PDA

View Full Version : Boone county rut?

philipfleek
11-16-2010, 08:16 PM
I hate to repeat stuff on a board, but what do you guys think the NKY (Boone) county rut is doing? I only hunted 2 hours sat with my son-but not many hunters in my family are seeing anything. So,,,,,,,,whats your take on it.

carnivore
11-16-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm seeing some awesome turkeys. And some squirrels that could take down a yote. thats about it.

7mmx2
11-16-2010, 09:09 PM
My uncle took a buck yesterday morning.
He saw a doe and a fawn as well.

My cousin hunting down the road hasn't seen anything with a presentable shot, he has seen 2 bucks and a fawn

That was all in campbell

Two buddies hunting in kenton county harvested a 120 and a 130 class deer on Sunday morning.

Nobody has mentioned chasing or anything remotely close to it

The buck I shot was in a hurry with his nose to the ground

7mmx2
11-17-2010, 06:31 AM
I forgot to add the main part...

My uncle and his friend took a buck each opening morning in Southern Boone County.
They didn't see any chasing either.

boonectyhunter5618
11-17-2010, 09:34 AM
hey fleek, the buck i shot on opening day was chasing a doe and responded very well to grunt calls, snort wheeze. i have also rattled 3 different bucks in this past weekend in petersburg.

8&sand
11-17-2010, 09:38 AM
I hunted Henry county opening weekend & did not see any chasing or deer for that matter. A few does & the same little guy 5 times. My buddy did take a decent 9pt that was with 2 does but not in breed mode he was just hanging with them at a field edge...

LungBlood
11-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Seen 5 does this morning and no bucks!!

Ron612
11-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Been getting alot of Good pictures up to opening day. Since then Nothing !
Deer have left the area. First time ever this has happened :confused:
Mabe the New Full Moon Sunday will help ?

philipfleek
11-17-2010, 03:15 PM
I dont have a clue whats going on. I have family that hunts all over Boone
and no one is seeing movement at all- not even does. Buddy is out right now-
he killed a doe monday night. Hope the family will have some updates later.

ggodwin
11-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Philip,
I am huting the Big Valley between Burlington and Union. Deep hard wood. There is NO agriculture around me.
One week ago Friday 11-5 I moved my stand. From the moment I moved the stand I went from NOT seeing deer to seeing deer every outing.

Fri 11-5 - Saw 6 pointer "trail" two does that crossed a large creek. When the buck got to the creek he went a different direction. Saw a small 8 by him self as I was climbing down.
Sun 11-7 - Saw 3 Bucks none with does. Nothing of any size.
Tues 11-9 - As I was arriving at my stand I hear a deer blow, few minutes later I see a small buck walking closely behind a down apparently getting away from me. But not a chase.
Thur 11-11 - 120 Class 8pt - Should have shot him. He came right passed a mock I made, He was panting, no grunting, he had a point "B" to get to and nothing could stop him. I through bleets, grunts and horns at him. The rattle actually caused him to trot off.
*** New scrapes and rubs show up ***
Fri 11-12 -120 Class 9pt or 10pt. Came by me 80 yds away..same as above nothing phased him and the horns pushed him away.
Mon 11-15 - Two doe got spooked scented me with the Southern Wind, Two "deer" running on top of the ridge. (not sure if it was a chase or not)
Tues 11-16 - This time I made a HUGE "U" shape area of Estrus scent just above me. (In the travel zones) Two doe came in and hung out in the area of the scent and proceeded on their way. 25 yds down trail a 6 pointer joins in behind them. Never chased never really got close to them. Doe #3 comes into the same scented area and "hangs" out with her nose in the air for almost an hour. She seemed confused/spooked at times. (never made me though)

My hunting spot is a really big ridge that has about 200 foot of elevation change from the top to the bottom (big Rocked creek at the bottom) This is done over a 500 foot distance. It is pretty steep. So steep that if they come straingt down they are being very careful. If they come at an angle it is not too bad to trott. I have only seen one buck cross the creek. All the deer that cross do so with extreme caution because of the large rocks. Besides the buck that crossed the creek, I have not seen a buck get with in 50 yards of the water.

Notes:
*** None of my doe look to be mature/big *** (Only one had a small yearling)
*** I have not seen a deer in the area of the "new" scrapes and my trail cam had a "goose" egg on it Monday am.
*** The majority of the deer are staying "UP RIDGE" since 11-9 very few are down near me.
*** On top of the ridge it is VERY VERY thick with a lot of cover.
*** I have had only one doe cross the creek and come in behind me.
*** 65% of all the deer action is deer in the middle to upper half and moving horizontal at mid ridge. 30% is deer coming off the top and coming down. 5% is deer coming up the hill.

Considering how the larger bucks have acted; Ignoring bleets, grunts and running from horns. All, I can think of is that they have been dominated by a mature deer and want NO part in the action.

All I can conclude is that the heat is on....but not in "this" part of my woods. I think the bigger deer are up on top of the ridge. In fact, I am becoming conserned that the deer feel like they do not have a good escape and are being boxed in by this creek. By staying on top of the ridge they have several escape routes. This week, I am considering finding a spot up near the top and hoping and I can make the climb in stealth mode. It will be tough and I will need a wind with a Northern slant to it.

mccordmark1
11-17-2010, 04:46 PM
The buck i got on opening day was chasing a doe @ 4:45. But that was the only thing I saw going on. My dad and brother have been hunting all week and said still not seeing much action still. Right down the road in Gallatin County

Kane84
11-17-2010, 05:21 PM
I have seen several does and a few small bucks through out the week. That being none of the bucks i have seen have been trailing doe.

bnt5
11-17-2010, 05:59 PM
I have seen only 1 decent buck to date and that was a week ago, all the other bucks I have seen have been little and there was no chasing going on. I am at a loss myself, I have been seeing does together in groups of 2-3 but thats about it.

LungBlood
11-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Philip,
I am huting the Big Valley between Burlington and Union. Deep hard wood. There is NO agriculture around me.
One week ago Friday 11-5 I moved my stand. From the moment I moved the stand I went from NOT seeing deer to seeing deer every outing.

Fri 11-5 - Saw 6 pointer "trail" two does that crossed a large creek. When the buck got to the creek he went a different direction. Saw a small 8 by him self as I was climbing down.
Sun 11-7 - Saw 3 Bucks none with does. Nothing of any size.
Tues 11-9 - As I was arriving at my stand I hear a deer blow, few minutes later I see a small buck walking closely behind a down apparently getting away from me. But not a chase.
Thur 11-11 - 120 Class 8pt - Should have shot him. He came right passed a mock I made, He was panting, no grunting, he had a point "B" to get to and nothing could stop him. I through bleets, grunts and horns at him. The rattle actually caused him to trot off.
*** New scrapes and rubs show up ***
Fri 11-12 -120 Class 9pt or 10pt. Came by me 80 yds away..same as above nothing phased him and the horns pushed him away.
Mon 11-15 - Two doe got spooked scented me with the Southern Wind, Two "deer" running on top of the ridge. (not sure if it was a chase or not)
Tues 11-16 - This time I made a HUGE "U" shape area of Estrus scent just above me. (In the travel zones) Two doe came in and hung out in the area of the scent and proceeded on their way. 25 yds down trail a 6 pointer joins in behind them. Never chased never really got close to them. Doe #3 comes into the same scented area and "hangs" out with her nose in the air for almost an hour. She seemed confused/spooked at times. (never made me though)

My hunting spot is a really big ridge that has about 200 foot of elevation change from the top to the bottom (big Rocked creek at the bottom) This is done over a 500 foot distance. It is pretty steep. So steep that if they come straingt down they are being very careful. If they come at an angle it is not too bad to trott. I have only seen one buck cross the creek. All the deer that cross do so with extreme caution because of the large rocks. Besides the buck that crossed the creek, I have not seen a buck get with in 50 yards of the water.

Notes:
*** None of my doe look to be mature/big *** (Only one had a small yearling)
*** I have not seen a deer in the area of the "new" scrapes and my trail cam had a "goose" egg on it Monday am.
*** The majority of the deer are staying "UP RIDGE" since 11-9 very few are down near me.
*** On top of the ridge it is VERY VERY thick with a lot of cover.
*** I have had only one doe cross the creek and come in behind me.
*** 65% of all the deer action is deer in the middle to upper half and moving horizontal at mid ridge. 30% is deer coming off the top and coming down. 5% is deer coming up the hill.

Considering how the larger bucks have acted; Ignoring bleets, grunts and running from horns. All, I can think of is that they have been dominated by a mature deer and want NO part in the action.

All I can conclude is that the heat is on....but not in "this" part of my woods. I think the bigger deer are up on top of the ridge. In fact, I am becoming conserned that the deer feel like they do not have a good escape and are being boxed in by this creek. By staying on top of the ridge they have several escape routes. This week, I am considering finding a spot up near the top and hoping and I can make the climb in stealth mode. It will be tough and I will need a wind with a Northern slant to it.

Great report, Thanks alot.

hunternky
11-24-2010, 02:09 AM
This rut has been weird but i did kill a big 8 last thursday at 2:35 in the afternoon i will post pics when i figure out how to do it. He was by himself and feeding in a small food plot.