PDA

View Full Version : Landowner Tag Question

chrisj
12-13-2010, 04:17 PM
How does a person go about obtaining and using landowner's tags as far as deer and turkey go? Does anyone have the 411 on landowners tags regs? Thanks for the info guys.

bocohunter
12-13-2010, 04:37 PM
LICENSE-EXEMPT HUNTERS

In some cases, a resident hunter may not be required to buy a hunting license, permits to hunt deer or turkey, or a state waterfowl permit. Here are those situations:

• Kentucky resident owners of farmlands, their spouses and dependent children hunting upon their own farmlands during an open season;

• Tenants, their spouses and dependent children hunting on farmlands where they reside and work (see ‘tenant’ definition on page 65); and

• Kentucky residents on military leave of more than three days in this state who carry identification and papers that verify their leave status.

Resident and nonresident children under the age of 12 are not required to purchase licenses and permits, except the elk lottery application, elk quota hunt permit, out-of-zone elk permit and bear permit.

Other laws still apply!

Hunters exempt from buying licenses and permits are required to follow hunting season laws, bag limits, comply with the hunter orange clothing law, and follow hunter harvest recording, checking and tagging requirements. Kentucky landowners, their legal dependents and their tenants, as described above, ARE subject to the usual license requirements anytime they hunt somewhere other than their own lands.

Hope this helps.This is from the KDFWR website. http://fw.ky.gov/deerguide10generalcheck.asp

Bullfries
12-13-2010, 04:37 PM
LICENSE-EXEMPT HUNTERS

In some cases, a resident hunter may not be required to buy a hunting license, permits to hunt deer or turkey, or a state waterfowl permit. Here are those situations
• Kentucky resident owners of farmlands, their spouses and dependent children hunting upon their own farmlands during an open season;

If you're not an owner or dependent child you cant use them.
If you are you just call in the deer you kill to telecheck and they will ask if you are checking on a landowner tag, if you are you get your telecheck number and make your own carcass tag.

quackrstackr
12-13-2010, 04:49 PM
RECORDING

All successful hunters and trappers must write down harvest information on a hunter harvest log as soon as the animal is recovered and before it is moved. Blank spaces to fill in the required information are provided on the back of any paper license or permit. Otherwise, you may obtain a blank log sheet from a license dealer, use the example in this guide, or make one yourself and complete it as explained on page 13.

Although there are spaces to record five animals on a pre-printed harvest log, that doesn’t necessarily mean you can take that many animals. Season bag limits are in place for each species.

Completing the hunter harvest log:

• If you have a paper license or permit, simply fill in the blanks on the back as indicated on page 13.

• ALL hunters not required to have a license/permit, or who have only a license authorization number, must create their own hunter harvest log and follow the same requirements as noted on page 13 after taking these species.

BJN
12-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Landowners can make their own tag/log on a card/paper. Identify the species, the date, County, sex, and telecheck confirmation number. If you move the carcass off your property make a Carcass Tag. Include......Name, phone number and telecheck confirmation number.

ResidentCombo
12-13-2010, 05:49 PM
If there is a place local that sells licenses, you can just have them run off a chunk of the paper. Kind of handy since it has the phone number and other stuff you need to remember already on it. Hard to write on though,,

Ruffneck
12-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Or if you purchase a fishing liscense the log info is on the back....then when you Telecheck they have a voice prompt for land owners.

Fat Tony
12-14-2010, 06:40 AM
"Kentucky resident owners of farmlands, their spouses and dependent children hunting upon their own farmlands during an open season"

Always wished they'd actually take the time to better define "farmlands" for landowner tag purposes.

Duke D.
12-14-2010, 06:45 AM
Just call in to telecheck with your kill and write down the number if you own the land. This is all I have done since I started hunting.

easternkyhunter
12-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Does a landowner/tenant have to have their hunter education card?

buckfever
12-14-2010, 10:45 AM

Yes. . . . .

Davidlondon4
12-15-2010, 01:58 PM
I would be very curious as to how many deer get checked in by people using a landowner permit that actually dont own the land they are hunting on or meet the requirements stated in the regs for them to be able to hunt without a license.Officials explained at the meetings that hunter numbers were going down and that revenue was going down and that is one of the reasons they are giving expanded opportunites like lengthening the gun seasons, etc. Anyone know if KDFWR actually checks and sees if the people using landowner permits do actually own the land or otherwise meet the requirements?

Duke D.
12-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Yes, they checked me two years ago on my harvest that I had! They gave me a call and we had a 20 minute conversation!

BJN
12-15-2010, 09:34 PM

Landowner hunting only land owned...no tenant isn't addressed in the guide which could lead one to think.....yes.

Kentucky_MAdman
12-17-2010, 08:24 PM
My buddy is a Conservation Officer & he said when he accesses telecheck, it tells him the names of the people that used the landowner tag. Then he can follow up with the person or through the PVA office first.