring the rain i,ll hit the woods this evening.

notimlmit
04-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Went yesterday to a honey hole and only found 30 small whites about 1 1/2-2'' tall. I believe next week the others will be coming up there.

BuckBuster
04-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Anyone have pictures to identify blacks & half caps? I only know of the white ones to eat.

Killroy
04-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Went back to the same place today with my grandfather and found 101. Quite a few had come up since yesterday.

WildmanWilson
04-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Found 86 blacks this morning and also caught about 20 ticks crawling on me.....

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/719/d40236.jpg (http://img685.imageshack.us/i/d40236.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

KYBH4Life
04-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Man, how I envy all you guys finding them...especially those finding them in the hundreds. I couldn't help it....went out again today for a couple hours....again no luck. I wish there was a sure fire way of finding them.

carpkabob
04-09-2011, 01:03 AM
found 8 today they where still small aroun 2'' high they where the yellow ones

Steven Buckley
04-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Found 55 thursday and 70 or so today then caught caught in a Monsoon

carpkabob
04-09-2011, 08:35 PM
i think i got caught in the same storm i bet i had a gallon of water in my boots by the time it stopped i only found about 15 today.

Mepperson
04-10-2011, 11:18 AM
After reading all of this I would like to try some myself. I love mushrooms but am hesitant to try anything I pick for fear of picking something poisonous. What do they tast like? How do you know the difference between a "false" one and the real thing? Are the false ones poisonous? What kind of areas do you find them in? Can you pick them on LBL?

pentail
04-10-2011, 06:37 PM
After reading all of this I would like to try some myself. I love mushrooms but am hesitant to try anything I pick for fear of picking something poisonous. What do they tast like? How do you know the difference between a "false" one and the real thing? Are the false ones poisonous? What kind of areas do you find them in? Can you pick them on LBL?

Mike,

As far as the false ones go, they never really looked like the real thing to me. They are usually larger, more bulbous, and are solid thick all the way through instead of hollow.

Cornmonkey
04-10-2011, 09:14 PM
SCORE! Got a great mess of nice yellars this evening. Pics tomorrow evening, my tec has to get up at 5 in the morning and has already crashed on me. First ones my brother has eaten in 15 years and yep he is hooked to now. I told him they got them in Georgia to but he has to hunt public land and that would be much tougher for sure. Ran into six people this evening looking for them.

Xi Bowhunter
04-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Can some of you that are finding them help me out? I don't know if I am not looking in the right places, or if they aren't up in my area, or what. A friend and I looked for them pretty much all day Saturday, and never found one. We even looked in areas that we know people have found them before.

What I am looking for is info about the county and terrain where they are being found. I live in western ky, and I just wonder if all these reports of people finding them are from places further away from where I live. I also wonder if i need to be looking at hilltops, bottom areas, or what?

WildmanWilson
04-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Can some of you that are finding them help me out? I don't know if I am not looking in the right places, or if they aren't up in my area, or what. A friend and I looked for them pretty much all day Saturday, and never found one. We even looked in areas that we know people have found them before.

What I am looking for is info about the county and terrain where they are being found. I live in western ky, and I just wonder if all these reports of people finding them are from places further away from where I live. I also wonder if i need to be looking at hilltops, bottom areas, or what?

The main thing I look for is poplar trees. That's where I find most of mine. Sometimes elm and sycamore also. If there are very many oaks around the soil seems to be too acidic. I find them on hills, slopes, and low areas. I hunt in Western Ky also so they should be up.

carpkabob
04-11-2011, 10:34 AM
ive been finding several im poplar groves. just go really slow they can hide in plain sight.

jblack1
04-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Poplars are where I find the lions share, Ash, Elm, Sycamore, old fruit orchards can be loaded with them, fence lines, I even find them in fields along the woodline.
I must admit that I've never laid eyes on a false morel, and I've hunted them since I was just a toddler.

Solid body= BAD
Hollow= GOOD
Does that sound about right?

Cornmonkey
04-12-2011, 06:25 PM
http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd497/cornmonkey1/

Shroom photos. Sorry i will try again stupid photo bucket, could be the operator he, he.

Cornmonkey
04-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Poplars are where I find the lions share, Ash, Elm, Sycamore, old fruit orchards can be loaded with them, fence lines, I even find them in fields along the woodline.
I must admit that I've never laid eyes on a false morel, and I've hunted them since I was just a toddler.

Solid body= BAD
Hollow= GOOD
Does that sound about right?

Yep that's one sure way and it looks like an abynormal brain, he! he!. (Frakinshroom)

ril7572
04-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Today was my best day ever. Not sure how many we found, but I am stuffed:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/ril7572/IMG_6635.jpg?t=1302656932

pentail
04-12-2011, 08:31 PM
wow Ril, thats a heck of a haul. Any particular type of area/timber species you were keying on?

ril7572
04-12-2011, 08:57 PM
wow Ril, thats a heck of a haul. Any particular type of area/timber species you were keying on?

Everyone was under a large hickory. When I found one, there were several more there. I have never had much luck finding them, today was a good learning experience, and allot of fun.

turkeyhunter91
04-13-2011, 02:15 PM
me and my dad found about 150 today.

KY_Fried
04-16-2011, 09:54 PM
What a coincidence, that's exactly 150 more then I've found the past few years.

Uprangewilly
04-26-2011, 11:20 AM
I never ate a Morel until last Sunday. I got to say I think im hooked. Tasted really good, similar to mushrooms you would get in a store or restaurant. The texture was a little softer than I'm used to for a mushroom but they taste good. The ones I found were in a cedar thicket. They was the yellow ones and a little thicker than a po can. I didnt expect them to be that big, one was laying over on its side it was so heavy.

So when you folks pick the Morel, do you leave some of the stem or just pluck the whole thing dirt and all?

Xi Bowhunter
04-27-2011, 03:22 PM
How long will morels stay "up" before they go bad or dry out?

bootybandit
04-27-2011, 05:51 PM
I found 65 yesterday, they were beginning to get brittle but didn't have any mold on them. Most of them were "rust" colored but there were some white ones in the bunch.

struttbuster
04-27-2011, 05:53 PM
How long will morels stay "up" before they go bad or dry out? I have heard around two weeks maybe longer depending on weather. The way the weather has been lately they are probably hurting. My experience with them is that moisture is key but heavy rains will make them get soggy and split like a banana. You can tell by looking if there good or not the older they get the darker they will be but they arent bad in my opinion unless they are slimy or really soft. They will also have a soured bad smell. A lot of the ones i have found this year have had the tip missing i am not sure if this is from sun or what but i just cut the bad spots off and enjoy the rest.. They are too hard to find to only keep the perfect ones.

TedB
05-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Found a sack full yesterday. Almost all were in cedar thickets. It got to where I would spot them 100 feet away. Started out filling my hat, then my turkey decoy then I just took off my jacket and piled them in there. Walked just as far this morning and found 4...

Xi Bowhunter
05-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Well, I still haven't found the first one. I don't think it is going to happen for me again this year.

TedB
05-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Xi, where are you looking? I like cedar ridges with a few elms mixed in.